Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

tach install problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 03:07 PM
dlowder
Advanced
Location: Lived 52 years in Thomasville NC and moving to Edgewaterpark NJ in Feb.09
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tach install problem

Ordered a Drag Spec. mini tach for a 00 deuce and had installed by a indy. I was gonna attempt it but it became over my head when things like single fire and dual fire ignitions systems were mentioned. I ordered a tach adapter as well and exchanged the first one for the crane cams adapter after talking to tech support. Anyway the mech. installed tach without the adapter, said it wasnt needed however the tach doesnt register over 2000rpm. At 85mph in 5th gear tach showed 1800 to 1900rpm, I wish. Anyone ever run across this problem or is there something i could mention to the mech. that needs to be done or could this be a defective tach? Thanks for any insight in this matter.

Old 01-23-2009, 08:42 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

The tac is only reading each fire which means you have a duel fire ignition and a single fire tac. The adapter the you mechanic didn't put on should be considered a "converter" to allow the tac to work on your bike.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:03 AM
dlowder
Advanced
Location: Lived 52 years in Thomasville NC and moving to Edgewaterpark NJ in Feb.09

Originally Posted by FXSTDSE2
The tac is only reading each fire which means you have a duel fire ignition and a single fire tac. The adapter the you mechanic didn't put on should be considered a "converter" to allow the tac to work on your bike.
Thanks for the explanation. Will check today if the mech. will install the adaptor at no charge since it was his mistake.

Old 01-24-2009, 11:37 AM
dlowder
Advanced

Back to the mech. and explained problem. He said that the adapter was for a 3 wire coil and I had 2. Reguarless he rolled in the back and instlled the adapter and it started working like normal. He's a custom builder and said he's wired them straight several times without any problem. Anyway problem solved.

Old 01-24-2009, 01:46 PM
FXSTDSE2
Outstanding HDF Member

The reason most of his customs worked is because they were built with the better single fire ignition systems.

Old 08-14-2009, 08:24 AM
FlashSr.
Stage III

Can't find out which wire's under my speedo are to hook up my HD Tach. This is an 08 deluxe and I mounted a tach to the risers. Three wires that need to go where under my speedo on the gas tank?? Any suggestions!

Old 08-14-2009, 08:43 AM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's located in the wiring block under the dash at the speedo.
You'll have to remove a plastic locking bar from the side of the wiring block to remove a plastic *plug* thats in position 3.
I think it's pink or red.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:10 AM
ColdCase
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just a note that there has been some issues reported when using the speedo connector signal, sometimes its works, sometimes not. Pin 3 of the ECU connector is the ECU tach signal and that seems to always work, you may want to run your tach pink wire there instead. You may need to get the right kind of pin as I don't think the larger ECU connector pin is included in the HD tach kit.... at least it wasn't in mine..

Old 08-15-2009, 06:40 AM
FlashSr.
Stage III
Default Thank You

Just a quick thank you to the guys that sent me the information on my Tach problem. I do not know why Harley hasn't made some kind of statement on this subject except for the fact that they might want you to bring the bike to them somewhere. I finally found out after three days of looking what you guys said in only a few minutes. The Pin #3 is shown in a 2004 softail book but not in any newer books for the year of the bike. Harley is 2 years behind on all of the little extras that are mostly chrome for that years bike. I had the same problem with the Tach bracket. After getting two different brackets from Harley they finally showed up in the 2010 book for the Deluxe. Again Thank's for your help this forum is #1 in my book and I will continue to monitor it for education on my bike's. FlashSr. Boston,Ma.