Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

IEDs installed on my 09 FXDC

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 05:41 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RDKing07
SO these XiED's are added to stock ecms and enrichin the fuel throughout the whole map or just at idle ? Do you leave the stock o2 sensors in or what ? Does this work with a pc III, if so how do you determine where do you make changes to your map ?
RDKing07
On a totally stock bike, all the IEDs do is "fool" the ECM into thinking the 02 sensors are detecting a leaner running condition than they actually are. Hence, the ECM tells the fuel injection to richen things up a bit. The end result is that in closed loop you wind up running an AFR of around 14.0:1 instead of the 14.6:1 to 14.7:1 that a stock bike runs at.

How the IEDs work with PC IIIs and the like, I don't know.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:44 PM
txtec
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hdrider.tx
Xied's enrich during closed loop. After warm-up from idle to maybe 70-80% throttle. From there to WOT you're back in open loop. Stock o2 sensors stay in. I think I've heard it can work with pcIII but haven't really paid attention as I'm going to at some point go with a different tuner. If you go to knightrider.com the maker he can answer your questions. I'm sure he'll get back to you.
closed loop is idle,cruise. any aceleration it drops back to open loop. more like 10% throttle max.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:46 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by hdrider.tx
Xied's enrich during closed loop. After warm-up from idle to maybe 70-80% throttle. From there to WOT you're back in open loop. Stock o2 sensors stay in. I think I've heard it can work with pcIII but haven't really paid attention as I'm going to at some point go with a different tuner. If you go to knightrider.com the maker he can answer your questions. I'm sure he'll get back to you.
You could use IED's with the PCIII, but why would you want to? IED's affect only closed-loop mode, which is basically the cruise range, and does nothing while in open-loop mode. Thus, there is no adjustment to anything above about 60% TP and around 3k RPM. If you did use the two together you should zero the cruise range so the ECU is continually adjusting for the richer values called for by the PCIII's base map.

If you want 14.2 (or whatever) in the cruise range, just set the PCIII values accordingly. Unless you have a PCV with Auto-Tune you can't determine exact AFR without a dyno or AFR meter, but you can reduce the values in the cruise range incrementally until you're happy with the performance.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:50 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by txtec
closed loop is idle,cruise. any aceleration it drops back to open loop. more like 10% throttle max.
I've never heard anyone declare the exact point when closed-loop ends on a Harley, but I've heard about 3k RPM and 60-70% TP. I'd like to know that tidbit, though.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:55 PM
hdrider.tx
Cruiser

It is my understanding that closed loop idle was after it warmed up to a certain point. I've also heard that open loop starts from anywhere between 50-80% throttle depending on rpm's and some other parameters. By no means do I claim to be an expert. 10% throttle? I really don't think I'm in open loop that much.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:30 PM
txtec
Banned

ever do a data log with a sest?? or look at sest or a sert map??? both will tell you exactly where closed loop is.

Old 02-18-2009, 07:38 PM
djhrln
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Gary7
Glens telling us it's all in our head?
That didn't take long, Gary7. Well done.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:11 PM
txtec
Banned

Originally Posted by djhrln
That didn't take long, Gary7. Well done.
cooler idling,cruise,maybe. better acceleration,aint happening.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:14 PM
Gary7
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by txtec
cooler idling,cruise,maybe. better acceleration,aint happening.
Why not? Part throttle roll-on is closed loop. You increase the AFR from 14.7 to 14.0 under those conditions, the engine will make more power.

Old 02-18-2009, 08:25 PM
txtec
Banned

Originally Posted by Gary7
Why not? Part throttle roll-on is closed loop. You increase the AFR from 14.7 to 14.0 under those conditions, the engine will make more power.
when you rollon the throttle any tech that has work with efi will tell you map drops your out of closed loop.

Quick Reply: IEDs installed on my 09 FXDC