Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 09:59 AM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 567 Likes on 393 Posts

I have seen cam data take a down turn. Usually when its a small number like 2.

Fresh air in the exhaust is going to cause the mixture to read lean. In turn the ECM adds fuel. Causing VE's to go up.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:12 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Since his VE's are dipping down and continue to do so even after decreasing his Cubic Inches the sensors are reading rich, yes?

I have seen no dips in cam data without there being a mechanical issue so what could be the answer for his VE dip?

Can't wait to hear about the compression and a leak test results. That info alone will save a lot of this back and forth.

Old 04-01-2015, 10:14 AM
wideglidewy
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
I remember the valve seat grind sucked but the ports were OK. Doesn't excuse the fact you had heads returned to you in that condition.
I will do a compression test to verify - as soon as I can get in the shop I will do this. I appreciate the thoughts on this matter. Thank you to the other folks who chimed in.

That being said - I rode the bike to work this morning (25 miles, 45 degrees out), and used a clean DAD009 basemap with NO VTing with the cams set at 3/3, warmup enrichment upped 5%. Bike started fine, idled fine and smooth, ran fine down the highway, plenty of power, no popping, no lull at 2k RPM, etc. So for now, I'm keeping this basemap and WILL NOT VTune, and will take the bike in to verify the suspected compression/leaky valve issue.

Old 04-02-2015, 01:33 PM
nottaway
Tourer

Who did a port job on a set of heads and returned them with leaky valves?

Feel free to PM me if appropriate but im investigating potential head porters for mine. I wouldnt want that kinda work in mine.

Old 04-05-2015, 05:19 PM
a2wheeler
Novice

Originally Posted by wideglidewy
I live in Colorado, so one of the VT runs last night was up a mountain, starting elevation 6000' ending elevation, 8500', within a few miles, very steep grade. But I'll do it again, at higher RPMs, if that's what you recommend. It's a fun ride, nonetheless! As for the low VE values, how much higher is "acceptable", and if I stick with the current settings (i.e. don't switch to 96" settings), what are the ramifications? I've read that the 2:1 pipes cause this sag in VE values. The 2000k throttle response issue that I had is gone, but is this related? And what about those really high (120+) VE values?
I live in colorado also, and have found that I need to be about 6000 ft or lower to hit the 80kpa columns. And I also noticed that after taking several vtune runs at 6000 ft, with most all VE cells white, I decided to take a vtune run at 7500 ft. That vtune wanted to change many of the lower kpa column to higher values and those columns to the right of 60kpa, it wanted to reduce. Effectively it was shifting all kpa columns to the left. Seems to be better to stay at one elevation for all vtuning runs.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:27 PM
wideglidewy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Since his VE's are dipping down and continue to do so even after decreasing his Cubic Inches the sensors are reading rich, yes?

I have seen no dips in cam data without there being a mechanical issue so what could be the answer for his VE dip?

Can't wait to hear about the compression and a leak test results. That info alone will save a lot of this back and forth.
All - I wanted to provide an update to this thread to help future people who may have similar issues, please read:

Re-ran the cam analyzer - this time for longer - about 6-8 minutes. No dip (see attached image). If you have been following this thread, there was speculation about faulty cam installation (being a tooth off) or compression issues/leaky valves as demonstrated by the cam data decreasing past 6 IVO. The evidence at this point, suggests that this is not the case.

To summarize where I'm at with this project - I have a 2012 FLHX, high flow AC, Thunderheader 2:1, and Wood 777 cams. Using a TTS Mastertune base calibration of DAD009 (cam setting of 3/3). After running about 15 Vtune runs, and talking to TTS, I opted NOT to modify this calibration using any Vtune adjustments. The Vtune adjustments were dropping the VE values in the low RPM range. From consultation with TTS and my local mechanic, this is due in part to several factors, namely the Wood 777 cams in combination with the Thunderheader 2:1, stock compression ratio, and high elevation. Instead and to address some air/fuel ratio issues that I observed, I made the following adjustments to the M9 DAD009 base calibration: 1) increased 20 kpa column in main lambda table by 2 units between 1750-3500 rpms, 2) increased values in the warmup enrichment table by 5%, and 3) dropped the decel enleanment table 2 units between 64-160 deg C. I made these changes to resolve cold start idle issues and deceleration popping issues. It has been about a week since using this calibration, and my conclusion is that installing the Wood 777 cams into a stock 103" work quite well. The bike experiences none of the issues I had before, with all of the Vtune runs, and runs smoothly through the entire power band. There's an impressive amount of power right around 3000-3500k RPMs. The issues I had at 2000k rpm are gone. It pulls solid from 2-3k. So for now, the bike is really running well and performs to expectations. The global disclamer with all of this is that I chose the Wood 777 cam based on my riding style. I wanted a unique/boutique cam to maximize hp on the upper RPM band. This is not a "bar hopper" cam. I also found the 777 cam kind of difficult to get dialed in and calibrated (i.e. VE table issues), but the TTS software is robust enough, that with a little bit of research, patience, AND TIME, a "do it yourself" person like me, can get it done. Finally, the information I provided in this thread was based on my experience with my particular bike. Also - without the help of others on this forum (i.e. Mr Wizard) and several phone calls to TTS - I wouldn't have been able to get it calibrated.

Attached Thumbnails TTS Mastertune Information-2012-flhx-w-wood-777-cams.jpg  

Last edited by wideglidewy; 04-06-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:24 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

I think Steve was of more help here... At your sea level height, cams and exhaust it is rare for someone to bring such issues to this thread. We all learn. Thanks for posting

Old 04-08-2015, 10:03 AM
Wmitz
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 135 Posts

As I posted earlier, I ran my previous vtunes through the vt3 software, accepting all the Egr changes. The map developed a hole in 15-20 kpa as I mentioned. I had taken the bike out and posted a couple of egr plots which were on the money. As an experiment, I took the current (latest) egr tables put them the vtune map and ran them thru the vt3 software again not accepting the egr changes. The ve tables are almost identical in all areas except now there was no hole. It kept the 15-20 kpa areas in the low 60's where before in was in the low 40's. Anyone else see that in their workings with the new software? I'll be getting out later this week for some more tuning, but just wanted to put out some info what I have seen.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:42 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

How big of a hole are we talking about? Can you post a screenshot or post a copy of your calibration so we can see?

Old 04-08-2015, 12:15 PM
Wmitz
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 135 Posts

Here is a shot of the front ve table no changes to the ve's, all egr changes were accepted.

Attached Thumbnails TTS Mastertune Information-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information