Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Are there two maps one for open loop mode and one for closed loop mode?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 12:43 AM
ubreal
Road Master
Received 184 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Are there two maps one for open loop mode and one for closed loop mode?

I understand that at cruse with no load the bike goes in to a closed loop mode and keeps the afr to about 14.7 to 1. And I have seem the map for this mode via a race tuner but is there a sub map that he ECM uses when not in closed loop like when you are riding around town

Old 03-20-2009, 01:21 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope, one map. A value of 14.6 in the fueling table puts the bike into closed loop with some qualifications. I'm not sure of the exact qualifications, but I believe in some rpm and map pressure ranges it isn't closed loop no matter the value. When you are in closed loop there is an additional table, the closed loop bias table. That sets the switching voltage for the O2 sensors effectively controlling the afr in closed loop.

Just curious as to why you ask?

Old 03-20-2009, 04:37 PM
ubreal
Road Master

I install a high flowing air cleaner and went to a duel exhaust system. because of the extra air going through the bike I added a Harley race fueler this is a small module that goes in between the injectors and the ECM. This unit allows me to add extra fuel to three separated rpm ranges (the ones I use are from 0-2500, 2500-4000, and 4000 to 6000)
I know that in closed loop the bike runs 14.6 to 1 and if I add 5% fuel to the rpm range I hope this would bring me down to 13.9 if my math is right. With that in mind I started to think what if you are cursing in town you know stop and go and the ecm uses a more richer map which would bring my afr down to maybe 13.2 to 1 and with 5% more fuel to this I would be at 12.5 may be to rich and I am just wasting gas.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:39 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

I don't know, within closed loop the ecm is going to fight any attempt to change the afr. There is a limit to how far the ecm can adjust the pulse width to attain the target afr. If the ac and exhaust kept the ecm from being able to deliver 14.6 you could use the race fueler to get it in a range were the ecm could deliver 14.6.

With the Stage 1 map at full throttle above 1500 rpms or above 4500 rpms you drop out of closed loop. I'm not sure with the stock map though. One thought it to pay for a dyno run to find out what your afr actually is with the race fueler zeroed out. That, at least, gives you a reference point to start with. A dyno tune is expensive, but a single dyno run should be $50-$100. Then basically tune by ear. When you think you have what you want get another dyno run.

Old 03-21-2009, 10:47 AM
ubreal
Road Master

That’s what I have been wondering; in closed loop will the ecm try to achieve the 14.6 or will it add 5% fuel to the14.6 in close loop mode. I am hopping that it will add the fuel so my bike will run richer-cooler but I am pretty sure that the ECM will try to adjust to the 14.6. One thing I have notice is before the race fueler I would get about 45- 40 mpg now I get about 35 mpg. Like you said I have to get a dyno run to know for sure. There is a shop down the road that will do a dyno run for $40.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:48 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

Considering there are really only three settings you might ask that shop what they would charge to tune with the race fueler. It would take a little experimentation to figure out just what you can and can't do, but nothing near what a dyno tune would take. A dyno tune takes 40-50 runs and several hours with lots of adjustments. 30 minutes to an hour might get you something reasonable. Particularly since, I believe, you can make adjustments without shuting the bike down.

Old 03-21-2009, 02:53 PM
ubreal
Road Master

The unit is so simple that it is not worth having it dyno. The main thing I am trying to accomplish is get about 5% more fuel to the engine in both modes open loop and closed loop. What I do not understand is why the ECM will not automatically adjust the afr in closed mode regardless of the changes to the ac and the exhaust. Like the Thunder Max ECM will do. Maybe it has something to do with the narrow band sensors.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:40 PM
Low_Wider
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ubreal,
I have wondered about the AFR in open loop mode myself. I've asked the forum before and ogt one response that I wouldn't necessarily take as fact. They said in open loop the target AFR is in the 13.8 to 14 range. This would make sense because the target AFR has to be conservative in case they are somewhat amiss. In open loop mode if the target AFR was 14.6 they could actually be a bit higher and not know it causing serious problems. Sot it would make sense that they would target a lower AFR just to be on the safe side. They can run the 14.7 in closed loop because the ECM is getting the real time feedback from the O2 sensor to make sure it does not go higher.
I am not familiar with the Harley fueler your talking about. From your description it sounds like it doesn't change the input to the ECM, only the output to the fuel injectors. If that's the case then the fueler and the ECM are going to fight each other in closed loop. Your fueler adds fuel by extending the pulse to the injector but the ECM is trying to maintail an AFR of 14.7 and the feedback from the O2 sensor says it's rich so the ECM will shorten the pulse to try to get the AFR back up to 14.7. In the SERT you reprogram the ECM to shoot for a lower AFR and not try to maintain the 14.7.
Maybe I'm all wet but I don't see how the fueler helps you in closed loop mode.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:34 PM
ubreal
Road Master

Here’s the add from the screaming eagle catalog. You think since Harley made it for there bike you should have no problems in closed loop mode. The price is bs I paid $75 on e-bay. What I have been doing to tune it in is check my mpg’s at first I was at 32 mpg on the highway now it is about 38 mpg

Tune the fuel flow on your EFI bike. The tuner can electronically
add fuel in much the same manner as increasing
jet size on a carbureted system. It allows for quick tuning
for the addition of less restrictive, free flowing intake and
exhaust systems. The Fueler offers “bands” of adjustment
that take into account operating ranges, such as idle, acceleration,
and steady speed. The Fueler is a self-contained
unit that requires no computer interface. Adjustments are
made by setting fuel, RPM and accelerator pump potentiometers,
with changes monitored on LED indicators. Race
Fueler can be adjusted to add or subtract fuel on ’06-’07
models. The compact unit is designed for “plug-in” installation
and remains on the bike for convenient tuning. Tuner
affects fuel delivery only and cannot change rev limit or
spark timing. For race application only.
32136-06A $224.95
Fits ’06-’07 fuel-injected Dyna, Softail and Touring models.
32173-07 $224.95

Old 03-21-2009, 08:50 PM
Shovelhead Bob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 4 Posts

RACE FUELER is not "Programmable" like a Race Tuner.... you are talking apples and carrots....

The Race Fueler is an inline PW Modifier/Modulator used to alter the Injectors pulse width, by manipulating the signal from the ECM.... When it is set, it is set... You are not creating a map, but modding the fuel requirements at specific TP's.... For the well informed, it is just another Alpha-N POS.....

Quick Reply: Are there two maps one for open loop mode and one for closed loop mode?