Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Local Dealers will not do the Stage 1 download?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 11:38 AM
vaughn4380
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Local Dealers will not do the Stage 1 download?

Bear with me here, this isn’t the usual “do I need fuel management” question.

So I just bought a 2009 Heritage Softail and want to get a Stage 1 completed. I had a 2003 sportster a few years ago and a Stage 1 really helped the motor achieve more “pep”. Of course the sportster was carbed and my Heritage is FI. So my dealer I purchased the bike from told me the only way to upgrade exhaust (I want the SE street legal slip-ons) and air cleaner (I want the SE Stage 1 intake kit) was to install a Fuelpak and void the warranty. Not wanting to void my warranty I declined to have anything installed when I picked the bike up last week. Over the past week I have “lurked” on this forum and found out that Harley has the “street legal ECM download” available for those that purchase the Stage 1 air kit. Harley’s website even says this when you pull up the air kit. So I called the dealer again and received the same line of “you need to buy a fuelpak and it will void your warranty”.

Now here is where it gets weird. I called three other dealers (the only other dealers within a two-hour drive of my house) and all said the same thing. I even asked about the specific download mentioned on Harley’s website and the service manager said “the download is only for bikes with the stock exhaust and air filter, it will not work with any exhaust or air cleaner modifications”. Anyone else been told this by their dealer? I really do not want to void the warranty and if I can’t get a Stage 1 download I will probably just keep the bike stock until the warranty is up, then look at a fuelpak I guess.

Any suggestions on how to proceed? Maybe show the service managers Harley's website,?

Old 06-02-2009, 11:42 AM
dan1551
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Cal the motor company ask them. They will probably try and sell you SERT instead. I`m sure they would like to know what their dealers are doing! Look for a new dealer!

Last edited by dan1551; 06-02-2009 at 11:45 AM.
Old 06-02-2009, 11:59 AM
pugs
Tourer

I have an 08 superglide. I got the stage I, python pipes and new air cleaner through the dealer. Got a race tuner with it. No waranty problems when I did it.

Old 06-02-2009, 12:19 PM
vaughn4380
Advanced

Originally Posted by dan1551
Cal the motor company ask them. They will probably try and sell you SERT instead. I`m sure they would like to know what their dealers are doing! Look for a new dealer!
I thought about calling HD, but wasn't sure that would be the best idea. There are only 4 dealers within 2 hours of my house so finding another one is out of the question. I will still need to have the bike serviced somewhere and would prefer to not tick off the shops that will be doing the service.

Old 06-02-2009, 01:51 PM
vaughn4380
Advanced

Originally Posted by pugs
I have an 08 superglide. I got the stage I, python pipes and new air cleaner through the dealer. Got a race tuner with it. No waranty problems when I did it.

But have you needed to use the warranty at all? My dealer was very specific that a race tuner or fuelpak would eliminate any warranty on the motor.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Jason@ThunderCreekCustoms
Banned

Research the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.Some dealers use the voided warranty spiel, but the only way a fuel management system will void your warranty, is if it causes direct damage or failure to the parts involved, and then it would only void the warranty for those parts and labor. I think dealers themselves do not always know the law so they result to this old myth. Hope this helps and yes I run a PCIII on a new bike.

Old 06-02-2009, 03:42 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 131 Posts

In order for the dealer to do a stage 1 download, they have to have digital technician II computer and software which costs the dealership over 10 grand, it is possible that they don't have the right tools to do the download therefore they push the fuel pack instead. (then cover their rears by telling you it will void the warranty).

Old 06-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior

I think Jason and HarleyTuner both have got it right!

Old 06-02-2009, 07:55 PM
vaughn4380
Advanced

Originally Posted by harleytuner
In order for the dealer to do a stage 1 download, they have to have digital technician II computer and software which costs the dealership over 10 grand, it is possible that they don't have the right tools to do the download therefore they push the fuel pack instead. (then cover their rears by telling you it will void the warranty).

Interesting, thanks for the input.

Old 06-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Cage Dodger
Intermediate

(the following was paraphrased from another topic)

I recently acquired a 2005 FLHTP-I, a former Police bike. I was basically bone stock, minus all the usual Police lights. I wanted to upgrade to a Screamin' Eagle Stage I intake. I don't plan on changing the stock mufflers. They are quiet but still have a nice sound. The holes in the tips seem plenty big. And I may put in a stereo later, so I don't want the bike loud.

I talked to one my local Harley Techs and he told me I should do the Stage I Download. He said the Download was made specifically for the intake upgrade that I wanted to do. So, $150 later (for the Download plus the $150 for the SE Stage I kit, which I'd already bought) I'm a happy camper. The bike runs basically how it ran before, but better, with a little more passing power. When I say it runs like it ran before, I mean that it fires right up, there is no surging or uneven idle, no flat spot on acceleration and no popping on deceleration.

I'd find another dealer if I could. I don't think a Stage I Download will void a warranty, provided a Harley Certified Technician does the work. I'm lucky enough to have a good dealer with a good service department. Several of the Techs I've known (and trusted) for 20 years.

Good luck and ride safe.

Cage

Quick Reply: Local Dealers will not do the Stage 1 download?