Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 06:18 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

I'll leave the answer to this to the more experienced but what say you use a DNI176-04 MT9 File?

the SE257 cam is close enough IMO to the 777 for this exercise

Timing - Duration - Lift - TDC Lift
22/42 - 244 - 575 - 200
44/20 - 244 - 575 - 187

SE257

24/48 252 569 213
59/21 260 569 200

increase your CI by 4% to 107.4 from 103.3
increase injector size to what you have ( i don't see that posted anywhere in this thread)
decrease front and rear VE by the same 4%

flash it, run your cam tune analyzer, flash that
go vtune keeping your rpms under 3k for a couple of vtune runs to see where your VEs fall and make sure you're not pinging like an SOB.

and go from there.

What say you more experienced guys?

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 05-19-2015 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 07:37 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

With that Pro Pipe there is no need to decrement the VE's by 4%.

Old 05-19-2015, 08:01 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

yeah good point. That thing is going to be a bitch to tune regardless of what he starts with. This is certainly not a tune, I as a "street tuner" would even think about touching. As Wiz stated earlier this is not a starter type tuning project.

I think you should put that thing on a trailer and get it to a reputable tuner. I'd also find someone else other than Joe if it were me in your shoes.

From TTS website. someone at one of these TTS dealers should be able to turn you onto a tuner in that area.

2 Brothers Trikes, LLC 1845 Central Ave Albany NY USA 518-573-9173 www.2brotherstrikes.com
Cycle Pro 1 Morningstar Rd Staten Isl NY USA 718-818-0155
Golden Motors 505 Main St Bx 211 Cairo NY USA 518-622-3317
J & R Auto and Cycle 123Rte 202 Garnerville NY USA 845-429-5170
Moroneys Harley-Davidson 833 Union Ave New Windsor NY USA 845-564-5400 www.fasthog.com
Preferred Cycle Parts 228 County Hwy 7 Otega NY USA 607-988-9661
Rosa's Cycle Shop 540 New York Ave Huntington NY USA 631-424-4955 www.rosascycle.com
Voz Cycle City 3287 Niagara Falls Tonawanda NY USA 716-260-1180 www.vozcyclecity.com

Old 05-19-2015, 08:38 PM
Loner88
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dtt u1255

Apparently lost my ECM today; have been v-tuning, everything going well, bike running better with each new map, and suddenly get bad ecm os message when when reading the ecm before loading latest map. Speedo shows code for serial data error. Bike no start WTF

Old 05-19-2015, 10:34 PM
user 46092
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
yeah good point. That thing is going to be a bitch to tune regardless of what he starts with. This is certainly not a tune, I as a "street tuner" would even think about touching. As Wiz stated earlier this is not a starter type tuning project.

I think you should put that thing on a trailer and get it to a reputable tuner. I'd also find someone else other than Joe if it were me in your shoes.

From TTS website. someone at one of these TTS dealers should be able to turn you onto a tuner in that area.

2 Brothers Trikes, LLC 1845 Central Ave Albany NY USA 518-573-9173 www.2brotherstrikes.com
Cycle Pro 1 Morningstar Rd Staten Isl NY USA 718-818-0155
Golden Motors 505 Main St Bx 211 Cairo NY USA 518-622-3317
J & R Auto and Cycle 123Rte 202 Garnerville NY USA 845-429-5170
Moroneys Harley-Davidson 833 Union Ave New Windsor NY USA 845-564-5400 www.fasthog.com
Preferred Cycle Parts 228 County Hwy 7 Otega NY USA 607-988-9661
Rosa's Cycle Shop 540 New York Ave Huntington NY USA 631-424-4955 www.rosascycle.com
Voz Cycle City 3287 Niagara Falls Tonawanda NY USA 716-260-1180 www.vozcyclecity.com
The dealer I go to is on that list and I've heard both good and not so good stuff about their "expert," and the other place I've heard nothing but bad reviews.
Joe told me he needs a bike left with him for 3 days to tune properly.

My question is, with all the functionality of the TTS Mastertune, why is my bike going to be so difficult? I can see needing to do 10-12 V-tune runs, and some smoothing of VE tables, but didn't we buy Masterune tuners so that we don't have to pay a tuner? With the collective experience of the regulars here I would think we could get it close enough to perfect for a daily ride.
No insults intended, I just think it sounds like a challenge we could all sink our teeth into.

Last edited by user 46092; 05-20-2015 at 01:25 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:26 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by ctwith3
The dealer I go to is on that list and I've heard both good and not so good stuff about their "expert," and the other place I've heard nothing but bad reviews.

My question is, with all the functionality of the TTS Mastertune, why is my bike going to be so difficult? I can see needing to do 10-12 V-tune runs, and some smoothing of VE tables, but didn't we buy Masterune tuners o yhat we don't have to pay a tuner? With the collective experience of the regulars here I would think we could get it close enough to perfect for a daily ride.
No insults intended, I just think it sounds like a challenge we could all sink our teeth into.

Just my couple of cents worth, I'm comfortable tuning Stage 1 and Stage 2 stuff all day long. Start porting heads, bumping compression, you can kill a build in a hurry if you don't have your ducks in a row. When I built the 120 in my 06 Ultra, I never even considered trying to v-tune it. I put it in the trailer and hauled it 450 miles one way and left it for a couple weeks to be broken in and tuned on the dyno under controlled conditions.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:50 AM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

I provided you with a starting point and I'll back out now as I'm not up to nor do I think you'll find many here or with your post on HTT that are going to be able to (not want or desire to, but be able to) help you with this. The people you need help from are professional tuners with capabilities way beyond what most of us are capable of and they don't live on these forums. They pop in every now and then to assist where they can. Has nothing to do with the tuning device as you mentioned but rather your own abilities WITH that tuning device. Wouldn't be any different if it were a SEPST, PV, or PCV. Still going to be a bitch to get running correctly especially street tuning it.

This is my for what it's worth and don't take offense to it; just my thoughts.

Your build IMO is all over the place. With that exhaust and those heads, I personally would have punched this thing out to a 117 at least instead of doing a 107. Can't believe HS didn't try to get you to do that in all honesty.

You also don't make mention of pistons and compression which is a HUGE factor in all of this.

Have fun and I'll be following to see your end results.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 05-20-2015 at 07:54 AM.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:45 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by ctwith3

My question is, with all the functionality of the TTS Mastertune, why is my bike going to be so difficult? I can see needing to do 10-12 V-tune runs, and some smoothing of VE tables, but didn't we buy Masterune tuners so that we don't have to pay a tuner? With the collective experience of the regulars here I would think we could get it close enough to perfect for a daily ride.
The challenge is more than you are aware of and you have bitten off more than you can chew. Anyone here who usually assists in tuning already know you have this hour glass restriction in your build. It's not the tuner.

This restriction is your motor combination along with your build mods. After 3000 RPM's the bike will wake up and haul butt but anything before that your motor will have no street manners at all. The low to short mid range will be a total B*tch to tune with that cam and pipe not to mention the head work. You need more cubic inches to drive all of your modifications.

I again make this plea... Find a Dyno guy. Tuning this on the street will be difficult at best. Any price around 450 and up would be reasonable for your build because the aforementioned low and mid range issues.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:34 AM
nottaway
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
This restriction is your motor combination along with your build mods. After 3000 RPM's the bike will wake up and haul butt but anything before that your motor will have no street manners at all. The low to short mid range will be a total B*tch to tune with that cam and pipe not to mention the head work. You need more cubic inches to drive all of your modifications.
Hey Wiz,

Will you expand on some of these points? I only ask as his build is very similar to the one I have in mind. This setup is about the max you can go without cracking the cases and doing crank work and is very popular. Doing the case and crank nearly doubles the cost not to mention having to buy new jugs.

You mention the cam and pipe. What specifically about the cam and pipe make it hard to tune and the bottom rpm/load ranges a bitty? The 777 is actually a pretty mild cam for a 107 with headwork, no? Whats wrong with the pipe?

Done take these questions as criticism bc its not, I'm curios to learn as always.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:23 AM
user 46092
Banned
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Interesting, and no offense taken on my end.
Scott suggested that going to 117 would be way more than I need, knew I already had the TW-777 cam, and told me to move to a 2-1 exhaust. I told him I don't like the sound of the fat cat and we came up with the Vance and Hines 2–1 pro pipe. I emailed him last week and he recommended the throttlebody so I bought it- he didn't say anything about this being hard to tune. I also double checked with Bob woods about matching the throttle body and exhaust and he said they are a great match. Finally, I Cold HPI because Scott didn't have the throttlebody in stock and they gave a big thumbs up to the 55 mm on this motor, and they knew everything that was included in the build.
I just got a call from TTS and apparently they were closed a few days. They are giving all my info to one of their top techs and he will get back to me with settings to get the tuning started. Wish me luck.
Out of curiosity, would changing the cam alone make a big difference in the tunability?
I was to told the power wouldn't be there until the upper revs, I was told by Bob Wood the power would be there throughout the whole range,

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information