Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

IEDs installed on my 09 FXDC

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default IEDs installed on my 09 FXDC

My IEDs arrived today. The weather is kinda borderline, so I only went for about a 35 mile ride after I installed them (which was super easy, BTW). Here's my first impressions of my bike with the IEDs installed:

1. No more part throttle surging. My bike was really prone to do this if you were cruising with the throttle just barely cracked--like in 4th at 45 mph on level ground. The IEDs have completely eliminated it.

2. Under the same conditions as above, the exhaust note sounds more throaty.

3. Part throttle roll on feels stronger.

4. Low end pulling feels stronger. I purposely took a route that has some familiar hills and I know how my bike handles them in 5th at 50 mph. I definitely don't have to crack the throttle as much to maintain 50 on those hills. And, as with #2 above, under these conditions the exhaust note is more throaty.

Too cool today to notice any difference as far as heat off the engine, but for me, getting rid of the part throttle surging was worth the price of admission.

Old 02-14-2009, 03:36 PM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 280 Likes on 215 Posts

My XIED's were Great with just the Pythons slips when added the Ness Big Sucker thought was running on the lean side which was a little anyhow got better performance by going with a PCIII which is shown in the Dyno Pic.. But for Stock or Slip on adds IED's are the Cats Meow for running cooler and better response on the Throttle..

Old 02-14-2009, 07:28 PM
CLSKIP
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok I am not a newby but what is an IED?

Old 02-14-2009, 07:59 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by CLSKIP
Ok I am not a newby but what is an IED?
Inline Enrichment Device made by Nightrider. It plugs in between the 02 sensors and the ECM and "fools" the ECM into thinking the fuel/air ratio is too lean, so the ECM has the fuel injection richen the mixture.

Bone stock the 09 TC96 engines are running 14.5:1 to 14:6:1. With the IEDs installed it richens it to around 14:1.

There are plenty of threads in this section on Nightrider's IEDs. Just do a search. Steve, the inventor, posts here, too.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:55 AM
CLSKIP
Advanced

Thanks for the info!

Old 02-17-2009, 06:22 PM
djhrln
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

XIED's on a stock 08 EGC, very pleased with heat reduction and a bit more low end throttle response. Hmmm, something's missing from this IED thread. Can't quite put my finger on it.

Old 02-17-2009, 07:16 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by djhrln
XIED's on a stock 08 EGC, very pleased with heat reduction and a bit more low end throttle response. Hmmm, something's missing from this IED thread. Can't quite put my finger on it.
Glens telling us it's all in our head?

Old 02-17-2009, 08:28 PM
hdrider.tx
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JayStronghawk
My XIED's were Great with just the Pythons slips when added the Ness Big Sucker thought was running on the lean side which was a little anyhow got better performance by going with a PCIII which is shown in the Dyno Pic.. But for Stock or Slip on adds IED's are the Cats Meow for running cooler and better response on the Throttle..

Was curious if there was much of a change in your fuel mileage.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:48 PM
RDKing07
2nd Gear

SO these XiED's are added to stock ecms and enrichin the fuel throughout the whole map or just at idle ? Do you leave the stock o2 sensors in or what ? Does this work with a pc III, if so how do you determine where do you make changes to your map ?
RDKing07

Old 02-18-2009, 05:21 PM
hdrider.tx
Cruiser

Xied's enrich during closed loop. After warm-up from idle to maybe 70-80% throttle. From there to WOT you're back in open loop. Stock o2 sensors stay in. I think I've heard it can work with pcIII but haven't really paid attention as I'm going to at some point go with a different tuner. If you go to knightrider.com the maker he can answer your questions. I'm sure he'll get back to you.

Quick Reply: IEDs installed on my 09 FXDC