Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

ECM Update for True Duals

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2009, 02:59 PM
Jerry/MD
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question ECM Update for True Duals

I'm upgrading my '08 FLHTC with V&H True Duals and Classic Slip-On mufflers. I have a SEST and I'm a bit of a novice. Soooooo, how hard is it to update the ECM for this set-up? Where can I get the info...or am I in over my head?

Old 01-03-2009, 03:45 PM
stroker1948
Cruiser

Are you talking about a SERT ? Screamin eagle race tuner. If so, you are over your head, they can only be correctly tuned with with a Dyno and a very competent operator.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:24 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But loading a base map which is proper for the equipment employed is certainly far better then not doing so.

Locate the proper base map in the SEST software and load it into the ECU according to the instructions included with the software. Changing the exhaust system type brings about changes in the fueling relationship between the two cylinders and this must be addressed.

Old 01-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Dsanchez
Road Captain
Default Not sure but

Think he's talking about the new SE Super Tuner.

Old 01-04-2009, 11:18 AM
Jerry/MD
Cruiser

Originally Posted by glens
But loading a base map which is proper for the equipment employed is certainly far better then not doing so.

Locate the proper base map in the SEST software and load it into the ECU according to the instructions included with the software. Changing the exhaust system type brings about changes in the fueling relationship between the two cylinders and this must be addressed.
Agreed. I will look further.

I have no doubt that dyno testing by a trained technician is the best route. However, there seems to be many riders here and on other forums who have been successful with the 'do it yourself' approach. It can't be THAT HARD, because too many have done it.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:40 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member

There are other parameters than can/should be fine-tuned, but the biggest factor is the Volumetric Efficiency tables. If you're comfortable doing some datalogging and subsequent fiddling, you can always get a http://daytona-sensors.com/Twin_Scan2.html TwinScan II+ kit. It'll cost (without shopping/checking around) about as much as a dyno tune (or two) but you'd have it and you can use it over and over again, on your and other bikes. Just a thought.

You could also do basically the same in a more basic manner by datalogging with your SEST and, between making adjustments and reseting your AFVs, get your VE tables closer to what you need from the base map (assuming it's not close enough). Feel free to discuss this here if you want.