Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Can a 2009 96 be changed over to a Carb ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009 | 05:58 PM
low_ball
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lol!! git em'..!

Originally Posted by jongilbert1
If you want power, real reliabilityand economy, go buy a 1972 Kawasaki Z1 900. Harley still cant touch that in any of the catagories you mentioned. I didnt buy my Harley for economy. If I wanted that I would have bought a Vespa I guess. You may want to look into that brand.

The fuel injected harleys have Completly lost the the last bit of their remaining character, with the exception of the general looks/styling of the bike itself. This is not something to be argued, either you know it/feel it/hear it...or you dont. If you have a long history of owning and riding Harleys through the years, shovels, pans, knucks, you will know what I mean. There are some of us out here that feel the last true harley was made around 1984. Some even think the Pan Head was the last true Harley. Every time I buy a newer platform harley, I acknowledge the improvements, but always notice a compromise was made in the transition and feel a bit of remorse over what was lost.

If you understand and have experienced the power, sound, feel and torque of a sixties/early seventies muscle car compared to anything made today, you will understand the similarities that I am talking about.

I just want that last little tad of harly-ness back on my scooter.

By the way...reliability ? I think not. There have been more broken down New harleys due to fuel injection problems than I care to discuss. Just something Ive noticed in rides and rallies and friends that have bought them. Ive been stuck on the side of the road helping or running to get parts for them so we can go riding....

Better gas milage ? who told you that lie ?

I bought an 09 RoadKing the other day, and my first thought was that Harley was making great strides in getting their bikes closer to the engineering standards of a Goldwing made in the 1980's. I really thought about that during my first 5 to 10 miles as I left the show room. Dont get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with Improvements, I just miss the reasons I first switched from metrics to Harleys in the first place many years ago.

Anyway..thanks for the info Low Ball. Appreciate that.
haha.. it amazes me how this topic pisses people off so much.. ur right though, it's just a matter of choice.. and no problem giving info.. just pm or email or whatever..
so far i've collected that 2K TC softail harness.. i mocked it up a bit last night and most of the connections work that i could get to easily.. the speedo is not going to work but that's an easy fix..the ignition switch, and engine lights all worked w/ the new/old harness.. im going to have to remove the oil tank to get to the bottom harness and connectors which i think im gonna tackle tonight..
in the mean time, i've got an S&S super g w/ a velocity stack ready to slap on there.. got the pingle conversion for the tank as well as a pingle petcock and fuel line.. just need to make a trip to the store for an inline filter and i should be ready for a full mock up..
im brain storming about the choke **** now though.. most guys i've talked to just went and got a harley choke and bracket but i think im gonna try to be a little inventive w/ that since you will be able to see it w/ the velocity stack on there..

Old 06-04-2009 | 06:04 PM
low_ball
Intermediate
Default DFI not EFI

oh and by the way.. harley isn't in the business of true EFI.. it's DFI.. like a boat.. EFI= electronic fuel injection DFI= direct fuel injection
true EFI has computer control over spark/fuel delivery on every cylinder.. harleys version, just dumps fuel into the same intake that a carb does..

Old 06-04-2009 | 07:28 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,500 Likes on 5,063 Posts

Originally Posted by jongilbert1
If you want power, real reliabilityand economy, go buy a 1972 Kawasaki Z1 900. Harley still cant touch that in any of the catagories you mentioned. I didnt buy my Harley for economy. If I wanted that I would have bought a Vespa I guess. You may want to look into that brand.

The fuel injected harleys have Completly lost the the last bit of their remaining character, with the exception of the general looks/styling of the bike itself. This is not something to be argued, either you know it/feel it/hear it...or you dont.

When I bought my `89 Softail, my friends that rode Shovels,Pans joked that it wasn`t a real Harley, they said See no Evo, Hear no Evo, Ride no Evo…

They have quit riding now, and I`m still riding that `89, and young guys just getting into Harleys call it Old School (that`s a laugh).

I don`t think the new Harleys have lost any of their character or mystique, they are just more modern. You didn`t have to be a mechanic in the old days to ride a harley, but a harley would make you a mechanic…

I have been an aircraft mechanic for 36 years, and while I still think radial engines are cool, I would get off the plane if I looked out the window and saw an R-3350 on the wing…

Back to the origional subject, If you find a soultion to converting to carb, please post the details, after all, converting it over to carb would really be-old school...

Good Luck

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 06-04-2009 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Give me a break, I`m an old fart and forget stuff...
Old 06-09-2009 | 11:57 PM
RE AND CHERYL
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by low_ball
oh and by the way.. harley isn't in the business of true EFI.. it's DFI.. like a boat.. EFI= electronic fuel injection DFI= direct fuel injection
true EFI has computer control over spark/fuel delivery on every cylinder.. harleys version, just dumps fuel into the same intake that a carb does..
DFI is what GM uses on many of it's new engines. it injects fuel directly into the cylinders during the intake stroke. Not what Harley is using at all. There is an injector for each cylinder which is timmed to the intake stroke for that cylinder. Really ought to know what your talking about before you run your mouth.

Hope your project turns out great. But I really don't see why you didn't just buy an older scoot where the ECM dosn't run the entire bike. Would have been cheaper and easier.

Re'

Old 06-10-2009 | 04:40 PM
BlackFLHR
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 18 Posts

Direct Fuel Injection

http://www.automobilemag.com/feature...ion/index.html

Well if that's what Harley is using, I'm impressed!

Old 06-10-2009 | 05:09 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 9,500 Likes on 5,063 Posts

Originally Posted by RE AND CHERYL
Really ought to know what your talking about before you run your mouth.
You could have left that part out...

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 06-10-2009 at 05:15 PM.
Old 06-10-2009 | 06:45 PM
txtec
Banned

total b.s.