Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Can a 2009 96 be changed over to a Carb ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009 | 09:02 PM
jongilbert1
|
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can a 2009 96 be changed over to a Carb ?

If this has already been discussed in another thread, sorry. please give me the thread if it has. I searched a few phrases and didnt find it.

Can it be done and can it be done easily ? If so, anyone around the Atlanta area doing it ? With onboard computers and all, you never know, at least I dont.

Old 05-26-2009 | 09:54 PM
Zacharia_11
Road Master

Was a guy on here a few weeks ago wanting to do the same to his 2008 Crossbones, fuel pak was pissing him off. You could try hunting him down to see where he got with it.

Last edited by Zacharia_11; 05-26-2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-27-2009 | 01:56 PM
low_ball
Intermediate
Default lol..

Originally Posted by Zacharia_11
Was a guy on here a few weeks ago wanting to do the same to his 2008 Crossbones, fuel pak was pissing him off. You could try hunting him down to see where he got with it.
just saw the thread man.. lol

Old 05-27-2009 | 02:01 PM
low_ball
Intermediate
Default carb

Originally Posted by jongilbert1
If this has already been discussed in another thread, sorry. please give me the thread if it has. I searched a few phrases and didnt find it.

Can it be done and can it be done easily ? If so, anyone around the Atlanta area doing it ? With onboard computers and all, you never know, at least I dont.
im doing the research for my 08 flstsb.. it gets progressively harder after 04 due to voltage changes in the components.. but im actively searching for a way now..

the easy way is here.. http://www.amm.haan.de/Carb/carb.htm but it kind of defeats the purpose of making things easier..imo.. it just seems to me that adding another electronic component kinds of defeats the purpose but w/ this little mod you can keep your speedo and gas indicator and not have to make to many wiring adjustments.. but he also says in the article that you can get a manual speedo and ditch the hole ecm..

anything you find about it lemme know..

Old 05-28-2009 | 10:49 AM
jeepster
Intermediate

I went to a carb setup on an '07 Ultra. Converted it back to EFI before I sold it. Still have all the parts and wiring schematics. Don't know if you would have to change the handle bars to add the throttle cables.

Old 05-29-2009 | 07:18 AM
low_ball
Intermediate
Default email me..

Originally Posted by jeepster
I went to a carb setup on an '07 Ultra. Converted it back to EFI before I sold it. Still have all the parts and wiring schematics. Don't know if you would have to change the handle bars to add the throttle cables.
hey jeepster, you are the closest to my year that's converted so far.. i have a few specific questions and would be interested in those parts if you want to get rid of them... check your pm for my email addy..

Old 05-30-2009 | 03:08 AM
jkessler2117@charter.net
Stage II

Why in the world would ou make that swap????????
Nothing but loss there power realiblity economy

Old 05-30-2009 | 04:12 PM
jeepster
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jkessler2117@charter.net
I wasn't worried about loss of power - I tour a lot. Reliability? How's that differ from an '06 with a carb from the factory? It definitely wouldn't be running leaner then EFI. Economy? I had a hard time getting more than 36 mpg. Believe it or not I actually got better gas milage with the carb. 38-39 mpg. I'm sure with some fine tuning of the carb and timing I could get more. I had other issues with the bike that's why it gone.

I like to tinker and it was a fun project to do.

Old 05-30-2009 | 10:09 PM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 112 Likes on 76 Posts

My 113" makes 125 hp and 125 foot pounds of torque and the last tank I checked, I got 43.3 mpg. Not bad but I doubt you'll get that with a carburetor. Get a programmer and someone that knows how to tune it. Do not neuter your bike.

Old 06-02-2009 | 08:56 PM
jongilbert1
|
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jkessler2117@charter.net
If you want power, real reliabilityand economy, go buy a 1972 Kawasaki Z1 900. Harley still cant touch that in any of the catagories you mentioned. I didnt buy my Harley for economy. If I wanted that I would have bought a Vespa I guess. You may want to look into that brand.

The fuel injected harleys have Completly lost the the last bit of their remaining character, with the exception of the general looks/styling of the bike itself. This is not something to be argued, either you know it/feel it/hear it...or you dont. If you have a long history of owning and riding Harleys through the years, shovels, pans, knucks, you will know what I mean. There are some of us out here that feel the last true harley was made around 1984. Some even think the Pan Head was the last true Harley. Every time I buy a newer platform harley, I acknowledge the improvements, but always notice a compromise was made in the transition and feel a bit of remorse over what was lost.

If you understand and have experienced the power, sound, feel and torque of a sixties/early seventies muscle car compared to anything made today, you will understand the similarities that I am talking about.

I just want that last little tad of harly-ness back on my scooter.

By the way...reliability ? I think not. There have been more broken down New harleys due to fuel injection problems than I care to discuss. Just something Ive noticed in rides and rallies and friends that have bought them. Ive been stuck on the side of the road helping or running to get parts for them so we can go riding....

Better gas milage ? who told you that lie ?

I bought an 09 RoadKing the other day, and my first thought was that Harley was making great strides in getting their bikes closer to the engineering standards of a Goldwing made in the 1980's. I really thought about that during my first 5 to 10 miles as I left the show room. Dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with Improvements, I just miss the reasons I first switched from metrics to Harleys in the first place many years ago.

Anyway..thanks for the info Low Ball. Appreciate that.

Last edited by jongilbert1; 06-02-2009 at 09:12 PM.

Quick Reply: Can a 2009 96 be changed over to a Carb ?