Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

EFI Engine Heat Management on 2006 Heritage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 11:03 PM
foxmcf
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default EFI Engine Heat Management on 2006 Heritage?

Hi guys -

First time HD owner; traded in my rice burner. Just purchased a 2006 Heritage ST Classic, fuel injected. The owners manual says that only the FLSTSCI has the 4 phase heat management feature.

Is it possible that the previous owner was able to 'download' that in the Heritage? The bike has Vance and Hines pipes, and the air intake doesn't look to be stock.

How can I know for sure?

The reason I ask, is that I just spent the day in heavy traffic, and had moments where I was stopped. I noticed that the engine idle speed seemed to drop; and I could definitely feel the heat. The user manual says thats normal with the Phase 1 or 2 Heat Management phase kicking in.

Can someone tell me what I can look for?

Thanks in advance
Fox

Old 06-02-2009, 07:30 PM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

I am confused. Your saying the owners manual is telling you about a feature of your bike but your wondering if the previous owner installed it?

Heat management on my '08 is built in to the programing on the ECM, the only way you would know it is to recognise the behaviour of heat management mode or to be recording your ECM data while it was occuring. My heat managment has 2 modes that are triggered by several conditions picked up by sensors in the bike. In the first mode the fuel mixture is increased to cool the engine, in the second mode a cylinder is shut down to reduce the heat. I can really only notice the second mode w/o monitoring the bikes ECM data.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:56 PM
foxmcf
Stage II

Sorry - I wasn't very clear. My owners manual covers all softail models, and it says the Springer Classic (FLSTSCI) is the only 2006 model that came with it. I have a Heritage fuel injected model (FLSTCI). I'm wondering how I can tell if it has the 'download', and does the 'download' even include the heat management feature?

As far as ECM, and monitoring, etc... way out of my capabilities. From reading many of the other posts on this site, I believe I'd have to take it to HD Service Shop to tell. I'll just enjoy the bike and not worry about that. Bike runs real good, and I'm having tons of fun with it. I'm 20 years use to those foreign bikes, where I never had to worry about heat, oil temp, etc. I was more curious than anything else.

Thanks though.
Fox