Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

Popping on Decceleration

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 03:23 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well--- more i read and learn, more questions arise. AS per HD dealer. any addition of a SERT or PCIII or TTS etc, will void the factory warranty. Traveller - all tuning was done by HD dealer but i doubt they dyno it. I agree a dyno is way to really know where ure scoot is running.
Since i purchased my first HD , all was added was the SE heavy breather AC and HD stage 1 flash with the V&H oval slip ons from the dealer and was told no other ECM programing was needed.. Dealer says as long i dont run true duals, then no need to waste $$ on a external ECM programer. I read the long thread on XIED;s and IED's and went on feedback from many riders, and thats y i purchased them. Yes ure correct - we spend 30k on a HD and then Bi**h on 300 or 400 more bucks for a tuner, but i have extended warranty and XIEDs is easy to pull off when i bring in bike for service. Also reading that quite a few also have issues with their bikes with the tunner installed.
So which is way to go ??
im going to try to run bike stock without the XIED;s and see differance in spring. what amazes me is that u will rarely encounter a HD kept in stock condition.. and the ones that do have it kept stock,i read about seem to also have their scoot last many years of trouble free issues...
just my bla bla -
ride safe.

Last edited by papifun; 01-02-2009 at 03:27 PM.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:02 PM
traveler
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts

Thanks everyone for chiming in......All of htese possible reasons keep coming back to the notion that a proper DYNO tune can fix these ills.

If you use a SERT and have the dealer do the tuning, it may not void the warranty. Wouldn't hurt for you to ask them.

~Joe

Old 01-03-2009, 09:33 AM
Road_Clam
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

After I installed my TC monster baffles I encountered a slight amount of decell backfire. I added +4% fuel from idle up to 1200 rpm's within my current PC III mapping, and that was all it took. Bike runs perfect (even if my low speed mapping is "detuned" as stated). I would gladly give up a slight amount of low rpm throttle response, than listen to that friggin' annoying poping every time I let off the gas...