Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Re-programming ECM for weather changes

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 01:51 AM
2006 Street Glide4me
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re-programming ECM for weather changes

Having spent 25+ years drag racing everything from street cars to 7 second injected dragsters to Pro Stock Motorcycles (crew only, aint gettin me to ride one of those things), I've come to learn just how much slight changes in the weather (temperature, barometric pressure, density altitude, etc...) affect the performance of an engine. For example, at very high altitude and/or air temperature, engines require less fuel because there is less air available to mix with the fuel. On the other hand, very cool and/or low altitude conditions require more fuel because there is more air available to burn with the fuel.

So, now that I'm slowly learning how to program the ECM on my 06 Street Glide with the SERT program on my laptop, I'm beginning to wonder how many maps I'm going to have to have for a year of riding. Here in Phoenix, we have wonderful weather in the 40's to 60's in the winter which will require a fairly rich (low AFR) tune-up. However, in the summer, it can reach 115 degrees and this will require a much leaner (high AFR) tune-up.

Anyone else given any thought to this "multiple MAP" idea ?