Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Indicator Light Problem - Don't Blink

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 09:29 PM
Helyas
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indicator Light Problem - Don't Blink

I've recently purchased a 99 FXSTC from a local dealer. The previous owner, whom I've never met, installed aftermarket indicator lights. These indicators are in small bullet style housings, and use incandescent bulbs (not LED). The problem is when I push the indicator button, the turn signal lights up but does not flash.

Here's what I've come to notice about how the indicators are functioning. When the ignition is on the front lights remain on dim, and the rear lights stay off. When I push an indicator button the corresponding side lights up, both front and rear, but don't flash. They just stay on bright until I push the button again, or lean the bike enough to activate the self-canceling feature.

I've read in another forum that some of the older Harleys require that you hold the indicator button down to make the turn signals flash. I've tried this, and it did not work. However, when I hold both indicator buttons to activate the hazard lights, the hazards turn on (all four turn signals) and flash as normal. This surprised the hell out of me. I expected all four turn signals to light up, but definitely not flash.

I would like to correct this problem allowing my turn signals to flash whenever they are activated, not just when I activate the hazards. Any help in troubleshooting and/or solving this problem is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Helyas; 05-24-2009 at 09:31 PM.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Turn2HD
Intermediate

I had a similar problem to this but the cause of mine was that the rear wiring under the fender came loose and the rear tire eat the insulation off of the wires causing them to short. Fixed the wires and it fixed the problem.

Old 05-25-2009, 09:44 AM
Helyas
Stage II

I just ckecked them out and did not find any damaged wiring. From the research I've done so far, it appears that buying an aftermarket indicator module will correct this problem. Like the Badlands Illuminator

http://www.badlandsmotorcycleproduct...cts/BETCSM.htm

This seems like a good option, and I may have to go down this road is I can't come up with a better solution. However, at this time I'm trying to find a way of correcting the problem without having to buy an ftermarket part such as this one.