Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Overheating - too lean?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 07:07 PM
tlindell
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating - too lean?

I have a 2002 Electra Glide Classic that is fuel injected. It has 40,000 miles and has been well maintained. This Spring I started to have some issues with the engine getting hot and oil pressure dropping. I replaced the oil filter and thought that fixed the issue. Now I have figured out that when the bike is idling, it overheats, and after it overheats I loose oil pressure. The issue is that for 3 years the bike has never overheated, not when it was over 100 in Sturgis, 90 in the mountains, never. Now this year if I idle or get into stop and go traffic for more than 5 minutes it overheats. By overheating I mean it gets much hotter, you can smell the engine, the bike starts to miss (by design to help it cool), and wants to stall. So far I have changed oil and filter, replaced the oil pressure bypass spring (helps with pressure, but does not stop overheating). I had a stage one set up (for last two years) with air filter, mufflers, and a Cobra FI2000. One dealer suggested that the FI2000 was to blame so I got a new one. Same problem. Last night I took off the FI2000 and put on the stock mufflers and air cleaner. The issue continues. Again, I have had the bike for 4 years and it has never overheated, now it overheats every time I take it out. So far here is what four different dealers have told me: I need to rebuild the top end of the engine, I need a high performance oil pump (generally I run about 32 psi when all is well), I need to install an oil cooler, I need to install a fan. I live in MN and the riding temps so far have been in the 60's and low 70's. The problem did happen one day when it was only 47.

I am lost and since each dealer I call seems to have a different thought, once they get done trying to convince me it is normal, I am reluctant to take it in because they obviously do not know what is causing the problem.

I know the bike is air cooled. I know air cooled bikes run hot when idling. I know that something is happening to my bike this year that has never happened before.

Riding is my only reason for living in this frozen wasteland. I am hoping someone can help me get this thing running right again before my three months of warmth are gone!

Tim

Old 05-11-2006, 01:25 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 933 Likes on 436 Posts
Default RE: Overheating - too lean?

It sounds like the dealers have given you a good list of things not to do. You don't need them to tell you what norma is; normal is how your bike acted before this stuff started to happen. An oil cooler is never a bad idea, but it doesn't help you diagnose this problem. A fan is a waste. The oil pump should be fine as should the top end after only 40,000 miles. '02 was the first year for the Delphi EFI on baggers. Are you sure that it had the "skip a spark" feature? I thought that came later.
I have to admit I'm a little stumped at this point, too. How' bout doing a compression test just to see what the compression is and if both cylinders are the same? I'm also thinking about a blocked oil passage (not likely) or a broken o-ring on the cam support plate (possible). I'll keep thinking about it.

Uncle Peepers

Old 05-11-2006, 02:02 AM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a 02 Ultra EFI with about the same miles on it as yours. It is completely stock right now although I am thinking about tackling heat issues. I have studied these forums for the past two weeks, and I am convinced the heat problems relate to the crossover exhaust system because the rear cylinder runs hotter and cannot relieve itself of heat as easily as the front. This leads me to the oil cooler which is my next accessory. Some posters have said that True Duals eliminates the heat on the thighs problem so that would be next. A stage one kit is also helpful because more air is going through the engine and a little more cool gas too.

All these things could cure the heat problems or reduce them. That would keep the EFI from shutting down a cylinder, and oil pressure should remain above 5 pounds at idle.

Let me know what your outcome is.

Old 05-12-2006, 04:13 PM
tlindell
6th Gear

After visiting with a tech at the dealer I am going to replace the engine temperature sensor. Not overly optimistic, but he says he recently had a similar issue that was fixed buy replacing the sensor.

Old 05-17-2006, 05:00 PM
tlindell
6th Gear

Thanks for all the input. The crossover pipes do cause more heat under the driver but do not explain why the engine is now overheating when it did not for the past 3 years. I installed the engine temperature sensor. I have had the bike out twice and it has not overheated. I have my fingers crossed. I also have a fuel filter and a fuel pressure regulator on order and will put them in when they arrive. I am taking the bike camping this weekend - two up and pulling a trailer. If the problem still exists I am sure that it will overheat under that load. If after replacing the fuel system parts if the problem still exists I am going to take it to the dealer and hope for the best. I do not have the tools necessary to check a lot of the other probable causes.

Old 05-17-2006, 09:34 PM
fl_799
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Whoops, was going to mention the oil bypass pressure spring....you already got it...my bad.