Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Is my new PCIIIUSB NFG?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 06:50 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,187 Likes on 3,734 Posts
Default Is my new PCIIIUSB NFG?

I have an 03 FLHTCI...I'm trying to save map 807-119 to my new PCIIIUSB...when I plug it in my desktop or install it on the bike and use a laptop, I can't save the map. All the software does is report the serial number. I went in enviroment settings and checked off "ask " and then tried "always" to save when exiting" but it never does. I exit, go back in, and no map. Under tools everything is greyed out, can't set throttle position.
If i try to install the accelerator pump software, it says there is no power commander connected.
I also get "error communicating with Powercommander"
When i turn on the igniton the little green light goes up and down the scale then goes out. If I connect the 9v battery it will stay on. If I start the unit, the green light will stay on without the battery and go up and down the scale with the throttle.
Unit was supposed to be brand new but had a map for an 06 already in it, plus the instruction sheets were kind of trashed. Complained and received a partial rebate. If I can't get it working soon it's going back for a full refund, and I buy a SERT download at the dealer.
Can I bring my ECM in by itself for a SERT download?
Jim

Old 03-10-2009, 09:27 AM
Old Gunny
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The SERT is a tuner that you buy. Have to buy cables also. It is then yours to keep. Comes with a bunch of instructions and lots of pre pared MAPS for all the HD bikes. Lots of TC programs with all kinds of HD parts and cams.
This Tuner connects to the bike ECM via the cables and communicates with it. The first time it connects it identifies that ECM and will not work for any other. (This thing can be cleared bu a HD dealer if something happenes to the ECM and you get a new one).
You pick a MAP from the list, open it, and then download it to the ECM. Then you disconnect the SERT and put it into the box till next time it is needed.
O,r like me, you can get a MAP that is sorta close and modify it almost any way you want. This requires some understanding of the whole engine management process. If you do not have a enough knowlege and start fooling around with this you will quickely gain the necessary knowhow. Straight up learning curve.
Actually once you do this a time or two it is the easiest thing in the world to do.
You even have a real time data collection program to monitor the engine at any point, to sort out situations. Use that, make small changes to the MAP, save it, and download to the ECM.

Last edited by Old Gunny; 03-10-2009 at 09:30 AM.
Old 03-10-2009, 11:11 AM
Hal64hd
Road Master

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts

Are you trying this running?

Old 03-10-2009, 02:52 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe you have to load the PC III with the ignition off and the 9V battery connected. I could be wrong though...I have the PCV

Do you have the instruction manual and all the software upgrades?

If not, download them all here and see if it helps. I think there are some upgrades for the software located at that link that help in updating the maps.

Old 03-10-2009, 05:46 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Ok, the computer reads the serial number once I power up the PCIIIUSB. I get the map, no problem, but when I try to send the map or the fuel table I get a message thats says error connecting to PCIII. If I go in environment options and hit ctrl r, I get error cannot reset PCIII.
This is with either a fresh 9v battery or the bike running, same thing.
Jim

Old 03-10-2009, 07:00 PM
jkoch09ultra
Road Master

Make sure you have the USB cable pushed all the way into the PC111. May have a bad cable. Radio shack and other stores sell the same type of disk. May have a bad PC111. I would check cable or replace the cable first. May try to reinstall the software.

Old 03-10-2009, 07:57 PM
roadhouse
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jkoch09ultra
Make sure you have the USB cable pushed all the way into the PC111. May have a bad cable. Radio shack and other stores sell the same type of disk. May have a bad PC111. I would check cable or replace the cable first. May try to reinstall the software.
i agree, it sounds like there is no connection between ur computer and pc III, particurly because the light on the commander is coming on.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:08 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Must be communicating because computer is picking up the serial number of the PCIII

Old 03-11-2009, 05:18 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member

Tried again tonight with a new cable, still no go. Sending it back for a full refund.
Shouldn't have to update firmware, software, etc. or wait 25 minutes listening to Muzak because all the reps are busy. Thing should work right out of the box.
Anybody need a sh*tload of partially discharged 9v batteries?
(just kidding)
Jim

Old 03-11-2009, 06:00 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Where did you buy it? If you had used Fuelmoto you would not have this problem. May have even been cheaper with lifetime access to maps and double the warranty.

Sorry to hear your experience with the PC has not been good. Whatever you choose...try going with Fuelmoto next as their customer support is the best in the business. The deal in most tuners available, give you any map you need, and they double the warranty (I think on all tuners but I could be wrong). www.fuelmotousa.com Talk to Jamie and let him know what you are looking for.

I had to work around a few obstacles when I got my PCV with Autotune (brand new product at the time) but with great support from Fuelmoto (Jamie and Keith), and in my case great support from Power Commander (Chris), I worked through the minor bugs and have had great results. Maybe try the PCV out as it really is a great tuner. But, they have other choices as well.

Quick Reply: Is my new PCIIIUSB NFG?