Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2016, 11:58 AM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,365 Likes on 988 Posts

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
Before deciding if a sensor is acting correctly or not. I like to see at least a good 200f on the engine temp and sometime spent idling. These sensors are dependent on EGT to reach operating temp. Watching a Vtune histogram can show that the ECM is ignoring this sensor input until things are up to temp and even on a hot restart they are ignored for a bit also.
Hopefully not too dumb of a question; why wouldn't you want to
replace the O2 sensors with heated versions to eliminate the "warm up" issue?

Thanks,

T.

Old 06-03-2016, 12:31 PM
Tsani
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by WKNDS
Hopefully not too dumb of a question; why wouldn't you want to
replace the O2 sensors with heated versions to eliminate the "warm up" issue?

Thanks,

T.
Not a dumb question at all. Rather simple answer, not all ecm's are compatible with the heated sensor. It can be done with a expensive ecm upgrade, I believe, but I am not 100% positive about that. Also, the heated circuit is not a cure all in my opinion. The original problem lies in the exhaust design and sensor placement. You can dress up a pig, but it is still a pig. And, it is still wise to do a engine warm up anyway.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:00 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

in addition, albeit not as long as non-heated sensors, the heated sensors still require a warmup period

my rule of thumb is simply wait for the bike to hit 167° before doing any recording or tuning.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:33 PM
Tsani
Cruiser

I believe with TTS, the data stream is not valid in regards to the O2 until the engine temp hits 168*F. Then the Temp indicator in the Historgram goes Green.

Old 06-03-2016, 01:39 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

that's correct

Old 06-03-2016, 01:59 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 567 Likes on 393 Posts

Keep in mind that if you do a hot start and the engine temp is still 225. There still a period of waiting.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:59 PM
Tsani
Cruiser

Thanks, did not know that.

Old 06-03-2016, 10:10 PM
Sammis
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi All

I've been running the HD SuperTuner for almost 1 year now and feel decent about my understanding of the tuning process, although camshaft theory still makes my head hurt. That hasn't stopped me from experimenting though .

Anyway, for several reasons, I've just switched to the TTS blue dongle. I am once again learning new stuff. I've read the Wizard's tuning doc as well as the TTS manuals and quite a few pages of this thread.

I ride a 2015 Road Glide Special with the 120ST engine. I'm running the DAR617-04-A1.MT9 calibration. The TTS gives me two options for the VE tables, TPS and MAP.

I can tune the bike without any issues using the TPS tables.

My issue has to do with the MAP based VE tables. I will mention here that I run external breathers, mainly because that is what I think is causing the issue.

When I tune with the MAP VE tables, whether I use the simple or advanced VTune3 process, the EGR tables get adjusted downwards, drastically (50-135% changes). The bike runs fine during the recording.

The issue starts after I apply the first VTune adjustments. From a dead stop at idle, it gets hard to start off. I have to rev up quite a bit to get it moving.

It just gets worse with each subsequent VTune.

My guess is that since I don't have the breathers running through the Air cleaner as per factory design, that the VTune process is seeing something wrong with the airflow and thus keeps dropping the EGR numbers which keeps dropping the VE table numbers. After 2 VTunes, the cells around the idle settings (45-50kpa @1000rpm) are in the low 40s while the rest of the table is 80+.

I was considering sending this to TTS but I figured I ask here first.

Thanks for any input!

Dan

Old 06-03-2016, 11:12 PM
Tsani
Cruiser

To be honest, I don't see how external breathers would be an issue at all.
EGR has more to do with the exhaust's effect on VE.

Old 06-04-2016, 12:52 AM
Sammis
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the section from the TTS tuning guide which makes me think that the external breathers might be affecting things:

3.1.27 EGR Effect Table(s) The EGR Effect Table compensates the VE calculations for exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) dilution of the intake airflow. This is used to shape the VE table at MAP values of 60 kPa or less....

Since i have external breathers and a very open air cleaner, I'm guessing that the EGR table is picking up the hot air external from the air cleaner and somehow mistaking that for "dirty" exhaust gas or a dilution of the intake airflow.

I know it's a stretch but I haven't found anything else that seems to affect this.

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information