Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Local Dealers will not do the Stage 1 download?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2009, 07:08 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

If you loaded a new map with a TTS I don't think a Harley shop could prove you did anything without pulling the map with their own TTS and checking it against the stock map. There would be no visible modifications, so I doubt it would ever be an issue.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:32 AM
pugs
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vaughn4380
But have you needed to use the warranty at all? My dealer was very specific that a race tuner or fuelpak would eliminate any warranty on the motor.
I had to bring it in for a rear blinker that didn't work (i know that that is not necessarily engine work) and they fixed it under warranty no questions asked. I have not had to have specific engine repairs done though. I will ask them the next time I am up there and confirm to be sure.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:39 AM
vaughn4380
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cage Dodger
(the following was paraphrased from another topic)

I don't think a Stage I Download will void a warranty...
Correct, that is exactly why I wanted the Stage 1 download and not another after market device. Like yourself, I have no plans for future mods beyond the air kit and slip-ons.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:05 AM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

If you loaded a new map with a TTS I don't think a Harley shop could prove you did anything without pulling the map with their own TTS and checking it against the stock map. There would be no visible modifications, so I doubt it would ever be an issue.
A harley shop can read the ECM info and tell what calibration is in it, if it is changed from stock they can / will know. The calibration is basically a computer file with a name, the name is a number, when you laod a MAP with TTS, SERT, SEST and even a download, the ECM has a new calibration number.

Old 02-04-2011, 05:15 PM
txscootertrash
6th Gear

The HD stealer in Sierra Vista AZ said"HD does not do the download Stage 1 anymore" and pushed the SERT. The stealer in El Paso TX had no issues doing the download Stage 1. One is a very small dealership and one is a very large one. Seems it has to do with the hardware they can afford. For me the choice between the dealer who will lie to you and the one who does not is not a choice at all.

Old 02-05-2011, 07:43 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by txscootertrash
The HD stealer in Sierra Vista AZ said"HD does not do the download Stage 1 anymore" and pushed the SERT. The stealer in El Paso TX had no issues doing the download Stage 1. One is a very small dealership and one is a very large one. Seems it has to do with the hardware they can afford. For me the choice between the dealer who will lie to you and the one who does not is not a choice at all.
Wow you had to dig pretty deep in the archives for this one, 2 and a half years old. HD now has a Pro race tuner and a street tuner. The street tuner allows the dealer (only) to load EPA legal MAPS on a bike, basically it will be phasing out the downloads if it hasn't already. The Pro tuner allows users to edit the MAPs, tune or whatever.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:31 PM
txscootertrash
6th Gear

Well yes I did, better to search than be back-handed for asking a repeat question. As of today things are still the same with the mentioned dealers. They seem to "suggest" based on what they have the means to do, not what is out there or what is best for the customer. That is why digging around on this forum is so helpful. btw The EP dealer gave me more than one option and I respected that. Not so wtih the other dealer.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:29 PM
harleytuner
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by txscootertrash
Well yes I did, better to search than be back-handed for asking a repeat question. As of today things are still the same with the mentioned dealers. They seem to "suggest" based on what they have the means to do, not what is out there or what is best for the customer. That is why digging around on this forum is so helpful. btw The EP dealer gave me more than one option and I respected that. Not so wtih the other dealer.
Cool, I can respect that. More people should learn the search feature.

Old 02-08-2011, 08:08 PM
werdna65
4th Gear

JUst a thought if you can do the air and exhaust, You can also do the FuelPak, it's super easy, have need of warranty take it offand your back to stock

Old 02-14-2011, 04:16 PM
Firetender
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by werdna65
JUst a thought if you can do the air and exhaust, You can also do the FuelPak, it's super easy, have need of warranty take it offand your back to stock
Just once more: federal law requires the dealer at their expense to prove in court that the offending part caused the failure they want to refuse warranty coverage over. They CANNOT void your warranty for using aftermarket parts! Period.

Quick Reply: Local Dealers will not do the Stage 1 download?