Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Blown fuses

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 03:59 PM
Grousehunter
Cruiser
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Blown fuses

Hello and thanks in advance for any help sent my way. I just got my bike (07 FLHTCU) back from storage today. Went over it pretty well and all looked fine. Fiddled around with it a little bit -- moved the tour pak back an inch, swapped out the original antanae for the short ones, checked oil and tires and lights -- all good. While in for storage I had a warranty repair on the heated grips (wish I had never heard of those things). While I was futzing around I had the ignition switch set to Acces as I was listening to the radio, and I turned the grips on to just confirm that they were going to get nice and warm. Fifteen minutes later as I am getting ready to go for a short ride I notice the grips are not warm. No big deal I say to myself, maybe the ingition has to be on "Run" for them to work. I head out and ride about 7 miles and decide to stop to check the oil level. I also note that the oil temp gauge is not active, but since I had a cooler put on during the winter storage, and since it is still pretty cold here, I figure well OK but a little weird. As I turn off the road I notice no blinker light on the dash. Get into the parking lot and now, no brake light, no turn signals, no cruise, no oil temp gauge, and the heated grips still don't. Got home and pulled the fuse block and the access 15 amp is blown. Seems to be the only one. I put a new one in and as soon as I turned the ignition switch to Run I heard the fuse let go. Like an idiot I had left the heated grips turned on. Is it possible that all this could be tied to just one fuse? I am out of replacements until tomorrow so I can't try anything with the grips off. Could the grips be screwing up all those applications or could I have more fuse issues that I can't see? Any suggestions are certainly appreciated. Thanks!