Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Frustating Electical Issue, Help Appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 05:25 PM
Deamon2002
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Frustating Electical Issue, Help Appreciated

Need any help anyone can give. Her's the deal, 2003 HD Heritage Softail FI, sat in the garage for the past 3 months now, I go to start it and the batery was dead so I put it on the maintainer so it'll charge.

It charged but now only the spedo will light up and it will read mileage on the ACC setting on the master switch. When I turn it to IGN it completely goes dead, I read 12V from the battery to ACC and in the OFF position, but when switched to IGN it drops to nothing. The horn, turn signals, lights, highway lights, and turn signals will not activate in either position. Alternatively, if its on ACC and I hit the key fob for the security it will reset the lights in the speedo or if I push a turn signal button it will do the same.

And to add insult to injury I let it set earlier while I took a break, came out and flipped the switch to IGN and the lights come on hit the run switch and hear the fuel pump and push the start and *CLACK*, from the starter, then it goes dead. Also if I wait a while the neutal and oil lights will light for a short time and then begin to fade, or the oil light will come on dimly then flip back off.

I've checked the main charge on the battery, checked conections, disasebled the master switch and cleaned all the contacts there, no popped fuses, no arcing any where and nothing getting hotter than ambient air other then the rear tail light bulb for some unexplained reason. also on ACC I read 12V to the rear light but no lights.

This gremlin will pay for his insolence, maybe I need a new bell. Thanks for any help you can give!

Old 06-03-2009, 06:25 PM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

How old is the battery? 2003

It sounds like yours has gone bad, it might be time for a new one. If you have a buddy you could 'borrow' his battery to trouble shoot and see if that really is the issue before you get a new one.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:52 PM
dh2683
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the battery is shot. If it were holding a charge that could start your bike you should be reading 12.6-12.75 volts with nothing on. 12v is less than 25% of a charged battery.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:09 PM
Deamon2002
Stage II

Thanks for the input, ya'll think Autozone or something similar would be able to test the battery? Little more info I just let it set for about an hour and now it all lights up but does the classic clack of not enough amperage to the starter. And yes the battery is original, I suppose this last run down from it sitting did it in. The reading is more in the high 11s to 12 range, if 12.75 is required it is definetly insufficient.

Also I was able to move the dash about as I had it removed to service the master switch and it seemed to light up more if I moved it about. I was unable to replicate this effect after a short time, and it quickly returned to a no power situation. Just trying to keep everyone informed incase it is a switch, relay, or control module I have not thought of yet.

All that aside my next course of action will be the test of the battery. I can not express my gratitude enough for what may seem like a trivial thing to some, but to me honest help is a rare comodity these days and I dare not let it go unrecognized.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:24 PM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

If its the original and it where me I would be getting a new one anyway before it leaves you high and dry at a gas station in boonesville.

A test should prove out as long as they peform some kind of load test as well. I have read at least two posts recently where the battery tested out fine from the dealership, and in one case the guy brought his bike into the dealership to have it looked at cause it still wasn't working right and the damn dealership told him he had a bad battery. Same one that said it was good when he brought the battery in to test!

Check this out!

Last edited by Zacharia_11; 06-03-2009 at 08:26 PM. Reason: New link