Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 03:41 PM
nottaway
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK I've been pulling timing and pulling timing and pulling timing and I still get an occasional knock in the region shown retarded.... It appears randomly all over and on both cylinders, sometimes at the same time sometimes not... I'm starting to wonder if its something other than timing.

Does this look right? I would have thought that it would have been stopped by now?

The base file is CAA176-03

Attached Thumbnails TTS Mastertune Information-timing.jpg  
Old 04-23-2015, 05:54 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Something else is causing that. What I don't know but you need to find it. Take a look at your data and see if you can find an anomaly.

Old 04-23-2015, 07:07 PM
09fxdfse
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nottaway
OK I've been pulling timing and pulling timing and pulling timing and I still get an occasional knock in the region shown retarded.... It appears randomly all over and on both cylinders, sometimes at the same time sometimes not... I'm starting to wonder if its something other than timing.
You have OEM plugs and plug leads ?

Old 04-23-2015, 08:31 PM
nottaway
Tourer

Ok well im partially glad becuse all the pulled timing has made it super sluggish.

The wires are stock and the plugs are screaming eagle standard compression.

I guess i can start throwing darts and replace plugs wires and what else?

Old 04-24-2015, 06:25 AM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Ok well im partially glad becuse all the pulled timing has made it super sluggish.

The wires are stock and the plugs are screaming eagle standard compression.

I guess i can start throwing darts and replace plugs wires and what else?

I'd start by putting stock plugs in, you could do wires also as they aren't that awful expensive. I chased the same thing on my 06 Ultra back in 2008, drove me nuts. It would out of the blue buck, backfire and sometimes ping. After data logging I found it pulling 13+ degrees out, previously it had run like a champ for over a year. Changed plugs and wires which solved the problem.

Old 04-24-2015, 06:34 AM
nottaway
Tourer

Originally Posted by msocko3
I'd start by putting stock plugs in, you could do wires also as they aren't that awful expensive. I chased the same thing on my 06 Ultra back in 2008, drove me nuts. It would out of the blue buck, backfire and sometimes ping. After data logging I found it pulling 13+ degrees out, previously it had run like a champ for over a year. Changed plugs and wires which solved the problem.
Cool, thanks for the info.

I was thinking same thing. I bought the plugs thinking they were Screaming Eagle so they must be better right!?

I have read online that the only plugs which work correctly with ion sensing are the 6R12 plugs so I'll pick up a set of those and try that. I will only change one thing at a time so hopefully i can pinpoint it for others information.

The plugs are the only thing I have changed and I didn't do any spark monitoring before.

The puzzling thing is as you said, it has lots of data points all around the knock event and out of the blue would just detect knock. Like one event in an hour of riding right in the meat of a group of data points.

I'll do plugs and report back.

Old 04-25-2015, 09:55 AM
nottaway
Tourer

Guys I'm happy to say that it was the plugs. I installed the stock plugs and the knock retard is gone.

I rode all night without a single one.

I asked the tech if he had heard the screaming eagle platinum plugs didn't work proper with the knock sensing and he had not heard about that.

For me it fixed it.

Old 04-25-2015, 10:49 AM
Wmitz
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 135 Posts
Default O2 sensor readings

I've been going over some data/vtune runs, and have been noticing very high sensor readings. At idle they bounce 940-1680 mv, running at 2000-2500 they run as high as 1800 mv. Lambda is set for 981, engine temps in the 240's. The mv calculator is saying 981 should be 785 mv. Am I misinterpreting the info or are the seniors toast, bike has 24k miles on it.

Thanks

Old 04-25-2015, 02:55 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Guys I'm happy to say that it was the plugs. I installed the stock plugs and the knock retard is gone.

I rode all night without a single one.

I asked the tech if he had heard the screaming eagle platinum plugs didn't work proper with the knock sensing and he had not heard about that.

For me it fixed it.
Glad you found the problem.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:00 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default tune or Flight recorder

I am running a new to me 2012 FLHXSE with fullsac pipes and everything else is stock. My tuner is the TTS tuner and the map is from Fullsac.

Bike runs good. MPG is 38.

I am considering a dyno tune or should I run the flight recorder and be happy with that until I do cams and head work? The cams and head work are not going to happen this riding season.

My big concern about the flight recorder is staying out of the throttle to get the low end tuned first.

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information