Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Check Engine Light / ECM Code U1097

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 06:14 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Check Engine Light / ECM Code U1097

I noticed a few days ago that my Check Engine light came on after I started my bike for a few seconds (about 7 Seconds) and then went off and everything seems to run fine. I went into the diagnostic mode last night and pulled a DTC off of the P and S module of U1097. It said in the list of codes that this is Loss of Speedometer Serial Data EFI and/or Loss of Speedometer Serial Data TSM/TSSM. I didn't clear the code to see if it was a Current or Historic code but was wondering what the heck does this code mean? I'm bringing it in for my 1000 mile service tomorrow so I left the code there. It doesn't seem to affect anything but I was just curious and thanks to anyone who can tell me what this means and how it possibly happenned.

Old 04-26-2006, 07:00 PM
cootertwo
Cruiser
Default RE: Check Engine Light / ECM Code U1097

Probably the speed sensor. I think I read somewhere that it can get matal particles on it over time, and cause this malfunction. Apparently removing, and wiping it off, fixes it in some cases. On sportsters, it's on the front of the crankcase, by the oil filter. Don't know about the other models, (yet)

Old 04-26-2006, 07:00 PM
OneBlackFly
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: oldfartjc

I noticed a few days ago that my Check Engine light came on after I started my bike for a few seconds (about 7 Seconds) and then went off and everything seems to run fine. I went into the diagnostic mode last night and pulled a DTC off of the P and S module of U1097. It said in the list of codes that this is Loss of Speedometer Serial Data EFI and/or Loss of Speedometer Serial Data TSM/TSSM. I didn't clear the code to see if it was a Current or Historic code but was wondering what the heck does this code mean? I'm bringing it in for my 1000 mile service tomorrow so I left the code there. It doesn't seem to affect anything but I was just curious and thanks to anyone who can tell me what this means and how it possibly happenned.
Old,

Several questions:
1) How do you get to the diagnostic mode,
2) What is DTC and P & S module,
3) Where are the codes listed?

BTW - do I need to get the electrical manual for my bike in order to understand what you said and answer?

Thanks

Old 04-26-2006, 08:32 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: OneBlackFly

ORIGINAL: oldfartjc

Old,

Several questions:
1) How do you get to the diagnostic mode,
2) What is DTC and P & S module,
3) Where are the codes listed?

BTW - do I need to get the electrical manual for my bike in order to understand what you said and answer?

Thanks
I don't own the Electrical Manual just the Service Manual. Everything I know about how to do this I found out about by reading different threads on this forum. This forum is a great place to share information and learn from people who are very knowledgeable.
Go to this link ( https://www.hdforums.com/forumid_247/tt.htm ) and look at the bottom two threads in the first section and depending on your year of bike it explains how to do this and gives you the list of codes. I have an 06 RK so I used the one for 04 and 05 and it works fine. I don't know what kind of bike you have since you don't show it in your signature. Good luck.