Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

turn signal problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 10:37 AM
gvb
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turn signal problems

i have a 2005 fatboy anniversary edition...while riding i noticed that my alarm light (the key shaped light) was on steady. when i got home, i installed docking hard ware, and a turn signal relocation kit. after putting everything back together, the left side blinkers were not working. the front blinker lights up, but wont flash, the rear does nothing. i tested my wiring for the left rear turn signal on the right side wiring harness, and it worked fine. while checking the ownwers manual, i read that the steady alarm light indicates a current problem, so i am not even sure if the turn signals were working when i started the relocation kit. it appears that the turn signal switch is working because i can put the lights in hazard flash, but the left side doesnt flash.. back or front

Old 04-06-2005, 12:01 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: turn signal problems

Sorry, I won't be much help but it sounds to me like you have a short in the system somewhere. When you installed the relocation kit, did you have to splice additional wiring to make the reach? If so, I'd check all your wiring connections. Other things to consider are if the bulbs are all OK and if they are butting up correctly with the socket contact. If you had to pry out the reflector and socket for installation, then sometimes the flat contact can get turned, thus not allowing correct contact with the bulb. Finally the front bulbs should have two contacts, the rear one contact. I think if you slowly work through the system, you'll find the problem.

Old 04-06-2005, 12:36 PM
gvb
Stage IV
Default RE: turn signal problems update

i checked the grounds, and found a loose wire, now my left turn sigals are BOTH on but wont flash, also they wont sut off, unless i physically disconnect the battery. the front acts the same way even if i disconnect the rear signal

Old 04-06-2005, 01:41 PM
hawk
Road Master

Most of the time things like that are caused by grounding problems
ORIGINAL: gvb

i checked the grounds, and found a loose wire, now my left turn sigals are BOTH on but wont flash, also they wont sut off, unless i physically disconnect the battery. the front acts the same way even if i disconnect the rear signal

Old 04-06-2005, 02:14 PM
oldgeezer
Grand HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I believe the thing to do is to check all the wiring and also where you are getting your power. It sounds like the turn signal lights are gettting their power from an accessory block that is active regardless of the ignition position. Like back in the old timey days when we would hook up the 8 track player to our cars, we'd plug the hot wire into an unkeyed circuit in the fuse block so we could play tapes without the ignition switch on.

I think the bottom line is there are some wires haywire.

Old 04-07-2005, 01:00 AM
mikeisglidn
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

check that both ends have proper bulbes in them the front usually have a 2 poll bulb because it is used as a running lite, the rear usually has a single poll bulb, because it only comes on when you use the signals.

good luck with your problem!

Old 04-07-2005, 08:30 AM
johnp034
6th Gear
Default RE: turn signal problems

Not much help, but being an 05', wouldn't it still be under warranty? See if the dealer can help.