Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Fuel Pump not getting power from ECM

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 12:01 AM
hogrider03
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Pump not getting power from ECM

Bike sat for a few about 1.5 months. Tried to start with no/low fuel. Ran for a few seconds (rough) and then nothing. Cranks fine. Gas was very low due to some recent work, topped off with fresh. Still no start. Can't get to start again. Battery was disconnected and charged just to be sure. Battery is good, all fuses good. Found bent power pin in connector to fuel pump. Fixed it, still no start.

Traced power everywhere with the schematic. All is good except still no power to fuel pump fuse which comes from the System relay. Removed relay and verify it works fine. Cleaned contacts and swapped relays. Still no power at fuel pump connector. Briefly applied power to fuel pump connector, fuel pump energized so pump is good.

All, power circuits, wiring, fuses etc appear to be good. Problem seems to be no voltage at System Relay output to fuel pump. Seems that activation signal is not coming from ECM.

ECM was disconnected as part of tracing the voltage at one point. Not sure if I need to somehow rest the ECM. Used key FOB to set/unset the security system.

I'm thinking the ECM has disabled the fuel pump. As part of a security feature?? Pretty sure that might be the problem. Anyone able to confirm this and how to re-enable the fuel pump circuitry. Not really addressed in the owners manual or service manual very well. Going to see if I can pull any error codes tomorrow.

Any help appreciated.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:20 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the security system only disables the ignition and starter. The fuel pump is shut off when the bike tips over. That's detected by the bank angle sensor in the TSSM that's also used to cancel your turn signals. I think the first thing would be to check the ecm connector and continuity from it to the relay. If it's the TSSM there should be a DTC code.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:11 PM
tom071200c
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hogrider, did you get your scoot fixed? mine is doing the same thing and I wonder what you did to fix it.

Old 05-17-2013, 11:57 AM
kwmiller
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same prob