Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Ignition switch question

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 08:58 AM
onephsyco1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ignition switch question

About a week ago . My turn signals did not work . I shut the bike off and restarted it .
Turn signals have not shown any problems since .
Last night comming home from a bike night . As I was pulling into my parking spot . The bike and every
thing shut off , With no warning . Just like if I reached down and turned it off ?
I did turn it off And back on . And every thing came back on ?
Is this signs the ignition switch is going bad ?
Other than those 2 times , Have not had any other problems .
Any info would be appreciated .
Thank you

Jack

Old 05-11-2006, 09:46 AM
03 Softail
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ignition switch question

I had the same thing happen to me last year, I was going down the interstate when all of a
sudden the speedo went wacky and then the bike completly shut down. (like you turned the
ignition off) Bike would not restart, no lights, no ignition no power nothing.
After sitting for a while I was playing with the ignition switch and for no reason I had power,
started the bike up and it ran fine. Took it to the Harley dealer, they ran a test on it and found
out to be a faulty ignition swith. Had it replaced no problems since then.
Ride Safe
Dan

Old 05-19-2006, 12:33 PM
Fatboy_VA
2nd Gear

I had a similar problem just a little while ago. Nothing on the right side of my handle bars worked, could not start, no brake light or turn signal......it was the 6 pin connector under the gas tank. It must of came apart due to some vibration or something. Lost a few days of riding but found it and fixed it in about an hour. No problems since

Old 06-09-2006, 02:15 AM
sj9125
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tonight I was left stranded. I've had simular problems where I lost all power and then times after that I could get power on acc but not with the ign switch in the on position. Well tonight it did that and never recovered. I had a lot of crud on the back of the switch so I used a cleaner to get rid of it but still had nothing except acc. A few times before when this would happen I could wiggle the key and all was good. I guess I'll be spending another $HD tomorrow to get back on the road.

Old 06-10-2006, 01:47 AM
sj9125
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Problem was the switch. I couldn't find an OEM switch that was going to cost me $100 anyway but found an aftermarket for $32 that fit the bill. The connectors on the end of the switch didn't match to the originals and had to be bent a little to fit into the plastic housing in order to work. All in all it came out fine but I'm going to go back in and make sure that I dont' have a problem with the connection not that she's home.

Old 06-10-2006, 01:55 AM
Pat
Road Master

Maybe Bob can comment here, but when I replaced mine the original was pretty corroded. Sprayed silicone based lubricant on the new one and covered all the contacts and the centre post with dielectric grease.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:09 PM
JoyRide
Stage II

Criminy, shoulda looked here first before dumping $$$ on a new battery, voltage regulator, main breaker and such on my '02 FatBoy. The symptoms described are exactly what happened to me.

Jumped on the expressway cruisin' along and suddenly everything died.... no lights, no engine, no indicators.... Anyway, I coasted to the shoulder, toggled the switch a couple times and it came back.... when it felt like it.

HOWEVER I do recall some "warning signs", a couple times before the "big one" I was cruising along and it suddenly "felt like" the engine bogged down but by the time I looked down at the dash it was back to "gettin' it".

I'll give it a go and see if I go......

Simple, Man!

Old 08-20-2006, 06:43 PM
nastyweasel
Stage I

And I was having the same problems on my 89 Springer, about 3 weeks ago I put a new aftermarket ignition switch on and everything seemed fine for about 30 miles then it cut out on me and my first reaction was to turn it off and back on again, and just like before it took off again, then that afternoon when it was hotter I was on the freeway and after about 4 miles it completely cut out after alot of spitting and sputtering, it would start up and go for about a half mile then it would cut out... I ended up having it hauled home where I found that the bolt on the coil was bad so I put a new coil on and it started up and ran great so I test drove it for a while and decided to ride to work. Everything went fine untill that afternoon when I was riding home, this time I took side streets and when I was almost home I got on it a little bit and it went dead so I reached down and turned it off and back on and it took off again and now I'm kind of lost and I'm thinking I have a short somewhere....

Brief History...
When I replaced the ignition switch we also tore the motor apart and replaced all the glaskets, after we put it all back together we went to turn it over and didnt have a spark, we checked everything over and over and over and had to finally pull the tank back off and check the wires underneath, as soon we pulled the tank off we had power at the coil again so we checked out all the wires and fixed anything that looked bad, put the tank back and it ran great, untill about 30 miles later(like I described above)... Could I have bought a new switch that is bad?, would a bad breaker cause these problems? and I'm also kind of wondering and wanting to double check if I got the wires on the switch hooked up correctly... Thanks a lot for any help I can get...

Old 08-20-2006, 07:18 PM
chuckb
Intermediate

My problems were similar on my 06 Ultra Classic. Running fine and then die, either in town or the road. Turn it off and then back on and it ran fine. The ignition switch was replaced by the dealer under a TSB and same problems. I found out if I rock the kill switch off and then back to run everything was OK for a while. Before Sturgis I sprayed the kill switch with contact cleaner and cycled it on and off several times. Fifteen hundred miles later and 2 weeks I have not had a problem. It used to act up every 1 - 3 days.

I've had several wierd problems with the bike anyway. Kickstand continued to go forward within 2 weeks of ownership. Odometer displayed wierd characters. After 2 months and 6 trips to the dealer the speedometer finally displayed an error code and the speedometer was replaced. No problem since. The display on the HK radio went blank.

We attribute everything to it being the Devil bike. The last three of the VIN are 666.

Old 02-20-2008, 12:57 AM
juaniosa
Advanced

can someone tell me how to wire a six prong igntion switch, i only need to use three of the prongs . which one would be IG, Acces, and Batt. need to know which is theIG. to put my horn wire to it . i screwed up by connecting it to the bottom r/h corner prong. need help bros