Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Direct Link Software

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009 | 12:14 PM
sporty06
|
Road Captain
Default Direct Link Software

I talked to a Dyno guy that said that he used "Direct Link" software to tune bikes. This is in place of the other tuners, ie SERT, PCIII/V, etc. I have never heard of this tuning software and was wondering if anyone else has heard of it or is using it. The price is right, about the same price as a SERT and the prices includes a dyno tune.

By the way, he will also tune with other tuners if you already have them. I may be not spelling the name of the software correctly. I have posted this same question in the general chat area also. One of the replies suggested I post in area and that Doc1 or Shovelhead Bob would know about this software, so here it is.

sporty06

Old 01-30-2009 | 12:37 PM
eddfive
Cruiser

Direct Link is by Technoresearch. It is equivalent to SERT or SEST and will tune any year Harley including the M&M systems. When I say equivalent I mean it will tune all of the exact same tables. DL has a lot of features and will also not leave a fingerprint on the ECU. I use it all the time but as you said I will tune with any device if the customer already has one. The price is attractive to most because I can tune and sell the DL USB key for near the same price of SEST. This tuning software is the best bang for the buck.

Old 01-30-2009 | 02:07 PM
ToBeFrank
Tourer

Originally Posted by eddfive
will also not leave a fingerprint on the ECU.
That's interesting. How do you know this?

Old 01-30-2009 | 02:41 PM
eddfive
Cruiser

You can program the bike with the exisiting stock Calibration ID and that is all that the DT will see. I tested it at a local dealership.

Old 01-30-2009 | 03:12 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
From: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.

Originally Posted by eddfive
DL has a lot of features and will also not leave a fingerprint on the ECU.
Can you elaborate on this "fingerprint"?

Old 01-30-2009 | 03:43 PM
eddfive
Cruiser

When you program a bike with DL you now have the option to give it whatever calibration ID you choose. At this time you can simply type in the stock or base calibration that is on the bike and that is what will be seen by Digital Technician at the dealership. It would appear that the bike has the base cal. You could also give it any custom numbering scheme you want, but then the dealer would see this. If the dealer wants to go through the trouble of doing a check of the software bits and compare software code of the the base cal to the new tuned base cal on the bike they might be able to see where the bike has been tuned. I do not think any dealer can do this or would know how to check software code. The SERT and SEST both leave a calibration application number so the dealer knows it has been flashed with one of these.

Old 01-30-2009 | 04:04 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

The SERT and SESPT and Direct Link all left this marker up until Mastertune came out. Direct link has now changed in the last few weeks according to eddfive.

Old 01-30-2009 | 07:55 PM
ronyd
Road Master

With Direct Link you buy a license key. That's what you own. You don;t get any software, you need additional hardware to write to ECM. So basically, only a tuner (ie, trained Direct Link tuner) can tune your bike and your can;t yourself. At least with SERT and TTS, you own it and can tinker to your hearts content, or have any tuner halve at it.

Is this correct?

Old 01-30-2009 | 09:30 PM
eddfive
Cruiser

A lot of Harley dealers offer Direct Link Tuning and most independents do as well. An independent tuner for the most part has to be able to tune everything if they want to stay competitive. M&M flashing just requires a cable and a computer. Delphi Flashing requires a cable, Direct Link ALDL box and a laptop. The software is free from the Technoresearch web site and the USB key will allow access to the software once installed. The USB key does lock to the VIN number of the bike so each USB key is specific for a bike.

http://www.technoresearch.com/

Old 01-30-2009 | 10:45 PM
BWILD
Intermediate

[quote=eddfive;4471775]When you program a bike with DL you now have the option to give it whatever calibration ID you choose. At this time you can simply type in the stock or base calibration that is on the bike and that is what will be seen by Digital Technician at the dealership. It would appear that the bike has the base cal. You could also give it any custom numbering scheme you want, but then the dealer would see this. If the dealer wants to go through the trouble of doing a check of the software bits and compare software code of the the base cal to the new tuned base cal on the bike they might be able to see where the bike has been tuned. I do not think any dealer can do this or would know how to check software code. The SERT and SEST both leave a calibration application number so the dealer knows it has been flashed with one of these.[/quote Dose the TTS leave a fingerprint or a calibration app number also?

Quick Reply: Direct Link Software