Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Blown Fuse... strange

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2009 | 03:57 PM
Beerninja
|
Tourer
Default Blown Fuse... strange

I got home from work yesterday and my left side blinkers do not work, so I check the wiring the one wire from the hand controls was cut between the light housing and the gas tank, so I clean it up solder it back together and tape the crap out of it since I have no shrink wrap or anything (temp fix while I am saving up for me new headlight) anyways that is all fixed up so a couple of hours later I go out to head to a PGR hand out thing I start it up no prob, begin to roll it out of the garage and it just dies. no stutter no hicup, cough or anything just bam dead. I try the start and nothing at all happens no click or anything.

So I push it back in the garage check the wiring that I had just played with earlier and there are no exposed wires anywhere that could have ground out or anything so I pull off the seat take a look at the fuses and sure enough the fuse for the ignition is blown.

Now my quesiton is does anything think the two might be related? Does it sound liek it was just the fuses' time to go? Are these the signs of bad things to come?

After I found the fuse I replaced and we rode to Knuckleheads hung out for a while and rode home no problems, I rode it to work today, back home for lunch and around the base, no problems.

I am leaning toward it was just that fuses time to go, but would love some electrical experts to give their opinions as that has always been my weak side.

Thank you all in advance.

Last edited by Beerninja; 03-26-2009 at 04:00 PM.
Old 03-26-2009 | 09:16 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

I don't know that I would buy the "just time to go" theory. It seems a stretch but you might have drawn current on the ignition line via the tsm due to the short and just happened to leave it such that just one more good bump broke it.

Old 03-26-2009 | 09:25 PM
Beerninja
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by LilBudyWizer
I don't know that I would buy the "just time to go" theory. It seems a stretch but you might have drawn current on the ignition line via the tsm due to the short and just happened to leave it such that just one more good bump broke it.

You kind of lost me there.

But thank you for replying at least I see someone is looking in on it LOL

Old 03-26-2009 | 09:35 PM
tombeving
Road Master

If you were able to start your bike after fixing your turn signal wire, I would have to believe the two are not related. Just carry a couple extra fuses for a while.