Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Need some help with a PCIII today.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 11:20 AM
OhioSkully
Club Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Need some help with a PCIII today.

Ok i talked to fuel moto and iam still under warranty but i would have to pull out the PCIII and ship to them so thus be with out my fuel managment.

That being said i my buddy that does alot of work on bikes told me to try and re down load the map and set the bike back up i have never done this before.

Is the map on the disk you get with the power commander or should i have fuel moto email me the map?

What else should i do or look for.

Here is what is going on bike is a 2007 dyna superglide custom with V&H big radius 2/2, stage I AC, and PCIII

Intermitten issues are :
when coming to a stop the bike will just die sometimes happened twice saturday
When coming off freeway after running hard around 80 for long distance the bike will idle way down almost like its going to die and then have to bip the throttle to keep it running
When taking off or running down the road while giving the bike throttle it will just cut out for split second
Was running the twisties the other day and stopped then when i fired back up and took off was popping and craking on decel shut off the bike and it was fine when restarted

Same with most problems mentioned above if bike died or idled down if i shut it down and started back up it was fine

And all these issues are sparadic come and go no rhyme or reason.

Old 06-08-2009, 11:42 AM
RCB
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Skully go to www.powercommander.com for a new map.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:53 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member

Ok we will see what happens. I took the pcIII out checked all connections and played hell putting it back in sucks.

I dumped and reset the PCIII reloaded my map and reset the throttle position seems to run alright at present as i took for a test ride but like i said problems were intermitten so time will tell.

Old 06-08-2009, 07:20 PM
RCB
Road Warrior

Skully it was recommended to me when I purchased mine to update every couple of month as they update the maps regularly. I have had mine for about 3 1/2 years or so now and have not had any problems. Ride safe.

Old 06-09-2009, 06:30 AM
TickTock
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you may also want to check your crank position sensor. I had similar issues a while back with my sg and that is what it turned out to be.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:50 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,291 Likes on 1,584 Posts

I am in a similar situation with the PCIII on my 07 FXDC.

Had many of the same issues you seem to be dealing with. The bike hasn't run correctly since about a month after I had it installed.

Lately I have been getting up and down idle issues, real low one run, real high another. The bike finally threw a P0505 code (loss of idle control). Took it in to the dealer, who is also a Power Commander tuning center, and the diagnosis came back as a bad PCIII unit.

Power Commander wouldn't let it be warrantied without a bench test. 5 days to get it to them, 7-10 business days there and 5 days to get another back to me.

I am fixing to leave central NC and head to Laconia in less than a week. I had 3 choices.

Run 3000 miles without it.
Buy another new one and reload the maps from my dyno runs.
Have a SERT installed.

It's a drag, I had it installed at a PC authorized dealer, and checked at an authorized dealer/tuning center, but it still needs to be gone for 20 days.

Once the bad unit is checked and found to be defective, I'll get one back under warranty.

Hope you have better luck than I am. Guess I'll fire another money missle at the bike.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:04 PM
mainshaft
Road Warrior

I had an issue with mine, but it turned out the indy that did the dyno work never put my PCIII back on the velcro/tie wrapped it up and my drive belt ate it. Good luck and have a safe run North.

Old 06-10-2009, 12:38 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 5,291 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Thanks,

Went with the SERT and got the bike back Tuesday afternoon. Had it out for about 100 miles today and she seems to be pretty happy.

Nothing worse than having issues when you are a week from heading out. But, it looks clear now.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:43 PM
OhioSkully
Club Member

Good deal toypuller.

As of right now the bike is running good and idling good so got my fingers crossed and hope it sticks.

I was like you didn't want to be with out the pcIII or bike for that long so iam hoping i got my problem fixed.

If not i may go with a sert and return the pcIII and sell the new one i get back i don't want to go that route so iam hoping that everything stays good right now she's running great and good idle

Old 06-11-2009, 02:20 AM
relxn88
Advanced

I leave the PC cable attached and run up under the seat. That way I can hook up the computer to the Power Commander easily. Maybe a little silicone around where the cable goes into th Power Commander. I also make sure the Control Center Throttle position is always reading a "0" , with a warmed up engine, at idle. Just food for thought.

Quick Reply: Need some help with a PCIII today.