Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 07:55 AM
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,323 Likes on 6,759 Posts

Thanks for the information.

Old 05-11-2019, 11:19 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru
Received 3,691 Likes on 1,672 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterGem
Feels pretty good. Throttle is responsive. It seems like it's running hot, but data shows 300F which seems normal for M8. I can't run any richer as Lambda is set at .982 for all cells which is limit for closed loop on M8, also it smells like it's running rich as is. Is that odd? Never noticed much gas smell until I adjusted the lambda for recording.
Once you set the Main Lambda table back to original, when finished the smell will be gone. Some smell it, some do not when your vtuning. The temp sensor is located different on the M8's so they read hotter than the old Twin Cams.

The following users liked this post:
MisterGem (05-12-2019)
Old 05-12-2019, 12:14 AM
MisterGem
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Cole
Once you set the Main Lambda table back to original, when finished the smell will be gone. Some smell it, some do not when your vtuning. The temp sensor is located different on the M8's so they read hotter than the old Twin Cams.
I appreciate all your feedback, Steve. This was intimidating to begin, but this forum and the information you've provided me make me feel better about this process! Looking forward to reading more and learning from everybody here.

Gem

Old 05-13-2019, 12:16 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,776 Likes on 986 Posts

I have a '14 Low Rider that I bought last year, which came with a Mastertune. The bike would pop on decel or blipping the throttle. One thing I discovered is the exhaust gaskets were leaking at the ports, so I installed a pair of Screamin' Eagle gaskets with copper sealant. It didn't make any noticeable difference, so I decided to do a new round of Flight Recorder runs. I did those while riding a variety of speeds, roads etc. After a while the charts looked good and I finalized the tune. It's better, but will still pop some. Decel Enleanment doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect either.

I have a Screamin' Eagle Ventilator intake and V&H Big Shots. I've read that some popping normal, especially with louder pipes. True? I'm not unhappy with how it sounds and rides, I'm just curious about this.

Old 05-13-2019, 03:29 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Originally Posted by Bluesrider.df
I have a '14 Low Rider that I bought last year, which came with a Mastertune. The bike would pop on decel or blipping the throttle. One thing I discovered is the exhaust gaskets were leaking at the ports, so I installed a pair of Screamin' Eagle gaskets with copper sealant. It didn't make any noticeable difference, so I decided to do a new round of Flight Recorder runs. I did those while riding a variety of speeds, roads etc. After a while the charts looked good and I finalized the tune. It's better, but will still pop some. Decel Enleanment doesn't seem to have any noticeable effect either.

I have a Screamin' Eagle Ventilator intake and V&H Big Shots. I've read that some popping normal, especially with louder pipes. True? I'm not unhappy with how it sounds and rides, I'm just curious about this.
Decel Enleanment typically will not solve popping.on short pipes or open style mufflers. The shorter the pipes the easier the air is allowed to get back up the pipe to where the O2 sensors are at. Same goes for open style mufflers. When the air get there it allows the mixture to burn and that gives you the pop. It is possible to locate the conditions that cause the pop by using the Flight Recorder but you need a way to mark the records, so when looking at the data you can see where your at. To do this, when the pop occurs pull the clutch in and rev the engine three times in a row quickly. This will be the area you look for in the recordings, find the three rev's and you know the pop occurred just before that. Now you can see where that puts you on the timing tables and the VE tables so an adjustment can be made ONLY to that area.

WKNDS (05-13-2019)
Old 05-13-2019, 08:50 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,776 Likes on 986 Posts

Nice explanation Steve, thanks. It's not something I'm going to chase down, but now I understand it.

Old 05-19-2019, 05:11 PM
SSTuner
Supporter
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Ordered TTS #2000008 for my 2009 XR1200. Only XR1200 file available is TXR176-03-AT which is tuned for air cleaner only. My bike has a high flow air cleaner and Vance & Hines Black Widow 2-1-2 exhaust. Took the bike out on a short ride with OEM tuning and there is popping in the lower RPMs and backfire on decelerations. The bike runs very well as far as I can tell from 4K to 7K. What is my next step in clearing out the low end issues? Thanks in advance.

Old 05-19-2019, 07:30 PM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

Originally Posted by SSTuner
Ordered TTS #2000008 for my 2009 XR1200. Only XR1200 file available is TXR176-03-AT which is tuned for air cleaner only. My bike has a high flow air cleaner and Vance & Hines Black Widow 2-1-2 exhaust. Took the bike out on a short ride with OEM tuning and there is popping in the lower RPMs and backfire on decelerations. The bike runs very well as far as I can tell from 4K to 7K. What is my next step in clearing out the low end issues? Thanks in advance.
Look in chapter 4 of the TTS Tuning guide for Vtune directions. This will explain how to properly tune your combination in. At the end of the chapter there are flow charts and you would be looking to use the first one if you just want the steps of how to do it. Basically you set the calibration up for Vtune and program the bike. Then you ride the bike to collect data up and process that data with Vtune3 to get your new calibration to install in the bike.

jjdaly (07-26-2019)
Old 05-20-2019, 11:04 AM
Punch Nugget
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MisterGem
Hi All,

Brand new to these forums. Haven't ridden in over ten years and finally bought a 2019 Street Bob in March. Just recently installed a Two Brothers Comp-S Exhaust and Arlen Ness Monster Sucker breather. I looked around but couldn't find any calibrations that seemed close, so I went with the "Upgraded Stock GSA800-01" file in MasterTune. I have 2 Flight Recordings completed and have attached an image of my VE tables. How am I looking? I don't have any tuning experience, but I needed a new hobby. I'm just going off of what I've found on this forum (man there's a lot!).

My questions are:

1) Is there a better base calibration for my FXBB with the new parts?

2) How do my VE tables look? I know I need to do a few more flight recordings and get into the 5% area for all charted data, but I feel like my chart has a lot of empty space.

I apologize if these have been answered somewhere in this magnificent pile of information, but I figure it would be a good opportunity to join the community!

Thanks in advance.

Gem
Why doesn't it change past 40 on the tps?

Old 05-21-2019, 10:31 AM
Steve Cole
HD EFI Guru

The ECM has limits for where and how it learns both Fuel and Spark. Also, it can only learn in the areas that the rider runs the engine, so any one of these unknown things could be why your not seeing what you think should be there.

Mr. Wizard (06-06-2019)

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information