Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2022, 07:45 PM
S3rider
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ytnc5z2l0j...0Tune.MT9?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/iweql90p8w...1-013.MT9?dl=0

Good evening all,

Above are dropbox links of two tunes. One dyno and a combination of several vtune sessions. With vtune I've managed to get contestant but still less than stellar results. The dyno tune was good for about 1 or 2 hundred miles, then driveability went south. Question, how can the results between dyno and vtune be so different, and, is my vtune process bad or was the dyno bad

Mike

Old 03-14-2022, 09:52 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: ArmyVeteran: Navy
Received 6,615 Likes on 1,820 Posts

1) Different equipment used- you used the onboard narrowbands. Dyno operator used his widebands.
2) Large difference in timing tables between the maps.
What components do you have installed on the bike? The base map you used is for international models (active exhaust capable), the one they used is for US models. Both base maps are designed for stock 9.7:1 compression 103/255 engines with SEAC and no cat head pipe and open mufflers.

Last edited by rigidthumper; 03-14-2022 at 11:19 AM.
Old 03-14-2022, 10:01 AM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

FWIW, the consistency you get using the onboard narrowbands for the closed loop areas is expected- the widebands are very useful to measure high load/WOT sections, but I do not use them for part throttle/cruising areas unless the entire map is open loop.

Old 03-14-2022, 10:24 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by S3rider

Good evening all,

Above are dropbox links of two tunes. One dyno and a combination of several vtune sessions. With vtune I've managed to get contestant but still less than stellar results. The dyno tune was good for about 1 or 2 hundred miles, then driveability went south. Question, how can the results between dyno and vtune be so different, and, is my vtune process bad or was the dyno bad

Mike
Mike

Tell us about your bike. Include the mods and mileage as well as how you ride.

-W

Old 03-14-2022, 11:32 AM
S3rider
Stage III

Thanks for the replies. The bike is a 2010 ultra with 42k miles. Original owner had a dealer installed 107 kit, Tman 555 cams, cobra power port header and rcx mufflers. I went to S&S 110 kit due to bad rings in the 107. Was using a quart of oil ever 300 miles. Recently installed a used Basani 2into1 because I kept hitting the header at the crossover and ultimately broke the crossover bracket. My riding style is pretty tame in the city and residential areas. On the interstate I'm usually running 80 or better. For clarity I've been Vtuning with the DAG cal, the tuner used the DAC. Fuel mileage is a concern for me more than performance if I take it easy I might get 38mpg my worst to date is 26 on the interstate with high head wind.
Thanks
Mike

Old 03-14-2022, 12:26 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Thanks for the replies. The bike is a 2010 ultra with 42k miles. Original owner had a dealer installed 107 kit, Tman 555 cams, cobra power port header and rcx mufflers. I went to S&S 110 kit due to bad rings in the 107. Was using a quart of oil ever 300 miles. Recently installed a used Basani 2into1 because I kept hitting the header at the crossover and ultimately broke the crossover bracket. My riding style is pretty tame in the city and residential areas. On the interstate I'm usually running 80 or better. For clarity I've been Vtuning with the DAG cal, the tuner used the DAC. Fuel mileage is a concern for me more than performance if I take it easy I might get 38mpg my worst to date is 26 on the interstate with high head wind.
Thanks
Mike
How many miles on the 02 sensors?

-W

Old 03-14-2022, 01:26 PM
S3rider
Stage III

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
How many miles on the 02 sensors?

-W
Roughly 23k miles. On data runs both front and rear switch as expected and only read rich on acceleration.

Old 03-14-2022, 01:41 PM
rigidthumper
Stellar HDF Member

Kind of comparing apples and grenades- the DAC map was set at 103" displacement, with different timing, than the DAG map (set to 110"). The Bassani will have different flow characteristics & reversion waves (and VE tables) than the Cobra head pipe/RCX muffler combo. Use V-tune to set as much of the closed loop area as possible, then, if you wish, have the wide open section adjusted via the dyno for the new components you installed.

The following 3 users liked this post by rigidthumper:
FLTRI17 (06-05-2022), Richard Bruce (07-09-2022), S3rider (03-14-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 01:52 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

Roughly 23k miles. On data runs both front and rear switch as expected and only read rich on acceleration.
The reason I asked is because you were burning a qt of oil every 300 miles. This could damage your 02 sensors and create VTune issues.

I too see the timing chart on your VTune... why the huge changes? There is no way you are tuning in those areas with Flight Recorder. Did you borrow the chart from another tune?

RT is right, that sounds like a good plan... and I would like to see you start out with the default timing tables so you can see your tuning changes to the timing.

-W

The following 2 users liked this post by Mr. Wizard:
Richard Bruce (07-09-2022), rigidthumper (03-14-2022)
Old 03-14-2022, 03:00 PM
S3rider
Stage III

Originally Posted by rigidthumper
Kind of comparing apples and grenades- the DAC map was set at 103" displacement, with different timing, than the DAG map (set to 110"). The Bassani will have different flow characteristics & reversion waves (and VE tables) than the Cobra head pipe/RCX muffler combo. Use V-tune to set as much of the closed loop area as possible, then, if you wish, have the wide open section adjusted via the dyno for the new components you installed.
I agree. The it was dyno'd with the DAC map when it was still a 107. When I was Vtuning 107/cobra it was closer to what it is now. That was sort of the point of my initial post, how could they be so different. I don't understand.
Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
The reason I asked is because you were burning a qt of oil every 300 miles. This could damage your 02 sensors and create VTune issues.

I too see the timing chart on your VTune... why the huge changes? There is no way you are tuning in those areas with Flight Recorder. Did you borrow the chart from another tune?

RT is right, that sounds like a good plan... and I would like to see you start out with the default timing tables so you can see your tuning changes to the timing.

-W
The current O2 sensors came with the pipe. The oil burners are still on the old pipe. I think I copied a different timing map and pasted to add timing then cut where needed. All the areas where there is reduced timing have been suggested by Vtune. If I were to start over, is the DAG the best option? Or in your opinion would a different cal be more appropriate?
Thanks for the feedback guys

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information