Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Head light problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2009, 07:56 PM
lblankenship
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head light problem

I put a Halogen bulb in my 04 Ultra that I bought from my Harley Dealer. About two months later my fuse shot. I replaced the fuse lasted one minute then shot again. I took the bike home and removed the fairing, traced every wire and could not find anything wrong. I put it back together and had no problems till today, about another two months and it has blown the fuse again.
Has anyone had a similar problem and found the solution?
Thanks for any help.
Mike

Old 05-25-2009, 08:58 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Maybe the bulb is drawing too many amps.
Replace with an original and see if the problem still exists.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:43 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

If you're running high-wattage passing (aux.) lamps it can put you over the 15A fuse rating. These lamps are tied in directly to the low-beams and draw off the same fuse. The same goes for a high-output headlight bulb (e.g. 80/100w), although you should be able to run one of these even with the stock passing lamps and stay within the fuse limit. My '96 RK had breakers instead of fuses and the lighting breaker covered all lights on the bike (brake, headlight, running, etc.), so you might trace all of those for a possible short. Haven't checked my '07 since I haven't had an issue. Check your electrical schematic in the service manual to find out what's on that circuit and trace everything down.

Old 05-26-2009, 04:24 PM
lblankenship
6th Gear

I am running the stock wattage halogen bulb. I pulled the fairing off again and could not find a bad wire. I pulled the handle bars where I could see the wiring from the fog lamp switch. I could not see a problem but I pushed a peice of 3/8" wire cover over it to isolate it from anything sharp. I also checked the connectors for tightness and put dielectric grease on them. Will let you know if it helps.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:58 PM
wagsrk08
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
If you're running high-wattage passing (aux.) lamps it can put you over the 15A fuse rating. These lamps are tied in directly to the low-beams and draw off the same fuse. The same goes for a high-output headlight bulb (e.g. 80/100w), although you should be able to run one of these even with the stock passing lamps and stay within the fuse limit. My '96 RK had breakers instead of fuses and the lighting breaker covered all lights on the bike (brake, headlight, running, etc.), so you might trace all of those for a possible short. Haven't checked my '07 since I haven't had an issue. Check your electrical schematic in the service manual to find out what's on that circuit and trace everything down.
Today before I left for work doing my pre-check checks I noticed my passing (aux) lamps were not on? Shut bike off, tried again and a no go. I have a high-output headlamp bulb I installed from the dealer a couple months ago. Low and high beam working fine? Last month I did install from dealer high out-put passing (aux) bulbs. I'll bet I blew a fuse, plus I'm drawing to many amps with this set up? The name of bulbs are Xenon-Super White. I don't remember watts or amp draw since I'm not home looking at the packaging.

When I get home tonight I'll check my fuses and put back in my old passing (aux) bulbs which I kept. Always trying to build a better mouse trap....

Old 11-10-2009, 05:58 AM
gtcole
3rd Gear
Default headlight problem

I going through the same issues with my 03 Electra-Glide. Put in a hi-intensity headlight bulb. Worked fine for about a week then started blowing fuses. I put the original bulb back in and its still blowing fuses. It doesn't blow them immediately when starting cold. Last night it sat in the driveway for about 30 mins with the lights on and no problem. I took it for a ride and within 5 miles the fuse blew again. I stopped alongside the road and replace the fuse. Didn't get 1/4 mile down the road and it blew again. Went through 5 fuses with it yesterday morning. I've checked all switches and wiring for pinched wires, but found nothing. Now tracing wires but finding nothing out of the ordinary. Any thoughts?