Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 08:07 PM
nottaway
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The plugs have 2k on them and afaik the CCS and wires are 2009 originals.

The knock does seem to localize at the same rpm and map i just didnt ever quite squash it. I think at the end i had reduced timing approx 10 degrees and was still seeing the knock.

How much retardation is too much? The base map is for a different cam/pipe combo so it could be off significantly.

Whats the risk in retarding too much? What does too much retarded timing do to the engine operation?

Old 03-17-2015, 08:32 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 567 Likes on 393 Posts

Are you pulling timing at the spark event or are you backing up a couple of frames? I start by pulling half of what the ECM does.

Vtune3 works with spark correction and MT8 calibrations.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:37 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by nottaway
The plugs have 2k on them and afaik the CCS and wires are 2009 originals.

The knock does seem to localize at the same rpm and map i just didnt ever quite squash it. I think at the end i had reduced timing approx 10 degrees and was still seeing the knock.

How much retardation is too much? The base map is for a different cam/pipe combo so it could be off significantly.

Whats the risk in retarding too much? What does too much retarded timing do to the engine operation?
Compare your spark tables to a stock table. If they are close then there is an issue with something else. What causes knock retard, seek out and review mechanically too. 6 year old wires? Not sure but cheap to replace.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:31 AM
nottaway
Tourer

Originally Posted by hrdtail78
Are you pulling timing at the spark event or are you backing up a couple of frames? I start by pulling half of what the ECM does.

Vtune3 works with spark correction and MT8 calibrations.
I was pulling at the event but generally rounded out to make sure the event was contained in the resolution limitations of the spark tables. Should I extend around the area a cell or two around the event?

Thats good to know(VT3 works on MT8s), I might try that this weekend and see how it works.

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Compare your spark tables to a stock table. If they are close then there is an issue with something else. What causes knock retard, seek out and review mechanically too. 6 year old wires? Not sure but cheap to replace.
OK, what is a "stock table?" A base tune for myt bike with no mods?

I would think if the wires were giving a mis fire that the ECM would kick a code but your right cheap to replace and see. I'll go down that road if using the bar graph to pinpoint events does not work out.

Another thing I wanted to ask. Is it normal to see more files captured in a a flight recorder run than you have key cycles? IOW I routinely see more data files than key cycles. Last time I had three key cycles and five data files. Some are small and others are much larger.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:37 PM
hrdtail78
Road Warrior
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 567 Likes on 393 Posts

I find the spark event in the trace and back up a couple of frames. The spark event that gets logged is the ECM's reaction to the event. Not the event. And just to make it clear. If it pulls 6 degrees and then decays to 4 then 2. I worry about the 6 and back up from the ECM's first reaction of taking out. Not decaying it back in.

Flight recorder: It depends how you have it set up. You can make log files 5 minutes long or you can make them 5 hours long. Or key cycles. If you are doing 30 minute data collection rides. Have the logs an hour long. Then it will all be in one for ya.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:55 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

HT has it hit on the head... Data = history not actual event time.

Most people use the basic menu on the Flight Recorder so the default time when using standard will reflect the number of files not key on's. Default is fine and number of files is fine but if I remember correctly... VTune can only use 6 files to import? It maybe more... just can't remember.

Old 03-18-2015, 10:51 PM
slyedog
Elite HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by rgr357
np and thanks for confirming & helping point me in down the road.

Thanks Wiz, Ill definaly look at doing that before I start VTuning. Was very happy to see the DAC358-03 in a MT9 format but was also a bit conserned about the variations.
As far as ignition time if you go back few pages you'll see a Dropbox I posted. It is a dyno tune with a dad358-03. Now I was in same boat as you minus the compression bump and a different exhaust. Was tuning off the dab358-01 myself till dyno. Seems the dad358 has better timing match. Try the dad358-03 and work the ve tables some. After a few v tunes run a data log and see if any timing gets pulled due to knock. If good finish the ve tables then start working the timing, egr, etc.

Old 03-20-2015, 08:28 AM
nottaway
Tourer

Whats the consensus on how well the Vtune3 program works the timing?

I ran The Vtune3 and it pulled in same areas i had manually chosen however it only pulled fractions of a degree. I was gonna pull like 3 degrees judging by the amount of retard applied?

Also it looks like Vtune3 pulls timing for the entire spark adjustment event including area that timing is gradually added back.....

Old 03-22-2015, 09:38 AM
rgr357
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
Go ahead and take a few degrees out of the timing area.

Make a block from 2000 to 4000 RPM's from 30 kPa to 80, highlight them and decrement 10 units one time to retard the timing by 2.5*. Do this to both cylinders before VTuning with the 57 and the extra compression.
From which table(s), Im presuming spark advance for each cyl?

Old 03-22-2015, 11:42 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member

That is correct.

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information