Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Why say NO! to the HD Download?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2006, 05:41 PM
socalsoftail
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why say NO! to the HD Download?

Just curious as to why everyone seems against the dealer download. I know about the other options out there like the sert. But i havent seen a post where someone goes into detail why the download is bad. Is the download that big of a mistake for someone who is just going to run pipes and the aircleaner kit???

Old 05-01-2006, 05:47 PM
Sooee
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Why say NO! to the HD Download?

That is all I am doing and the bike runs great, have not had any problems at all. It is smooth, responsive at all revs, doesn't "pop" and I am extremely happy with the whole set up.

I was going to get a PCIII after reading this forum and before I picked up the scoot - I am not going to bother now.

Oh, by the way...

Gidday, welcome to the HDForums from New Zealand, enjoy!!!! [sm=welcomesign.gif]
Normally you introduce yourself before posting, but not a problem.

Old 05-01-2006, 05:50 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's only a problem on the '06s. Previous years models ran much better with download but now due to new model year EPA regs even with the download they still run too lean resulting in poor performance.

MoCo says they are working on it still but most here agree as you stated it is better to go with SERT, PCIII, Fuelpak, DFI etc until they can get a good working download that satisfies the EPA and more importantly us riders.

Primo

P.S. Not doubting our friend Sooee from Down Under but I'm not sure if they got stuck with the same EPA b.s. we do here in the States.

Old 05-01-2006, 06:55 PM
lapisblue
Tourer

The download is perfect if you install all harley parts. SE air and SE pipes.......This is what the downlaod is for. Not VH pipes or others.

Old 05-01-2006, 07:33 PM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 06 ultra. I had the 25 degree injectors installed and the HD download was installed when I picked up the Bike. Also had SEII pipes and AC. Runs better with the new injectors. Still pops on decel. Runs way to hot. I can not sit on the seat in stop and go traffic when I stop. I put the PCIII on and it runs stronger and cooler. I will get it dyno'd soon and that should help with the gas milage. Also it would not idel or run smooth under 2000 RPM. The SERT or PCIII is all I can do for now. I do not know if all 06's have this same problem. I was pissed in the performance of this bike when I first bought it. I love it now and it should still improve more with the dyno tune.

Old 05-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

Which download did you have installed....

More than likely it was the LEGAL flash....\

Not the right one for that config....

Old 05-02-2006, 01:47 AM
socalsoftail
Advanced

No download yet. I just got the bike on thurs, and its my first efi harley. I talked with the dealer today and said that i wanted to run the se air kit and some vance and hines pipes using the sert to load a can map for that application. They said it wouldnt work and the sert didnt come with any pre designed maps for differant apps. I don't think he new what he was talking about. I just want to do it myself and i want it to run good with no drivablilty concerns

Old 05-03-2006, 05:17 PM
Sooee
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Primo

Nope, we don't have all that emission stuff and the scoots are built a little different to domestic ones.

Old 05-03-2006, 05:44 PM
sestreet
Intermediate

Hi All,
My bike is at the dealer as we speak for hopefully the last time for this problem. I added V&H downturn slipons, and SE AC with a fuel tuner and the download. The bike popped a lot and got about 25 mpg. After figuring that the dealer didn't know too much about fixing my problem (I found out their #1 tech left) I went to another dealer that the folks at PCIII listed as a official tuning center to add the SERT. The did but found a bad air input sensor and chose not remove the fuel tuner untill the replacement part came in. I rode the bike for a couple of weeks and it was like night and day from before. I got about 35 mpg with little popping and only one slight loss on the dyno. This dealer in Billerica, MA wasn't satisfied with that little droop and as soon as the part came in I dropped the bike back to them. They are so good that when I forgot to leave the SERT interface cable, they sent a driver (30 minute drive each way) to my house to get it from my wife. Anyway... the fuel tuner turned out to be the problem and I get the bike back tomorrow after the rain lets up and they get a chance to road test it.

Old 05-03-2006, 09:36 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: sestreet

They are so good that when I forgot to leave the SERT interface cable, they sent a driver (30 minute drive each way) to my house to get it from my wife. Anyway... the fuel tuner turned out to be the problem and I get the bike back tomorrow after the rain lets up and they get a chance to road test it.
They should probably have a set of interface cables on hand like my dealer. The gas to come and get your cables cost them more then the cables would have. All I ever bring to my dealer is my SERT.

Quick Reply: Why say NO! to the HD Download?