Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Who knows the SEST well for some input?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2009, 07:03 PM
jrudicel
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Who knows the SEST well for some input?

Got a 09 SG...dealer threw in a SESRT and SE AC kit in the deal.. Am running stock muff's for a while til I raise some funds for exhaust. Asked dealer about Putting on my AC kit and installing the SESRT now so I could retune for excessive heat mainly. I realize it wont perform like it should til I get exgaust etc... Going from a 06 that was SERT tuned and had Rineharts, this 09 seemed aweful hot and we all know they are really lean anyways, so figured it couldnt hurt anything.
Anyhow, they installed the AC kit and the SESRT and they showed me a few basics on the SESRT software. They loaded me a map 205TD004 off the CD and then they changed the red highlighted fields on the AFR table from 14.6 to 14.2 and that was it.
Doesnt seem like much of a change and since I have the CD and cables, thinking of doing some data logging and tuning it a little more myself.. Just learning and playing more than anything really til I get new pipes. Any suggestions on what I can do better or different than they did for the time being? Seems like I out to be richer at idle for heat shouldnt I ?
If any one has the software like me and can look at the map 205TD004 and give me some suggestions, that would be great! After reading around , the PCV or TTS looks a little more freindly for home tuning, but mine came on my deal so oh well...lol
Thanks for any knowlege anyone wants to share...

Old 07-04-2009, 01:49 PM
HERKO
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not unusual for a dealer to package the SEST in with a deal.
What is unusual is for a dealer to competently support it let alone properly tune with it.

Taking the AFR cells from 14.6 to 14.2 may have good bar room merit but that's a total crap shoot without calibrating the VE tables. Plus they put you in Open Loop only by doing that.
You may be running at 16.2 (or worse) to 12.2 or who knows without Closed Loop and proper VE calibration.

I operate a low volume tuning facility and have changed three very willing DBW bike owners (09 included) from the SEST to the TTS just in the past month. The capabilities of the TTS make it much easier to get a best-it-can-be tune on the bike.

If you're a do it yourself kind of guy get the TTS now from wherever and enjoy the competent tech support that's available in a multitude of places. Sooner the better. Even though you'd be putting the SEST on the shelf, you and your bike will be glad you did.

Old 07-04-2009, 04:26 PM
jrudicel
Road Captain

HerkoBagger,
Thanks so much for the reply and knowledge. I need to clear up a few things first... I bought the bike non local to me and many many miles away...like 350 miles. Its the 3rd new Harley in like 2-3 years I bought from them and keep going back as they treat me really well.
My closest dealer never has wanted to "deal" so to speak on bikes, but has always done me ok on service and such. I also have a buddy that works in service there and he is the one that works on my bike and also the one that did the quick download with my SESRT.
Now, I ran into this when I had my 06.. He dyno tuned my bike with a Harley map and only changed the AFR table...Had trouble with pinging and such and ended up getting a map from Mike at Latus Harley. Bike ran fine then and no problems even though I know it would have been better off a dyno. I have learned that the local dealer really doesnt understand tuning or maybe never trained correctly for sure.
Fast forward to this 09... Got the SESRT on the deal and thought it would save me some money from buying a tuner later. Just wanted the local dealer to reduce my heat while I was breaking it in and such and I would dyno tune somewhere once I got my pipes. Watched what he did etc...
NOW, after doing alot of reading online and doing alot of reading on how the ECM and 02 sensors work on.. I realize like you pointed out that this is all jacked up. Read some manuals online on how to tune with the TTS etc, and it seems like to have some more features than the SESRT... Wish I would have known that before I negotiated the SESRT on the deal as I think I would have leaned toward the TTS.. Live and learn. thats my luck.

If you could explain a few things to help me learn some more on this tuning thing... Why does changing the AFR table throw you out of Closed loop function? I have the cables and the SESRT software myself.. Would I be better off putting the map 205td004 back in WITHOUT jacking the AFR table? I realize the VE tables wont still be right as I still have stock muff's with my SE AC kit. Seems like alot of people say to set the AFR tables where they want and then tune the VE tables til the sniffer readings match? Is that right? And then theres timing and bias tables and etc etc etc lol

Any help is greatly appreciated. Really wish now i would have known then what I know now. thats how it usually goes for me. ..lol Very interesting to learn etc for sure.

Thanks again!

Old 07-04-2009, 05:56 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Herkabagger is exactly right.
I would rather run a engine at 14.6 that some other number if I had no other impute that that. at least the ECM would control to that.
the TTS Mastertune soundt to me what you would really llike. It is for people who will take the time to understand a few things. Then you are free.
It will tell you the VE the engine wants.
Put in a MAP about what you have and then tune to the VE.

Old 07-05-2009, 09:51 AM
bdn56
Road Captain

jrudicel, I used an engine tuner from Atlanta. He is very good with the maps using the SEST.
If you search his posts or PM him with your info, he might be able to get you started in the right direction. The tuners name on this forum is Mr Wizard.

Fuel controllers are like engine oil, everybody has their favorites that work good for them

Good luck.

Old 07-05-2009, 04:58 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

And on the ARF question about closed loop
The AFR table showes the places the ECM controls to Closed loop, only when 14.6 is shown.
On my bike I set 14.6 from 1500-4000 RPM and 20%-65% on Manifole Pressure (Load)
This is where most of my routein riding is.
The other places is mostly between 13.2-13.4. Wide open or high RPM's. 100% throddle and 4500 RPM may be at 12.5 I believe.
The engine will control to this these other AFR's if the VE tables are right. In open loop it uses all the other data points to calculate ARF. Gotta know the VE of the engine and everyone is different. VE is the most important if the other engine constance are right. CI and injector size, etc,etc.

So you can put in a reasonable program. Anybody with a laptop can do it.
First
Adjust the ARF tables to real world. You can change the BIAS pages to 700 from what ever it is on the program you select. (This slants the ARF to maybe 14.3 from 14.6, a little better for cooling)
Save the new adjustments and then Program the ECM.

Takes 10 times longer to write about that do it especially after a few times.

Only reason I even mention the TTS Mastertuner is it is the only tuner except a Dyno tuner that figures VE.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 07-05-2009 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:43 PM
jrudicel
Road Captain

Thanks for the insight and help Gunny ,Herko, and BDN....
Makes sense. I may try and change the Bias table on that map and relaod it for now. Kinda wished I would have known what I know now about the TTS ...Sounds like a winner for sure the way it helps with the VE tables...

Old 07-06-2009, 10:02 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

Well I had a SERT, still do really, but went ahead and got a TTS. What to hell.

Old 07-06-2009, 02:09 PM
HERKO
Cruiser

"Fuel controllers are like engine oil, everybody has their favorites that work good for them"

True.

But for his circumstance the SEST support and info available is comparably minute and typically inadequate.
Plus, there's no good way to self-tune with a SEST unless a portable sniffer device is purchased and set up. Or take it to a competent SEST Tuner which is a good plan. Either way though, the investment would be that of a TTS.

A new TTS is about 2% (two) of the total bike investment. Small price to pay for the potential results and avoidance of impending frustration. As Gunny said, this won't be the first time (and won't be the last) that someone shelved an SEST and purchased a TTS.