Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Cam's and the PC-V.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 02:39 PM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior
Received 211 Likes on 118 Posts
Default Cam's and the PC-V.....

Hi everyone,
I'm about to drop a set of Woods TW-6-6 cams in my '09 Street Glide. I'm running a 2 into 1 exhaust, Big Sucker intake and a PC-V with a FuelMoto supplied map. I'm waiting for Jamie to get back to me but I was wondering if anyone is running a '09 touring bike with a set of cam's installed and the PC-V. If so, where did you get your map? Or did you have your bike set up on a dyno?............Rich

Old 04-26-2009, 04:12 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Puttnutt24
Hi everyone,
I'm about to drop a set of Woods TW-6-6 cams in my '09 Street Glide. I'm running a 2 into 1 exhaust, Big Sucker intake and a PC-V with a FuelMoto supplied map. I'm waiting for Jamie to get back to me but I was wondering if anyone is running a '09 touring bike with a set of cam's installed and the PC-V. If so, where did you get your map? Or did you have your bike set up on a dyno?............Rich
I don't know if Jamie has a map for the Wood TW6-6, but if you must perform a dyno tune just buy the Auto-Tune modules for the PCV instead. At $300 they'll cost about the same or less than a dyno tune and you'll be able to tune as you ride. Then when you make another mod you just ride the bike to tune it. I bought the AT modules before installing my SE255's and the result is great, as there are no more worries about maps or dyno tunes.

I first used Jamie's original, relatively rich target AFR tables to create a base map, then changed those values in the cruise range to increase mileage (leaner). Using a simple on-off switch mounted on my fairing insert cap I now can switch between the leaner settings in closed-loop mode (AT) and the richer base map for those times when the going gets hot.

Also, if you have a spare set of wide-band O2 sensors you can tune anyone's bike who has a PCV (no AT) installed.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:39 AM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior

Bob, great advice, thx. I just got off the phone with Brian at FuelMoto, I purchased the AT modules and Jamie will be providing me with a base map. Tell me, I know how to DL the new map onto the PC but how difficult is it going to be to configure the PC-V to the AT? I consider myself an above average wrench but when it comes to computer's and software I get alittle worried.......thx again, Rich

Old 04-27-2009, 10:29 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Bob, great advice, thx. I just got off the phone with Brian at FuelMoto, I purchased the AT modules and Jamie will be providing me with a base map. Tell me, I know how to DL the new map onto the PC but how difficult is it going to be to configure the PC-V to the AT? I consider myself an above average wrench but when it comes to computer's and software I get alittle worried.......thx again, Rich
I did a write-up of the install here. The install itself will be different on your '09, but the functionality of the AT modules will be the same.

Basically you have four steps in the PCV-AT's operation:

1. ECM map

2. PCV base map (same as PC w/o AT)

3. Target AFR tables. These tables look identical to the base map tables except that specify the AFR you want in each cell. IOW, if you want a 13.8:1 AFR at 2000 RPM's @ 15% TP (throttle position) you type in that value. If you type in a "0" their will be no AT function in that cell and it will use the base map value, essentially switching off AT at that location.

4. Trim tables. Again, these look like the base-map tables and show changes made by the Target AFR tables. If your PCV base map is 10 in a given cell, your target AFR is 13.8:1, but the O2 sensors show a 14.5:1 AFR, the corresponding trim table cell will richen incrementally in real time until it achieves the specified target AFR. Thus, it might place a 1 in that cell and if that isn't enough it'll keep adding 'til it achieves the target AFR. Let's say it ultimately places a 5 in that cell, and that would make a net result of 15 when you add the 10 in the base map with the 5 in the trim table. Thus, it will be adding 15% more fuel than the ECM dictates to achieve the specified 13.8:1 target AFR.

It basically works like the PCV with two added tables, and thus has two more steps in the process. If you want you can "Accept Trims" and apply the trim tables to the base map, thus producing a new base map. Doing this, if you have 10 in the base map and 5 in the trim table in a given cell the new map will have a 15 in that cell. If the trim table value is -5 the new base-map value would be 5 (10-5).

This may sound complex but it won't be once you get into it. You'll need a computer, preferably a notebook that you can carry to the bike, that has the PC software installed on it. Have you used this software with the PCV yet?

Old 04-28-2009, 12:29 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Don't forget boys and girls, if you only concentrate on AFR your only getting a fraction of the tune. The rest is in the timing tables. If you want to see how well you made out put it on a dyno with a talented tuner and see what you had left on the table.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:34 AM
Bent Wrench
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish my wide band sensors provided EGT readings as well

Old 04-28-2009, 09:39 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by msocko3
Don't forget boys and girls, if you only concentrate on AFR your only getting a fraction of the tune. The rest is in the timing tables. If you want to see how well you made out put it on a dyno with a talented tuner and see what you had left on the table.
AFR is the most important aspect, IMO, not just a "fraction" of the total picture. It is correct that ignition-advance is not a function that is part of the auto-tune operation, but that's where the original base map comes in. If it is created by a "talented tuner" you will have the ignition-advance tables configured properly.

But if you are changing cams and must use the stock map you don't need to perform a dyno tune to get the ignition tables in order, IMO. OTOH if you want to spend another $300 or more to get that extra few tenths of a HP, go for it. In this regard for me the important areas are WOT and the cruise range, both of which can be tuned by ear. I started with a base map created for SE255's with a 2-into-1 exhaust system. I advance until detonation occurs and back off 'til it stops, as the best setting for mileage, cooling, and performance is the greatest advance before detonation sets in. I just fine-tuned my settings this past week, and the original settings were very close. I ended up adding 1° of advance in the cruise range and none at WOT.

Yes, the knock sensor makes this more difficult, but incipient knock can be heard prior to the knock sensor retarding the ignition. If you want more info on this call Jamie at Fuel Moto.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:32 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
If you want more info on this call Jamie at Fuel Moto.
Not much of a need, spent lots of time looking at Dynojet's products before going with the SERT. I'm just not keen on toating around another piece of electronics when I can alter the map in the factory ECM.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:46 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,163 Likes on 1,356 Posts

Hi everyone,
We have not yet developed any maps with aftermarket cams on the 09 Touring bikes however the Auto Tune will work very well for setting up your map, we have had several 09 Touring customers that have changed cams and have had excellent results with the AT. We already have an AFR table setup in the background of you current map, however if you send me an email with your info to jamie@fuelmotousa.com I will get you our latest AFR table and can setup map for you to get you a very close base map for minimal tuning time. As far as setup all you will need to do is connect to the PC-V software and under Powercommander tools/Configure/Auto Tune check the box "enable auto tune". Another quick note is to make sure you install the CAN termination plug in the open port on the AT module which completes the circuit. As far as an ignition timing table I have thousands of hours of experience on the dyno with PCIII, PC-V, Thundermax, SERT, TTS, ETC.. and can provide a table for you no problem. If you have any questions feel free to contact us at 877-729-4754 and we are here to help

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 04-29-2009, 02:36 AM
Puttnutt24
Road Warrior

Thank you Jamie. I gave Brian my email address and info when I ordered the AT and your wonderful wife shipped out the AT to me yesterday. I havn't yet recieved the base map from you yet but I'm sure I'll have it by the time the AT get's to me. Thanks again for your outstanding service. Richard Alexander

Quick Reply: Cam's and the PC-V.....