Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS question for Glens

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 06:58 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,688 Likes on 1,670 Posts

V-Tune calibrates your VE tables correctly so that the bike will run off the base calibration like it should. With that said every bike is different and may like something a little different to get full power from the bike. You can richen or lean the motor with the AFR and PE AFR tables after the VE's are set correctly to gain that power but it will not always be the same. Mastertune has a lot of power but remember you only need to use any part of it you like so it's only as hard or complicated as you make it.

If you want max power output you can do it on the road or on the dyno, it's all up to how much your willing to do or willing to pay someone else to do. The need to use another device to tell you the AFR ratio makes it easier but it is not necessary. Just as the dyno is not necessary but it makes the job much easier to get all there is to get.

Just remeber back a few years when bikes with carburators were tuned without any of these measureing devices. They ran great and got good mileage when properly tuned. Now with the measuring devices it made that same tune quicker and easier to do but the outcome was the same. Now we do it with computers and let them tell us what to do!

Old 01-06-2009, 08:34 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,165 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by ronyd
Now that VTune is packaged with TTS, any reason to use Twin Scan II also?

And, how do you determine which calibration file to use as listed on TTS website? : http://www.mastertune.net/files/calibrations.asp
You should not need the Twin Scan for any reason, as any log data beyond what the TTS Datamaster can offer would be better left for a dyno tune with a wideband. As far as determining your calibration when you load the TTS software there is a copy of the calibration #s with a breakdown of the specific model and specs they are for in PDF form stored in the program folder. The calibration list as well as the actual calibrations are updated everytime you run the TTS update.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 01-06-2009, 08:35 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,165 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
V-Tune calibrates your VE tables correctly so that the bike will run off the base calibration like it should. With that said every bike is different and may like something a little different to get full power from the bike. You can richen or lean the motor with the AFR and PE AFR tables after the VE's are set correctly to gain that power but it will not always be the same. Mastertune has a lot of power but remember you only need to use any part of it you like so it's only as hard or complicated as you make it.

If you want max power output you can do it on the road or on the dyno, it's all up to how much your willing to do or willing to pay someone else to do. The need to use another device to tell you the AFR ratio makes it easier but it is not necessary. Just as the dyno is not necessary but it makes the job much easier to get all there is to get.

Just remeber back a few years when bikes with carburators were tuned without any of these measureing devices. They ran great and got good mileage when properly tuned. Now with the measuring devices it made that same tune quicker and easier to do but the outcome was the same. Now we do it with computers and let them tell us what to do!
Well said Steve

Old 01-07-2009, 01:58 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member
Location: Back in the Good Ole USA. South Carolina to be exact.
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Ok, now this all brings a couple of questions to my mind. It would seem that VTune uses data provided by OEM Narrow Band O2 sensors to optimize the VE tables. That being said;
1. I have used my SEST Pro to log data and make adjustments to my VE tables. How is the VTune and TTS any better in this regard?
2. Is the data in the VE tables constant, in that it will be the same for any AFR?
2. The OEM Narrow Band O2 sensors limit us to the 14.7 AFR, but I really want to get closer to 13.5. How will the TTS help me do this?

Old 01-07-2009, 02:12 PM
ToBeFrank
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
1. I have used my SEST Pro to log data and make adjustments to my VE tables. How is the VTune and TTS any better in this regard?
Any software you use to generate new VE tables is going to be way more accurate than you could get doing it by hand (assuming the software is written correctly). It crunches more numbers than the human brain could possibly handle. It will also make the tuning process go much faster.

2. Is the data in the VE tables constant, in that it will be the same for any AFR?
Once you sync up the VE table to the AFR table, then you can make changes to the AFR table without having to modify the VE table.

2. The OEM Narrow Band O2 sensors limit us to the 14.7 AFR, but I really want to get closer to 13.5. How will the TTS help me do this?
The same way your Super Tuner allows you to... after you've synced up the VE table to the AFR table, you change the AFR table, but you won't be in closed loop mode anymore. If you want to stay in closed loop, you modify the CLB table. The TTS definitely has this table, not sure on the Super Tuner. However, I don't believe you'll be able to get down to 13.5 and still be in closed loop.

Last edited by ToBeFrank; 01-07-2009 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-07-2009, 02:45 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

Frank, thanks for the quick response. I want to clarify a couple of things so I am sure I understand.
1. Populating the VE tables with the correct data would seem to be critical. I am guessing that VE is based on the various mechanical factors affecting air flow in and out. Therefore once these values are set, they remain constant wherever the AFR is set.
2. Not sure what you mean by "after you've synced up the VE table to the AFR table"
3. Once my VE table set, I can go to my AFR tables and copy 13.5 to all the cells, and I'm in the ballpark?

Old 01-07-2009, 03:05 PM
jluvs2ride
Elite HDF Member

I realize I am somewhat over simplifying, and that other tools would be needed for fine tuning but this is the general idea, correct?

Old 01-07-2009, 03:12 PM
ToBeFrank
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jluvs2ride
1. Populating the VE tables with the correct data would seem to be critical. I am guessing that VE is based on the various mechanical factors affecting air flow in and out. Therefore once these values are set, they remain constant wherever the AFR is set.
In general, yes.

2. Not sure what you mean by "after you've synced up the VE table to the AFR table"
You set the the AFR table to one value... for V-Tune that would be 14.6. You then change the VEs (using V-Tune, some other software, or by hand) so that the AFR out of the tailpipe when the bike is running shows 14.6. When that is accomplished, the VE table and the AFR table are "synced up".

3. Once my VE table set, I can go to my AFR tables and copy 13.5 to all the cells, and I'm in the ballpark?
Yes.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:29 PM
BlockHead96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

A slight side track here, so please bear with me for a second. I want to back up a tune done with the TTS on to a thumb drive for emergency reasons. Anyone know about how much memory this will take?

Old 01-07-2009, 04:59 PM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

great thread guys. Thankx for the clarification Steve and Jamie.. Keep it coming.

Quick Reply: TTS question for Glens