Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Ignition question

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 10:46 PM
wccwilly
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Ignition question

Kinda new to this - here goes... Just finished a build I have a non EFI TC 88 w/95" BB kit running 204 cams compression is just under 10:1. 45mm Mikuni carb. Hooker 4bidden race header and an Ultima 3.35 open belt drag primary (not sure if some of this is even relevant so please bear with me) Set it up for a Crane Hi4 TC Fireball single fire ignition and the ignition I recieved was dead. Put a stock ignition module in from a 2000 dyna and it seems to work fine. I have .7ohm DYNA coils as the Crane called for 1ohm or less coils. I'm using the hard fuse set up from an old sportster wiring harness. Whenever I seem to hit the rev limiter, the ignition system shuts down - I can reach down and re-enable the ignition by switching the key off and then back on. Am I risking any damage running this way short term?? Any suggestions on a replacement ignition? IS the Crane Hi4 TC Fireball ignition a little over the top for this set up?? Maybe, I should just run a stock ignition and change the coils??

Attached Thumbnails Ignition question-cimg0532.jpg   Ignition question-cimg0530.jpg  
Old 05-09-2009, 10:24 PM
Smokin 03
Intermediate

Originally Posted by wccwilly
Kinda new to this - here goes... Just finished a build I have a non EFI TC 88 w/95" BB kit running 204 cams compression is just under 10:1. 45mm Mikuni carb. Hooker 4bidden race header and an Ultima 3.35 open belt drag primary (not sure if some of this is even relevant so please bear with me) Set it up for a Crane Hi4 TC Fireball single fire ignition and the ignition I recieved was dead. Put a stock ignition module in from a 2000 dyna and it seems to work fine. I have .7ohm DYNA coils as the Crane called for 1ohm or less coils. I'm using the hard fuse set up from an old sportster wiring harness. Whenever I seem to hit the rev limiter, the ignition system shuts down - I can reach down and re-enable the ignition by switching the key off and then back on. Am I risking any damage running this way short term?? Any suggestions on a replacement ignition? IS the Crane Hi4 TC Fireball ignition a little over the top for this set up?? Maybe, I should just run a stock ignition and change the coils??
I was going to go w/ the crane Hi4 but was told to stay away from it not sure why But I went with the Daytona twin tec Ignition module. no problems with it. Rev limet set Initial timing adjustable and advance timing adjustable or you can program your own map into it.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:40 PM
wccwilly
Stage II
Red face

Thanx Smokin 03, I think my problem might be with my morphodite wiring harness ;o) I incorporated a hard fuse set up from an older sportster wiring harness - liked the idea of resetting fuses with the ignition key. Right now, I have four fuses, I'm guessing 2 acc, lights and ignition. 2 are 5A and 2 are 10A. Since I'm running hotter coils (.7ohm) I'm thinking that its possible that the ignition fuse I have is popping at higher RPM's.

Guess I'd better check and see what the values are for the fuses in a stock set up for 99 and older TC 88. DUUUHHHH!!!

Attached Thumbnails Ignition question-cimg0742.jpg