Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Speedometer problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 12:13 PM
hdrider
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speedometer problem

Hey. My stock speedometer on my 02 XL intermittently sticks when slowing down around 20mph. It eventually starts moving and then hangs at 5mph and drops to zero when I stop. Accelerating has not been a problem yet. I do get condesation inside the speedometer occassionally, don't know if that has caused the problem. Any troubleshooting steps I can take before I have the dealer look at it? Thanks.

Old 04-18-2005, 07:57 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts
Default RE: Speedometer problem

Is it electronic or mechanical?

Old 04-18-2005, 09:36 PM
hdrider
6th Gear

Electronic.

Old 04-18-2005, 09:59 PM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,297 Likes on 484 Posts

ORIGINAL: hdrider

Electronic.
I'm not familiar with the electronic version, but since it appears to be hanging only when slowing down, it might be the speedo itself. They probably will want to replace it. I s'pose it could be the sender hanging, but just seems more likely it is the speedo.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:22 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

the fact that there is moisture in the face probally has a lot to do with it, in order to fix it im pretty much guessin youll have to replace it.

let us know the results

Old 04-22-2005, 09:25 PM
HarleyRon
1st Gear

Ok first off moisture in the speedo is not a problem, harley has a service bulletin which explains that it is normal.

Next it is an electronic speed which runs off of a magnetic sensor.

Harley has had many problems with their speedo sensors, for your model they are on their 4th version. But is now working well. Odds are 10 to 1 that your problem is sensor related.

Good Luck
Ron
Dealer Staff

Old 04-23-2005, 07:48 AM
Lev
Tourer

Same problem occours on Sportster engined Buells (Like mine) Im presently on the 3rd sensor. Unfortunatly there is no way of testing/metering the sensor.

There is an official Buell 'rewiring' kit which is £83 (about$160) and comes complete with a new sensor.The sensors are fed from an unregulated supply, but the kit solves this.
Buells kit rewires the feed to the sensor via the regulated 5V supply out of the ECM for the CPM/TPS
Before you change sensor, it'd be wise to check the bikes alternator output as this is the most common cause of sensor failure.

Hope this is of some help

Lev

Old 04-24-2005, 10:26 AM
monkyman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, at least your bike runs, this is part of an post from my dealer:

The TwinCam engines carb or EFI have a number of sensors the EVO never had, map sensors, ion sensors etc, etc. The coils are unique having sensors, they never had before. Our take is don't mess with the electrics, there is even a speedo sensor incorporated in to the system now, that if your speedometer is out the bike won't run.
This was a responce to a customer asking about "neon" plug wires, and why not to install them on a newer bike.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:28 PM
rodman2_99
6th Gear

where is the speed senor located on a 06 sporty

Old 10-14-2009, 07:35 PM
ELECTRICMONKEY
Cruiser

My bike was doing that all summer and got worse. then acouple weeks later the bike would randomly shut off while riding for just 1/2 a second. I thought I had big problems. I checked the wiring harness connections from when I internally wired the bars and they were all good. then I checked the battery connection and found the problem was a loose positive cable. that was all it was. Check the simple stuff first!

Quick Reply: Speedometer problem