Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

new pipes really require a power commander?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2009, 05:51 PM
DaveGTR
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question new pipes really require a power commander?

I want new pipes and have heard conflicting advice. I have a fuel injected Heritage. Some say new pipes alone is ok, other's say it will gunk up my injectors. I'm interested in sound moreso than power but don't want to ruin my engine. Do I really need a Power Commander and a new intake?

'02 Heritage
Want to add:
V&H Longshots
am told I need a Power Commander III and an Arlen Ness Big Sucker
also am told conflicting stories concerning set up of the PCIII, some say I can do it via my laptop, other's say a dealer should and then do a dyno. Also that I shouldn't waste my money on the "flash" download

I'm green as grass and need someone who really knows what they're talking about, not a guess or someone who has "gotten away without it so far".

Thanks a million

Old 01-07-2009, 06:28 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Injectors live in their own little world and could care less what the exhaust is doing. No gunk.
While in most cases fuel management won't be needed for pipe change, there are other benifits to it. Cooler running and a tad more power alone would be worth the install.
Ron

Old 01-07-2009, 09:13 PM
Solitaree1
Road Master

Originally Posted by DaveGTR
I want new pipes and have heard conflicting advice. I have a fuel injected Heritage. Some say new pipes alone is ok, other's say it will gunk up my injectors. I'm interested in sound moreso than power but don't want to ruin my engine. Do I really need a Power Commander and a new intake?

'02 Heritage
Want to add:
V&H Longshots
am told I need a Power Commander III and an Arlen Ness Big Sucker
also am told conflicting stories concerning set up of the PCIII, some say I can do it via my laptop, other's say a dealer should and then do a dyno. Also that I shouldn't waste my money on the "flash" download

I'm green as grass and need someone who really knows what they're talking about, not a guess or someone who has "gotten away without it so far".

Thanks a million
fuel injected 07, changed pipes, no problems, no change in the way the plugs look, no change in fuel economy.

Old 01-07-2009, 09:21 PM
ZEALOUS_DRAGON
Cruiser
Smile Did It

2009 Street Glide, put a set of slip-ons with just a download and new screamin eagle air filter. Runs great. Got the dealer to throw in the download since it so simple to do. I work on computers and after talking to the tech it is really really simple to install but if it messes up, YOU will end up paying big bucks to have the computer reconfigured.

Old 01-07-2009, 10:09 PM
GliderDoug
Stage II

With pipes AND a high flow air cleaner or kit you will be running leaner than the stingy 14.7:1 that the bike is built to handle. The HD download brings it back to 14.7:1 which is still too lean and creates excessive engine heat. The trick is to change the air:fuel ratio. Can be done with a PCIII, Thundermax, Techlusion TFI or a host of others.
Check the forum for info about tuners. This is the most common question that comes up so there is a pile of info available.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:29 AM
vgreno2000
Intermediate

Hi Dave!!!!

You have two options:
1- just change the pipes
2- Change pipes, air filter and re-carb (with a TTS, SERT, Thundermax or someone else)

If you just change pipes, you'll get low sound and maybe a little more heat.

If you take the second way, you'll get low sound, less heat, some extra power and long lasting engine.

Sometimes we waste a lot of money in chromes and paint, I think that wasting some money in our engine is a better invest.

Up to you!!!!

Old 01-08-2009, 03:08 PM
I CUT 1
Tourer

Think it's alot to do with the year model and how the programing was for that year. I've an 06 fxst and when I went with the SE open intake and SE2 exhaust setup I was told that the ecm flash wasn't realy needed. Said that the only gain would be the 6200 rmp rev-limiter, up from 5500. Was also told that after about 5000 to 5500 rpm the HP and torque fell off sharply anyway.
And they were right, mine also ran a touch rich, so never had heating problems. Even during the hotest part of summer, temp never went over 205*, per temp. dip stick.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:02 PM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DaveGTR, careful, fuel mgt. is a loaded topic. Do your homework and research before going off and spending $$$. I would make sure I understand software only products versus the hardware add-ons/replacements before jumping. I think you would be safe for a wile at least to run pipes only without adjustments. That would give you time to decide on the path you take. I would talk to a local shop that has a good tuner and get their opinion. Good luck and +1 for vgreno2000..

Old 01-15-2009, 08:39 PM
Swede99
Advanced

Installed a SE High Flow Filter and SE Slip-ons, got the Dealer to do a Stage 1 download, noticeable positive difference. Nothing else is needed on mine.

Old 01-15-2009, 09:16 PM
mphamrick
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the Dragon post, I don't know about the 02 model but they did have to change some of the setting's on my carbs.....