Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

What pipes are you running on your softail with TTS Mastertune?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 08:02 PM
jmg343
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question What pipes are you running on your softail with TTS Mastertune?

Im running the hooker troublemakers which have a diameter of 2.5". I sent my finished tune to a very reputable tuner and he noticed that the O2 sensors were sending signals to the ECM that were asking for a lot of fuel at 2, 5, and 7% throttle positions. Basically, the motor was making maximum power (torque) at these throttle positions when it should be doing so closer to 30% throttle. The tuner says the reason for this is the large diameter of my pipes and that the way to fix the problem is to get a set of pipes with a smaller diameter so that the velocity of my exhaust gasses leaving the bike increases. I find it hard to believe that I am the only one out there running pipes of this diameter and the TTS at the same time. The V&H big radius are the same, no? As are other similar pipes Im sure. So does anyone else experience a similar issue? Any other "master tuners" out there want to check out my tune and tell me if there are some adjustments I can make?
thanks
Jake

on edit: I dont race or anything but do ride hard most of the time. I cruise around 80 and usually run the gears out to about 3000-3500 RPM Id say, Ive got no tach. The bike runs great and has all the power I need, but then again, who'd say no to more power?

Last edited by jmg343; 07-01-2009 at 08:05 PM.
Old 07-02-2009, 08:56 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the V&H big radius 2-1.
also use the SE58 mm intake.
My VE tables ask for a lot of fuel low throttle. So I give it what it wants. thats the nice thing about the TTS MS.

Old 07-02-2009, 03:24 PM
jmg343
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Old Gunny
I have the V&H big radius 2-1.
also use the SE58 mm intake.
My VE tables ask for a lot of fuel low throttle. So I give it what it wants. thats the nice thing about the TTS MS.
Agreed. But doesnt that mean that you, too, are being robbed of some torque where your should be getting it?

Old 07-04-2009, 05:48 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

The TTS Mastertune can tell you what the engine needs. It is what it is.
One can blend in the VE tables and add rich or lean where you can or want. This works real good where the program is not in close loop. I have my close loop set from 1500 to 4000 RPM and MAP from 20-65%. Most of the settings outside that are 13.2 AFR.
The tailpipe is brown, the plugs are just right, no black smoke and everything runs good. Gets 43 MPG and oil temp runs somewhere around 200 Degrees (do have a Jagg oil cooler) and it is 98 degrees around here right now.
Seems all I could ask for.

Old 07-05-2009, 08:58 PM
jmg343
Cruiser

Sounds like you are just about perfect then. I have yet to check my plugs, my pipes are perfect, no black smoke, runs great, last tank hand calculated I got 42.6 MPG riding pretty hard, mixed highway and backroads. My oil runs a bit warmer, say 210-230 but Ive got no oil cooler. Id say Im good and should probably leave everything alone and as is. I blended all my VE tables exactly the way one is supposed to and exaclty the way the engine wanted them. Ill just leave well enough alone. Thanks for your input, take care.
Jake

Old 07-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

I have found the TTS Mastertune is a lot like, "Is that all there is to it, so easy".
Fool around with it way more that you need seeking very tiny maybe results.

Go Ride.

Old 07-06-2009, 03:19 PM
jmg343
Cruiser

It was very easy. I feel like there is more I should or could do. But Im happy the way it is. Im riding so often that I dont really have too much time to tune anyhow. 9,000 miles so far this year.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:05 AM
Zacharia_11
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running LSR 1 3/4" 2:1. I don't have a big enough build to support the 2" header pipes.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:34 PM
jmg343
Cruiser

1 3/4" seems to be the best for stage 1 mods. Ive got hooker troublemakers. The end measures 2.5 inches. Where the pipes mate up to the cylinders I havent measured but imagine them to be about 2". It is too big for my mods, but works. The reason the Mastertune is asking for all of that fuel, and making all that power, so low in the throttle range is because the 2" pipes lead the o2 sensors to send some funky info to the ECM.

Old 07-08-2009, 05:44 PM
Zacharia_11
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jmg343
1 3/4" seems to be the best for stage 1 mods. Ive got hooker troublemakers. The end measures 2.5 inches. Where the pipes mate up to the cylinders I havent measured but imagine them to be about 2". It is too big for my mods, but works. The reason the Mastertune is asking for all of that fuel, and making all that power, so low in the throttle range is because the 2" pipes lead the o2 sensors to send some funky info to the ECM.
If you have a 96ci build I imagine your diluted at the sensors? Not enough volume pumping thru at that low rpm range to properly tell the sensors whats going on. I read that the 2" diameter is really for builds greater than 103ci. Not really sure how you could 'untrick' your O2 sensors to account for the missmatch or if you need to? But it makes sense to me even if my logic is jacked...

My 1 3/4" go to a 3" 2:1 collector. I haven't had it dyno'd so cant say for sure whether the tech would have something similar to say to me.

Quick Reply: What pipes are you running on your softail with TTS Mastertune?