Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Dyna Passing Lamp Installation

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 10:10 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Dyna Passing Lamp Installation

I posted this earlier in the Dyna section, guess I could have started here.

I have a set of passing lamps to put on my '04 Superglide and what I'd like to know is if anyone bypassed the supplied wiring harness, relay and handlebar switch and successfully wired them directly to the headlamp circuit w/o overloading it? It seems like a pretty straight forward install, wiring up the lights to an existing switch and a power source. I've already looked through the DIY section on the forum, which is helpful, but the wiring alternatives seem to be based on a Road King or Ultra that already have the passing lamps installed on an accessory switch, not the add-on lights like on the Dynas.

Any help would be appreciated.

Old 05-15-2006, 01:43 AM
kiltiemon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dyna Passing Lamp Installation

I'm doing the very same thing on my Dyna Wide Glide (2001).

Got some old Harley sealed beam spots and brackets (not the bar type) on ebay... thinking I'd like the nostalgic look!

Interesting that the spots seem to be wired as Postive Ground... any ideas on that? Not a problem, of course, but it is interesting.

Plan to wire off of a spare fused circuit in fuse box, toss a relay into the works and wire it up that way. I'm still trying to figure out the limited (to me, anyway) power supply, and would like to go 55 watt spots and 80-100 headlight. Not certain if I can find quartz halogen type sealed beams for this size, but am going to try! Everything else is LED with the usualy hoopla of rear Turn Signal/Running Light/Brake Light (pulsing, of course)/LED plate surround wired both as running and brake lights. On the front spots I'm going to put a separate switch for the circuit. Headlight has the modulating feature as well.

Everything is twised and soldered, with heat shrink on the local spliced area and the entire thing incased in fibreglas loom. Staying alive is my priority!!!

Good luck with YOUR project!
Jim aka kiltiemon (2001 Dyna Wide Glide)

Old 05-15-2006, 01:56 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Dyna Passing Lamp Installation

I got looking at my instructions yesterday for a while and seem to be headed in the same direction. The provided wiring harness has a relay and all built in and I think I can rig it to be wired directly to the spot lights w/o hassling with splicing it into the HL switch or curcuit. I'll work the lights off the supplied small button switch and then can turn them off and on regardless if the high or low beams are on.

As far as upgrading the spotlights, you can get a set of non-sealed beam units that take a standard H-3 bulb. HD makes a set, but they're about $69.00, but then you can put whatever bulb in you like.

Good luck.