Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS master tune vs.Screaming Eagle Super Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 02:20 PM
CRAMBONE
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question TTS master tune vs.Screaming Eagle Super Tuner

Not sure on which way to go,what are the pro's and cons on either one.
thanks

Old 04-06-2009, 04:32 PM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The TTS Mastertuner is just like the SERT except you can, with the extra programs, use the O2 sensors to pretty much get the VE (Volumetic Efficiencies) Tables right. Then using the spark retard in the system you can get the spark just about right. By yourself using a laptop.
You cannot get the VE tables right without help. IE, a tuner who may or may not do it right.

But you got to understand and be fimilar with fuel injection and how all this works cause you do it yourself. If I can do it, anyone can, and I'm almost 72.
I have used a SERT for 18 months and now have a TTS ordered. If I had it all over to do I would get the TTS Mastertuner, but it wasn't around then 18 months ago. Good training though.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 04-06-2009 at 04:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Johnny Goodlife (11-22-2016)
Old 04-06-2009, 09:32 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The SEST has a number of bugs. The VCI is suppose to log standalone at 4hz for 15 minutes, but does 2hz for 30 minutes instead. Once the VCI is full it's suppose to shut off and stop recording but instead it keeps recording, corrupts the data and you can't download the data. If you're recording standalone you don't get the O2 sensors, neither the voltage nor the intergrated values.

The following users liked this post:
Johnny Goodlife (11-22-2016)
Old 04-06-2009, 10:21 PM
Rail
Road Master
Veteran: Army
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

To me the real difference between the 2 is in your ability to understand the tuning process.. What I mean is, the TTS is very easy once you start to understand it and you'll be able to do a very good tune by yourself.. If you don't possess this ability and will need to have a tuner put your bike on a dyno then you might want to look at the SEST if you're rural like me.. I have found no one within 4 hrs of me that's familar with the TTS.. They all tune with the SERT and SEST... Your ability and comfort as well as your resources might dictate which one to go with..

Last edited by Rail; 04-06-2009 at 10:24 PM.
Old 04-06-2009, 11:01 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 370 Likes on 235 Posts

I have both the SEST and the TTS. The TTS calculates your ve values. I find the ability to view data logs and tuning tables in different windows on the same computer nice. To do that with the SEST I have to use two computers to maintain my position in the data log. Being able to data log without the computer attached is a nice feature of the SEST. I would think anyone that is a competent tuner should be able to tune with either. For some one without a dyno the TTS is hands down easier. Just my opinion. I also have a TMAX.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:28 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

I agree. Get the TTSMastertune. Print out the instruction manual. Punch holes and put the sheets in a binder. Read this and study at your leiasure. If you follow the instructions and read some here and there you will not mess up. Even a uh-oh just do over again.

From what I understand, so fa,r this gets the job done. Once I get the VE tables done move to the spark with known values everywhere else.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 04-07-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-07-2009, 06:39 PM
FLHXXHLF
Tourer

Here's my input. Bob Wood's wins dyno shoot out's hands down. Does he use a TTS system ?????

I know the guy that won the Alabama dyno shootout and he used the PCIII.

This is my question, WHY get the TTS if no one knows how to tune with it anyway. I guess if you don't have a dyno around it's nice to have, but 90 % of the motorcycles are running around with other than TTS and doing fine.

What we need is a auto tunning system. It reads the fuel mixture at all positions and adjust accordingly. Why can't anyone come out with a system like that ? Just my two cents.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:17 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 370 Likes on 235 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHXXHLF
Here's my input. Bob Wood's wins dyno shoot out's hands down. Does he use a TTS system ?????

I know the guy that won the Alabama dyno shootout and he used the PCIII.

This is my question, WHY get the TTS if no one knows how to tune with it anyway. I guess if you don't have a dyno around it's nice to have, but 90 % of the motorcycles are running around with other than TTS and doing fine.

What we need is a auto tunning system. It reads the fuel mixture at all positions and adjust accordingly. Why can't anyone come out with a system like that ? Just my two cents.
I think the TTS is great for someone who doesn't have access to a dyno. The dyno should be better, but the TTS will get you close without. Every time you make a change, just retune.

Old 04-08-2009, 12:12 AM
Gunfighter13
Cruiser

From what I can tell you can tune in closed loop and use the O2's with the TTS. I think that is an advantage over the SEST. The SEST is meant to be tuned in open loop mode. You set the AF table to 13.2 and tune the VE tables with the SEST. Without a Dyno it would be hard to get the tables right. The TTS uses the O2 to help adjust the VE tables. Just ride and it tunes to how you ride. (over simplified I know but that what it ends up doing). The TTS also saves and restores the original factory calibration, with the SEST it is gone never to be seen unless the dealer re-flashes it for you.

Old 04-08-2009, 09:13 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior

Horsepower shootouts are one thing. Total driveability are another.
Wolfgang Grasser won the Datona shoot out last year and has won several other shootouts. Wolfgang has used the PC whatever cause it gets his needs satisfied. Will get the job done, he has the tools to do it right. Has a O2 capable dino. Which he makes a living with and does a very good tuning job.
The TTS Mastertune just came available.
I don't have a Dino. I also like to think if I can build a good running engine I ought to be able to tune it. Part of the build. SERT gets just so far without help. TTS goes right up to the sweet spot, at home.
I could have got Wolfgang to tune my bike but I like to do as much as I can myself. Till I reach my limit. Why he did my heads. And I did what he said when I asked him about which TB to get. Which pushed the tuning envlope out there.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 04-08-2009 at 09:20 AM.

Quick Reply: TTS master tune vs.Screaming Eagle Super Tuner