Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

AFR in Open loop

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 07:56 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default AFR in Open loop

Someone please explain how the ECM sets up the AFR as it is input in the AFR tables if the AFR is out of the closed loop range. To rephrase my question, if I populate the cells in the AFR table with 13.8 how does the ECM know what to do to achieve this since there is no Closed Loop Feed Back? Am I correct in assuming that this requires a correct VE calibration as a point of reference?

Is there a Formula to derive efective AFR from CLB voltage?

Old 03-09-2009, 12:24 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes, the ve tables is what is used to calibrate the ecm so that the delivered afr matchs the requested afr. It uses the ideal gas law, more or less, to estimate the mass of air into the cylinder based upon conditions in the intake, i.e. map pressure and intake air temp. The ve table is basically a multiplier on that value saying what's likely to have actually made it into the cylinder.

I've not seen a formula for converting CLB voltage to an afr. Your best bet would be to find a chart. It is not linear. You can adjust to about +/- 0.5 afr, i.e. 14.1 to 15.1 afr. 15.1 afr is about 0.4V, 14.1 is about 0.8v nd 14.6 is 0.48v. It's a zirconia narrow band o2 sensor. Beyond the 0.4v to 0.8v range the sensor is very sensitive to variations in heat within the normal operating range of the engine and small changes in voltage represent large changes in AFR. Generally the CLB table is used to transition into open loop.

Old 03-09-2009, 09:38 PM
SGDude
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Narrow-band 02 sensors suck. Like LilBusyWizer says, the ECM is ESTIMATING, what the MAP pressure is. This translates to a guess as to what the what the correct timing should be given what the load/AFR is. Potentially not good. Sounds like you have a pretty good understanding of what going on, have you looked at a wide-band 02 and ECM capable setup?

Old 03-10-2009, 07:53 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

Ok, I have done a data run with my SEST and tweaked the VE table in accordance w/the VE real data. Probably need to do a couple more runs to dial it in. Now what about VE values outside of the closed loop range? How do we get these?

I have considered a system such as ThunderMax Autotune. Don't really want to throw $900 at fuel management, but maybe in the long run it's the best option. I don't really have access to a tuner I trust.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:13 AM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

I'm not sure VE New is quite what you think it is. I think you really need to use the O2 and O2 integrator values with the afr set in range of the O2 sensors. Regretably the SEST is bugged so that it doesn't show those values.

Old 03-10-2009, 12:35 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by LilBudyWizer
I'm not sure VE New is quite what you think it is. I think you really need to use the O2 and O2 integrator values with the afr set in range of the O2 sensors. Regretably the SEST is bugged so that it doesn't show those values.
Would you please elaborate on this?

Old 03-10-2009, 02:44 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,688 Likes on 1,670 Posts

The easiest way to understand this is that the ECM uses math to calculate values. We can argue all day as to how good the ECM is but the truth is, that it runs the engines just fine. VE is the error correction in the math so that it calculates things properly, so once you have the VE set properly the rest of it works just fine from a fuel standpoint. So now you need to get the VE values setup correctly and how do you do it? With a dyno and test equipment you can adjust things until you get what your looking for as an average. Without a dyno you have to set things up to gather the necessary information and filter out all the unwanted/bad data. Make corrections then test again.

This is just what we designed Mastertune and V-tune to do for you. We correct the VE values using the range that the switching sensors can measure properly. Then, when completed set the AFR table back to what you want/need and allow the ECM to do it's job. Trying to do it without the knowledge of what the ECM is doing and what to filter out is a good guess at best.

Old 03-10-2009, 08:07 PM
LilBudyWizer
Road Warrior

Hum, well, looking at the manual it says the VE New is what should be in the VE Table based upon feed back from the O2 sensors. So I guess it is valid to use that way.

I don't believe you need to be in closed loop for the ve new, but, rather, just in range of the o2 sensor for it to be meaningful. I think it would be best if you weren't in closed loop while trying to calibrate the ve tables. So set it to like 14.3 afr across the board while doing calibrations. Really, until you have a map you are confident of you should only run the map for testing and return to the starting map when done testing. Once you feel confident of the map go buy a dyno run for like $50 to see how well you actually did.

Hopefully this is a hobby for you because it's likely going to be a long slow process. It takes a skilled technician several hours on a dyno. The dyno makes it easy to create controlled test conditions, like holding a cell to collect data. It's going to be a time consuming process on the road. No biggie if it's mainly entertainment.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:04 AM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

Recorded a rather long run yesterday, varying conditions, some slow, some fast cruising, some spanking it kinda hard from a stop. Looks like this would be easier if the SEST software would put the VE new values into a matrix w/the appropriate TPS and RPM values. I looked at the structure of the run file, seems like it would be easy enough to parse out the appropriate data into something that could be put into a spreadsheet and then pasted into the VE cells. I take it Mastertune can produce something along these lines?

Interesting that I had put regular gas in the bike and didn't see a trace of knock.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:11 AM
rjmac53
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

boy do i feel like a moron...

Quick Reply: AFR in Open loop