Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2024, 06:47 PM
paulmedford
Road Captain
Received 171 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
There is no switching the VE tables, unless it was in the ECM to begin with. Some years are Map only, some are TPS only and the odd ball one was the 2014 - 2016 TC that would allow you to select which one you wanted to use.
It amazes me how much you know!, Just want to say thanks for always taking the time to share your valuable and much appreciated knowledge with us here ,after so many years and after being so successful.

Old 03-04-2024, 04:44 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,692 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by paulmedford
It amazes me how much you know!, Just want to say thanks for always taking the time to share your valuable and much appreciated knowledge with us here ,after so many years and after being so successful.
Thanks. We are currently looking for customers in the Southern CA area that might want to do some testing with us for new products for the 2024 model Street Glide, Road Glide and CVO Touring models. If anyone has an interest contact us and we can discuss the details.

The following users liked this post:
rigidthumper (03-05-2024)
Old 03-23-2024, 10:45 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 341 Likes on 205 Posts

Hello @Steve Cole
I set up my 2020 FLHTKSE in flight recorder mode prior to putting it away for the winter. I [this January] updated all my TTS Software. Here in Edmonton, last Monday, we say beautiful weather, I went for a 250 km ride. Here are three issues I'm having:
  1. My computer is a purpose bought Acer from Costco. I believe it has Windows 11. All the software uploaded and windows updated, and seems to be working fine. I noticed the "ALERT for all Windows users" link on your mastertune.net website. [IDK if I have an issue or not there] - seems to be running well... I'll go through the suggested mods and re-download.
  2. My Flight Recorder files are downloaded using DataMaster. The BT interface it seems to time out the motorcycle if there are many files, and the power shuts off... I'm guessing the new TTS software that was recently downloaded is incompatible with the latest data and VTuned file from last season. I've copied all the tables, but it's not clear where I start a new file. I think i'm not seeing the forest for the trees. How do I start the new file? My 117 has a K&N + Fullsac 2.25" cores. Stock otherwise. Should I go back to stock and begin again?
  3. There was an alert "splash screen" stating the injectors were >80% duty cycle. Highest peaks were 95%. All stock except as noted above. Should I buy new injectors..?
  4. Finally - I'm on the 19th tune file for VTuning. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. I've read the manuals, and I believe I'm correct. But I keep VTuning, downloading, Flight Recording, and so on. Is 19 VTune runs a lot? I usually have 4-5 larger DM files downloaded.
I'll keep at it, just a couple questions for you.
I just want to be finished up for a long IBA I'm planning in June. Contemplating seeing if Russel wants the business...

Thank you
H

Old 03-24-2024, 05:11 PM
HFS
Club Member

Originally Posted by HFS
  1. My computer is a purpose bought Acer from Costco. I believe it has Windows 11. All the software uploaded and windows updated, and seems to be working fine. I noticed the "ALERT for all Windows users" link on your mastertune.net website. [IDK if I have an issue or not there] - seems to be running well... I'll go through the suggested mods and re-download.
    1. Deleted and redownloaded all software. Followed the Mastertune guide as presented step by step. [Thank you]. Also updated BT unit, and copy / pasted tables from before. Set up for recording next ride. Next weekend should be more conducive to going for a ride.
  2. My Flight Recorder files are downloaded using DataMaster. The BT interface it seems to time out the motorcycle if there are many files, and the power shuts off... I'm guessing the new TTS software that was recently downloaded is incompatible with the latest data and VTuned file from last season. I've copied all the tables, but it's not clear where I start a new file. I think i'm not seeing the forest for the trees. How do I start the new file? My 117 has a K&N + Fullsac 2.25" cores. Stock otherwise. Should I go back to stock and begin again?
    1. Going back to starting spot. Perhaps I just need to focus on different zones for tuning.
  3. There was an alert "splash screen" stating the injectors were >80% duty cycle. Highest peaks were 95%. All stock except as noted above. Should I buy new injectors..?
    1. Not sure what to do here. IDK why H-D would use "undersized" injectors. Perhaps I should be looking at larger g/sec..?
  4. Finally - I'm on the 19th tune file for VTuning. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong. I've read the manuals, and I believe I'm correct. But I keep VTuning, downloading, Flight Recording, and so on. Is 19 VTune runs a lot? I usually have 4-5 larger DM files downloaded.
    1. I'm going to restart the process. Hoping to be done for June...
Thank you
H

Old 03-25-2024, 07:25 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy
Received 6,615 Likes on 1,820 Posts

I found the stock injectors were perfect for stage 1 or 2 on 107 engines, but exceeded 80% duty cycle on good stage 1 combos, and all stage 2 114/117s.
The SE 5.5 injectors work extremely well in the average stage 2 combo.

Old 03-26-2024, 12:10 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,692 Likes on 1,672 Posts

There is no correct way to tune your bike when riding on the street, there are many different ways that will all work. Some take more time than other but they will all get you to the same place over time. I like to teach people to do it the way that we do it, because it gets you there quicker. There is no learning the way you ride or any of the other crap you read on the internet. If you want to think about the VE tables as a spreadsheet and you have to get each of the cells filled in with data so the system can have data to work with, that should give you the general idea of what your trying to do. So how do we get data for each cell quickly? We call it "riding stupid" as no one in there right mind would normally ride this way and we've been teaching it this way since the early 1980's in the automotive part of our business, so it's not anything new. A few things people need to understand to start with is the HD system puts data our very slowly as it was never designed for tuning the engines, so we have to work with what we have. Your engine at idle of 1000 RPM fires each spark plug 8.33 times per second so in order to gather the data we would need to get it at least at the same rate of 8.33 times per second to see in real time what the engine is doing. As engine RPM increases we would need the data to come at faster and faster rates to stay up with it and at 6000 RPM the engine fires the plugs at 50 times per second. Since the HD ECM will not do any better than 12 frames per second for your model year bike you can begin to see the issue. So what can we do about all the missing data that the ECM never sends out? Not a whole lot, but there are ways to help improve getting what we can. If we slow the rate of change down to allow the ECM to send more data at or near the same RPM your going to get better results. The way you do it is by not trying to be a hotrod when riding.

You want to let the clutch out in first gear without raising the RPM any if possible, then slowly increase the RPM until you reach 4000 RPM. Once above 4000 RPM let off the throttle and allow the bike to slow back down on it's own, if possible. Once the engine has come back down to near idle speed with the clutch still out, roll back into the throttle again and repeat the process 5 times. By doing this your running the bike up slowly allowing for the most data to come in over the same area of the spreadsheet (VE table). Repeat this in each gear as this will place a different load on the engine each gear your in. This will get you the most data over the largest area of the spreadsheet in the shortest period of time. Once you've done this ride back home and process the data for the new tune file. This area and RPM range will cover 80+ % of the area that the engine is going to run in while riding.

As far as your injector size as Robin stated they are fine for a 107 but if your plans are for more than just a bolt in cam and exhaust on a 107 going to the SE 5.5 gps injectors would be a good step in the right direction.

Last edited by Steve Cole; 03-26-2024 at 01:18 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by Steve Cole:
CSt6804 (04-01-2024), HFS (03-27-2024), NiteOwl (07-24-2024), Rusty Springs (03-27-2024)
Old 03-27-2024, 06:53 PM
HFS
Club Member

@Steve Cole Thank you very much Steve for the insight. I know sometimes I hotrod, but usually I just ride it. When I'm thinking it's time to "tune" or "grab data" I try to step up the RPM slowly. I like the mindset of --riding stupid-- as it makes sense to keep it in 1st, run up to 4000 RPM, and roll off - repeat x5. then do it in each successive gear [where reasonable].

I hope to get out over the long weekend, and my laptop [for tuning] will be charged up, and I can do some field tuning. I'll come back and post results.

Thanks again, Happy Easter.
Harry

Old 04-01-2024, 03:18 PM
mrkt50
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

What happened to vtune-3 ?

Old 04-01-2024, 04:35 PM
Lonewolf176
Stellar HDF Member
Received 380 Likes on 239 Posts

It's only available in Canada. Haha just kidding, the latest is Vt BT.

The following users liked this post:
rigidthumper (04-02-2024)
Old 04-02-2024, 07:35 AM
mrkt50
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks, but i have the original black unit. do you know if vt bt will work?

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information