Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Radio turns ON - Bike is DEAD?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009 | 08:33 PM
haze324
|
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Default Radio turns ON - Bike is DEAD?

I have an 07 RG. A few months back I put some apes on it and soon after my cruise control would not engage. The switch would light up but no cruise control when I would set it. Figured maybe a wire was crimped or loose. Today i took off the hand control and all looked good. I took the front fairing off and traced the wires and all looked good. I thought perhapes it was a fuse, but those were good as well.

I put everything back together and the bike is dead. My radio turns on and so does my tail light and thats about it? No front lights, no turn signals, no ignition....my fuel injection doesn't move either when I turn the switch to run. It got late on me tonight so I couldn't really see much, but I did not notice anything major that could've been disconnected. Tomorrow is a new day and I'll take a better look -- but any ideas what causes such a big kill??

Where should I start?

Old 03-02-2009 | 09:22 PM
toolbox
Road Master

Just a shot in the dark....look under that guage housing where the bars mount and check for a pinched/ disconnected harness or inbetween the front fairing and the guages are some connector that may have come loose (Doubtful though) ANd of course look at the ignition switch harness itself....it all seems to easy , something simple like whats kickin my butt on a 97 softail....lol...oh well I am sure we will find it tommorow.
Good luck,
TOOLBOX

Old 03-02-2009 | 09:27 PM
haze324
|
Elite HDF Member
Veteran: Army

when I traced the wires coming out from under the bars to the harness and pins I did tug on a few wires so i was guessing something just came loose....but nothing. I think about the whole bike being dead and it has to be a cable running with power got disconnected "somewhere"?? Just not sure on a RG what set of wires controls the ignition, head lights, etc. Theres a **** load of wires inside that fairing! Thanks.

Old 03-02-2009 | 09:28 PM
09StreetGlider
Road Master

Try the fuses one more time as you could have pinched something on install and blew a fuse when you applied power. If that's it for you "big kill" then all you have to do is find the source of your original trouble.

Old 03-22-2009 | 09:38 PM
skulz1
Tourer

A similar thing happend to me today when putting my bike back together from a "Chrome Front End" install. Any more thoughts or end results in this situation, some more feed back would be great. I have no power to fairing, lights, gauges, stereo, etc., the only thing that seems to work is the security system.

Last edited by skulz1; 03-22-2009 at 09:43 PM. Reason: add sentence
Old 03-23-2009 | 05:35 PM
abate1
Cruiser

This sounds silly (personnel knowledge) --- did you bump the engine cut-off switch?