Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Terry Components: factory specs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 04:21 AM
Boof
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Terry Components: factory specs?

All,

I have an '06 Street Glide with just over 500 miles on it (three weeks... been working alot). I love everything about this bike except the lean, lean, LEAN EFI setup Harley has to do to get past the EPA. In cool weather, at speed, the thing's amazing. But if I'm in traffic, idling on a warm day, it bounces into Heat Management mode constantly. Not to mention the heat off the pipes is insane. So add me to the list of owners researching ways to fatten up the A/F mix.

Very intrigued by the Terry Components Terminal Velocity closed-loop tuner. I understand that it tunes continually, changing with load & all kinds of conditions, and that it "learns" about any aftermarket parts like exhaust, etc. What I don't get is, what standard does it tune to? It's not adjustable, right? So... no matter what parts/setup I have, it's going to eventually adjust things to its "default" or "baseline" settings. I read somewhere that it "adjusts all parameters to acheive the original factory specs."

Um... would those be the lean, lean, LEAN specs I mentioned earlier? If not, what benchmark does the unit use?

I'm not sure I'll ever add exhaust pieces to this bike. I don't really like 'em loud (sorry, guys... to each his own). But I want it to run cooler (richer) no matter what parts I've installed. For me, the other contender would be the PC III, which you can tune like crazy to whatever baseline you like, right or wrong.

Anyone know what kind of baseline or specs this thing likes to see? Close to 13/1?

Thanks in advance.

Russ

Old 04-26-2006, 10:18 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Terry Components: factory specs?

If your looking to just richen the bike up then save the money and go with the V&H's Fuelpack.

Old 04-26-2006, 04:56 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The phone number for Terry Components is 605/642-5300; they are located in Spearfish, SD.

I have a Terminal Velocity II on my 04 Electra Glide and have been real pleased with it over the last 500 or so miles since installation.

Have you had the bike back to the dealership over the heat management issue? It makes no sense to me that in April, in Nashville that an 06 SG would be tripping its heat management program. They did make changes to the EFI for 06 and there may be problems with it; don't know; just guessing. But EPA or no EPA, your bike should run fine and idle just fine in April in Nashville, TN. Take it to the dealer; it should be Harley's problem to solve, not your's.

Old 04-26-2006, 05:16 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The phone number for Terry Components is 605/642-5300; they are located in Spearfish, SD.

I have a Terminal Velocity II on my 04 Electra Glide and have been real pleased with it over the last 500 or so miles since installation.

Have you had the bike back to the dealership over the heat management issue? It makes no sense to me that in April, in Nashville that an 06 SG would be tripping its heat management program. They did make changes to the EFI for 06 and there may be problems with it; don't know; just guessing. But EPA or no EPA, your bike should run fine and idle just fine in April in Nashville, TN. Take it to the dealer; it should be Harley's problem to solve, not your's.

Old 04-27-2006, 03:46 AM
Boof
Intermediate

Have had it back to the dealer, just to express concern. Hasn't shut down in traffic or anything. Basically, the dealer just kind of shrugged & said that all the '06 baggers they're getting are simply insanely lean from the factory. I went back to the service dept., the manager there has been real easy to deal with, and he said the same thing. Said he'd called Harley three or four times on it to complain (different bikes). Told 'em it just wasn't right, wasn't good, was making the bikes run at a fraction of their potential. Harley's answer: "Sorry, that's the way we have to do it."

So, it's an EFI tuner unit of some kind for me. With this stock tune, the pipes are pistol-hot all the time. Can't be good. Still, the bike is the best ride I've ever been on. I can only imagine what it'll be like when it's running like it should.

RR

Old 04-28-2006, 12:40 AM
Skippy49
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put a Techlusion DFO on it. They're easy to install and set and relatively inexpensive. I put one on my wife's 06 Deluxe just to make it run a little better when started cold and it helped greatly. www.techlusion.com

Old 04-28-2006, 02:14 AM
Boof
Intermediate

Talked to Jim at Terry Components today. He says they shoot for between 13.7 and 14.1 (to 1, Air to fuel) with the TV. So it will "find" whatever setup you're using, and within a short time will be giving you a mix in that range. Also tweaks for altitude, etc. That should help lots of things. I know some of the bikes are coming from Harley running as high as 16 to 1. SixTEEN to one! Jeez.

Interesting... I asked Jim about the sensor placement. He said that with stock pipes they're seeing the best results from putting the sensor in the FRONT pipe. Don't the instructions say otherwise? Any thoughts on sensor placement out there?

Russ

Old 04-29-2006, 08:36 PM
motoxlrg
Intermediate

I just completed this exercise. I installed the World Thunder Empire Mentor/Alpha N unit, same thing as the TVII just has a different label. When it was purchased I was advised that a dyno tune and the mentor would yield better results. A seed was planted but I installed the mentor with a canned race tuner map that closely matched my setup. The mentor made noticeable improvements but I had changed exhaust sytems at the same time and was unclear which change was responsible for the new performance, the seed was growing at this point. Earlier this week the seed turned into a monster that grabbed $250 out of my back pocket and handed it to Gary, the dyno tuner, at World Thunder. I'm very pleased with the results. I drive 161 miles roundtrip between work and home, I have 18,000 miles on my 2006 and I wish they were all put on with this setup.The driveability difference is amazing. I wrestled with the question of what was going to work best for 13,000 miles. During the dyno tune Gary explained that most flashes and canned SERT maps leave the mixture fat or lean. And often times the fuel curve is outside the correctability of the mentor/TVII. The mentor/TVII will make the canned SERT or flash better, but not perfect. I reviewed everything available. In the end I decided to go with world thunder because they supplied me with the most convincing arguments. They also had a large collection of competitor's equipment that had been scrapped off of other customers bikes and replaced by the mentor. My best mileage prior to the tune was 44. Average mpg, in the normal 405 traffic, was 42. I have not had a chance to check the mpg on open roads yet, but the in and out of traffic figure has improved to 44. I believe the 44mpg will improve once I get used to the new performance. But at the moment the emotional experience created when I twist in a little extra throttle is more than I can resist. I've posted a link to World Thunder Empire as well as the dyno sheet for my bike below. The dyno runs were all performed with the mentor active. Run 82 is the result of the canned sert map. Run 91 is the final map, and 94 is a check to verify the rear cylinder AFR matches the front cylinder AFR.

www.worldthunderempire.com

Dyno Sheet

Old 05-01-2006, 07:45 AM
Boof
Intermediate

motoxlrg,

Help me understand this... Do you have some other pack besides the stock ECM and the Mentor? The reason I ask is, I thought (and here's where I might need some educatin') that neither the stock nor the closed loop system could be dyno'd...??

Your saying you can dyno tune the Mentor or Terry Components units? I called TC the other day, and was told that they go for between 13.7 and 14.1-to-1 in AFR, but nothing I've read on the closed loop systems suggests that this can be manually tuned; it's presented as though the unit simply adjusts what it needs to based on your setup, and eventually "finds" that AFR again throughout the range. They even advertise that you save all that money on dyno tuning. If it's true that you can dyno the closed-loop stuff, then that's probably the way I'll go. And if so, do most good tuners who do a lot of PCIII's and the like have what they need (in gear/software and in expertise) to do this on a dyno?

Thanks,

Russ

Old 05-01-2006, 03:01 PM
gary99z28
Intermediate

I use a Revtek DFO on my springer and I changed my exhaust 4 times. It is easy to install and adjust. Pull the plugs after you feel you got your bike running best after 20 miles to check their color. I was talking to a mechanic about a cam change and he recomended a higher psi oil pump and a Terry comp. closed loop efi set up. I was told I would never have to adjust my mixture ever again no matter what I change in the motor. Any way, I have great results with the DFO and recomend it.

Quick Reply: Terry Components: factory specs?