Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

2001 Road King poor fuel ecoomy

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2006, 01:01 AM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: 2001 Road King poor fuel ecoomy

You need the Electrical Diagnostics Manual for the EFI System.....

Don't worry about TP sensor....

What get's people in trouble is that it is not to be touched.... That post was directed to Uncle Peeps anywho...

IAC failure can be masked as an Air Intake leak... Plain and simple...

That is the first sign to look for....

Old 05-05-2006, 01:28 AM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 933 Likes on 436 Posts

Thanks, Bob. I definitely agree about leaving the TPS alone. You may remember back with the old PCII's, you had to physically manipulate the TPS to set it. What a painful chore that was. IMHO, the PCII was definitely not Dynojet's finest hour.
And thanks for the endorsement of HP, Inc. I'm definitely attracted to that TB.

Oh, BTW, I'm fine with Marines.

Uncle Peepers
Fmr. 1LT, USAR, Infantry

Old 05-05-2006, 10:09 PM
rickeys
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealer, the only one here that can scope the bike, cannot do so until late next week. Also the Electrical Diagnostics Manual is on order, again late next week. I will keep all informed of my progress....and again I do thank you all

Old 05-06-2006, 02:15 AM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: rickeys

I picked up a 01 road king over the winter with 17,000 miles on it. It is a 88 fuel ingection and is stock. The bike runs really well, but with myself and my wife, I'm consistly getting 33 mpg. Must less than my old 89 FXR. Is this in the normal range? I've checked the plugs and they are a little dark from fuel but not much. I've checked the brakes to make there wasn't any dragging. I've considered changing pipes, but I do admit this bike is quiet which I do appreciate after the FXR. Would one of the programmers help? Compression appears good, but I have not but a gauge on it yet. I just want to make sure I don't have anything potentially serious.
The most I have got so far on my 2006 RK is 35 mpg with 1075 miles on the odometer. I'm still not sure what was done over 2 months ago when they installed the 25° CVO injectors but I didn't get any better mileage before that. They installed a new map about 2 weeks before I got the injectors to fix coughing and decell popping and they told me they didn't change anything with my SERT when they installed the new injectors. It ran the same after the new injectors were put in except now it cold starts without a problem. I think I will hookup my laptop and check the map they put in and learn how to use the SERT software.

Old 05-06-2006, 01:39 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can figure your mileage should continue to improve. Until recently, the most I could get, with a mix of superslab & local riding, was 36-38. My last tank gave me 40 mpg. I'm at around 2K miles. I think these puppies continue to break-in for the first few K miles. I'm running the V&H Ovals/Fuelpak/Stage-1 (no MoCo download).

Old 06-03-2006, 01:14 PM
MC3164
Novice

Bob,

I have an "06" Street Glide, completely stock with 4,200 mi. I know it has the 8 deg. injectors, and I have not had any issues with cold starts, however, recently when I come to a stop when pulling in the clutch, the idle immediately drops below 1000 rpm to around 800, it used to more slowly return to around 1000 rpm and stay there. It is warmer now (air temperature) and I was wondering if this is temperature related or something with the IAC. I'm not one to cry wolf so I don't want to run to the dealer if it's normal. It also does't seem to idle as smoothly as it used to.

Thanks,
Mark

Old 06-03-2006, 03:44 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

If it is at "Hot" temp (280) and it is dropping below 1000, then there is a problem....

At your 5k service, refer that to the Tech that will service the bike....

More than likely it is just a misadjusted Hot Idle setting....

Old 06-03-2006, 05:06 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: rickeys

I picked up a 01 road king over the winter with 17,000 miles on it. It is a 88 fuel ingection and is stock. The bike runs really well, but with myself and my wife, I'm consistly getting 33 mpg. Must less than my old 89 FXR. Is this in the normal range? I've checked the plugs and they are a little dark from fuel but not much. I've checked the brakes to make there wasn't any dragging. I've considered changing pipes, but I do admit this bike is quiet which I do appreciate after the FXR. Would one of the programmers help? Compression appears good, but I have not but a gauge on it yet. I just want to make sure I don't have anything potentially serious.
The highest I have got so far is 37 mpg with 1400 miles on my FLHRI RK.

Old 08-26-2017, 07:27 PM
kkelleylakeland
Stage I

Here's my situation. 2001 RK with MM. Not sure if V&H pipes with chip make a difference, but in there. Have had problem for years, but it only raises its head when on road trip with others. In normal, around town driving I get the normal 40'ish mpg. When highway driving, I get close to 40 up to about 70 mph - when I increase to 75 mph, my mpg drops to around 23. Any insight would be appreciated, and I'm not a DIY'er when it comes to these type of issues.