Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

High Air Flow and fuel delivery question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 07:53 AM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default High Air Flow and fuel delivery question?

I'm ready to purchase a high flow A/C from http://www.johnsonenginetechnology.c.../airstack.html.

I know one way or another, I'll have to re-map or go with a tuner, and optionally do a dyno.

I was always wondering and probably confused about why nothing is said about the fuel pump.

My question is:
If the bike intake is taking in more volumes of air, doesn;t this mean that there is a higher demand for fuel? If that;s the case, doesn't the fuel pump need to be sized to accommodate this or does the re-mapping or fuel mgt. systems take care of this?

Old 12-25-2008, 08:49 PM
SGDeuce
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am no expert on this, but since no one replied I will share what I know. Whatever fuel tuner you decide to use will take care of what you need. Your fuel managment add on is at the most basic level doing the same thing that re-jetting does on a carbed bike. I used the Fuel Pac. I think you would have to make some monster sized upgrades to your motor for the fuel pump to not be able to keep up.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:59 PM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like a nice product. Assuming that's all you're doing/done so far to an otherwise stock motor, I'd say get the TTS tuner (http://mastertune.net/) and you'll be good to go. As I understand it, you want to keep as low-percentage duty cycle as you can on your injectors, and that problem would crop up well down the line of mods from an airbox. Needing a different fuel pump would come some time after that.

Old 12-26-2008, 06:11 AM
ronyd
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thankx for chiming in Glens. Was almost going to PM you if nobody replied. Also, pretty familiar with all the fuel mgt products out there by now. After reading your recent posts between PC V and TTS, need to flip the coin. Probably going with your suggestion with TTS, mostly because I too rather not have additional equip. hanging off. I also don;t like the idea of eliminating the O2s , although using the PC V auto-tune module is a nice feature...

Going to talk to JohnsonEngines about which tuners they are comfy with. They have a good rep for tuners, so I would think they should be pretty savvy. We;ll se, time is money so don;t want them learning on my nickel... Hopefully, I can get a map close enough. so won;t need them to do anything.... Dyno isn;t necessary for me right now..

Also, thankx SGDuece.

Happy Holidays..

Old 12-26-2008, 08:47 AM
glens
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got lucky on one of those TTS/PC-V threads. I got outa there getting everything discussed I'd wanted to say, and all I had to do was stir the pot a little at the beginning.