Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 01:54 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by kjmichael86
Hey every one I'm looking for some help collecting data with v tune. I'm having trouble getting data from 15% throttle position and on. Is anyone here experienced with this procedure? I keep getting too high of a map reading. How do you getting good data in all ranges and higher rpms?

Mods: 106" 2012 dyna , s&s mr103 cams, hillside stage 4 heads, 55mm t/b, 5.3 g/s fuel injectors, zippers max flow air cleaner, rb racing 2to1 exhaust.
I have the advantage of being able to use a tablet on my left handlebar so I can see exactly what I'm doing.. cat's meow if you ask me..

take some painters tape and wrap it around the part of your throttle side switch housing that doesn't move closest to the twist grip
mark a line at the bottom facing you (hand off throttle) and this will represent 0% TP
now crack throttle wide open and mark it at the top. this will represent 100% TP
now mark the painters tape 1/2 way and that will be 50%
mark painters tape 1/2 of that in both directions and that will represent 25% and 75%

As I was taught, you want to start small. do your 0 - 3000 RPM runs first to get those dialed in.
so start in 1st gear and slowly but steadily twist your grip holding it for about 10 - 15 seconds in say 1/8" increments all the way to 3000 rpms
now drop into 2nd at as low a speed as you can handle and do the same thing.

do this throughout 6th gear

work those VEs

then move onto the higher end of the spectrum. There is no need to kill yourself doing this.

Old 05-02-2014, 02:23 PM
kjmichael86
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
I have the advantage of being able to use a tablet on my left handlebar so I can see exactly what I'm doing.. cat's meow if you ask me..

take some painters tape and wrap it around the part of your throttle side switch housing that doesn't move closest to the twist grip
mark a line at the bottom facing you (hand off throttle) and this will represent 0% TP
now crack throttle wide open and mark it at the top. this will represent 100% TP
now mark the painters tape 1/2 way and that will be 50%
mark painters tape 1/2 of that in both directions and that will represent 25% and 75%

As I was taught, you want to start small. do your 0 - 3000 RPM runs first to get those dialed in.
so start in 1st gear and slowly but steadily twist your grip holding it for about 10 - 15 seconds in say 1/8" increments all the way to 3000 rpms
now drop into 2nd at as low a speed as you can handle and do the same thing.

do this throughout 6th gear

work those VEs

then move onto the higher end of the spectrum. There is no need to kill yourself doing this.

here is a screen shot of my first vtune run using only 1st and 2nd gear

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ed5u797aj...502_151705.jpg

Should I be taking off in 3rd and 4th gear from idle with a slow roll the same way i did with 1st and 2nd? Id imagine when I try to do this in especially 5th and 6th the bike is just going to bog down. Do I need to apply brakes to simulate load?

Old 05-02-2014, 03:05 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

you're doing great

Should I be taking off in 3rd and 4th gear from idle with a slow roll the same way i did with 1st and 2nd? Id imagine when I try to do this in especially 5th and 6th the bike is just going to bog down.
no.. you want to go as low speed and rpm as you can without lugging the motor too bad. A little lugging doesn't hurt but don't over do it.
Do I need to apply brakes to simulate load?
yes especially when you get up in the tall gears to help you get the low TPS and RPMs. Again don't over do it, be gentle. Don't want to overheat or wear out your brake pads either.

Old 05-02-2014, 10:30 PM
kjmichael86
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
you're doing great

no.. you want to go as low speed and rpm as you can without lugging the motor too bad. A little lugging doesn't hurt but don't over do it.

yes especially when you get up in the tall gears to help you get the low TPS and RPMs. Again don't over do it, be gentle. Don't want to overheat or wear out your brake pads either.

Okay I'll try it out again tomorrow. Sorry to ask so man but I have one more...how do i collect data at the Higher rpms/throttle position without killing myself? I'd imagine I'm gonna be going pretty fast no?

Old 05-03-2014, 05:53 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

...how do i collect data at the Higher rpms/throttle position without killing myself? I'd imagine I'm gonna be going pretty fast no?
This is where you'll get some help from steep hills and carrying a passenger.

But don't get yourself into trouble trying to hit those upper cells...most of your normal riding may not even get to those. While it might help for blending purposes, everyday riding will not be affected that much by less-then-ideal data hits in those areas.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:32 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I go no higher, v-tuning, than 4500 on a dyno. I do not see what anyone doing DIY should.

That being said, one must REALLY put forth an effort to gain as many cells as possible below that 4500.

Old 05-03-2014, 03:36 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Should I be taking off in 3rd and 4th gear from idle with a slow roll the same way i did with 1st and 2nd? Id imagine when I try to do this in especially 5th and 6th the bike is just going to bog down. Do I need to apply brakes to simulate load?
What you really need to do, when starting out is get the 1750 to 2500 rows to the purple check marks. You have not done so, yet... and need to learn how to collect data before you move further ahead. This is easily done at this low rpm by using higher gears and using hills, if any are available.

A decent v-tune can be made once you have solid purple squares in 1750 to 2500 rpms.

Old 05-04-2014, 06:56 AM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
I go no higher, v-tuning, than 4500 on a dyno. I do not see what anyone doing DIY should.

That being said, one must REALLY put forth an effort to gain as many cells as possible below that 4500.
Scratching my head on this one truk.

Although it is darn near impossible to fill in the complete gambit of cells on the histogram while riding I have no issues getting to 6000 RPM's as long as the motor is broken in. Can you tell me why it's not a good idea to get over 4500?

Old 05-04-2014, 07:23 AM
98Ultra
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wurk_truk
What you really need to do, when starting out is get the 1750 to 2500 rows to the purple check marks. You have not done so, yet... and need to learn how to collect data before you move further ahead. This is easily done at this low rpm by using higher gears and using hills, if any are available.

A decent v-tune can be made once you have solid purple squares in 1750 to 2500 rpms.

I think I missed this part about purple check marks. Where would I see this? I see purple squares in my VE tables on vtune8 but didn't notice any check marks any where.

Old 05-04-2014, 09:32 PM
punchdrunkslim
Advanced

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1xe5d0sqt1...ve%20table.png

so if someone can check out my latest vtune and give some advice i would appreciate it.

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information