Ignition/Tuner/ECM/Fuel Injection Need advice on ignition issues? Questions about a tuner? Have questions about a EFI calibration or Fuel Injection? Tips on Engine Diagnostics, how to get codes, and what they mean. Find your answers here.

TTS Mastertune Information

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 02:38 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
here's my map from ed. identical settings across the board except for VEs.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8wb5iy9jdm...oddwedlake.MT8
Sad part is there are others out there just like him. I had a local tune my bike some years ago on the advice of several people who said he was the best. Yep, he was the best at making an engine ping and run hot. When I looked at the map sure enough the front and rear VE and timing tables were identical. When I ask him why they were the same he said he tuned the front VE's and used them on the rear because the rear isn't going to be much different. The timing explanation was a real hoot, he used his special timing tables which were proven from his years of experience.

Old 12-05-2013, 05:27 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by msocko3
The timing explanation was a real hoot, he used his special timing tables which were proven from his years of experience.
and developed by one of his buddies that is an Excel developer for Microsoft.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:37 PM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 596 Likes on 314 Posts

I'm not sure I understand the bash Ed philosophy. I looked at the map from ultranutz and it is not the same, the front spark tables are different for a start. Far from "identical".

As for the throttle being 1 to 1, perhaps that is my preference. I don't have a problem with bumps. Perhaps you should not ride with your wrist up. Basic MSF principal, wrist down.

Not sure about "motor safeties" but I agree, the adaptive knock should probably be turned back on.

How does EGR work? I've been told on this forum that Mastertune/Datamaster is broke in that area. So I guess no changer there is to be expected.

Ed did my 2009 Stage Two, and I was quite happy. Ed has a great reputation, except for this thread and a couple of competitors. I guess that is to be expected.

I'd be happy to ride down to Atlanta for a tune, then compare the results and pay only for the one I like best.

I interviewed a tuner in Austin, and one in Fort Worth. The one in Fort Worth said he trained the one in Austin. I was not impressed, so I went with someone I trusted, as in a repeat customer.

Ya'all stay warm now, hear....

Old 12-05-2013, 06:54 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

May want to read my post again Greg. I didn't bash anyone. I told you the truth as I do with every one who posts their data.

The only part of the EGR that is broken is the analyzer view. The EGR table adjustments work fine.

No need to ride to Atlanta with money. I'll do it for free and it will beat your tuners cal.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:57 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by r0de_runr
I'm not sure I understand the bash Ed philosophy. I looked at the map from ultranutz and it is not the same, the front spark tables are different for a start. Far from "identical".

As for the throttle being 1 to 1, perhaps that is my preference. I don't have a problem with bumps. Perhaps you should not ride with your wrist up. Basic MSF principal, wrist down.

Not sure about "motor safeties" but I agree, the adaptive knock should probably be turned back on.

How does EGR work? I've been told on this forum that Mastertune/Datamaster is broke in that area. So I guess no changer there is to be expected.

Ed did my 2009 Stage Two, and I was quite happy. Ed has a great reputation, except for this thread and a couple of competitors. I guess that is to be expected.

I'd be happy to ride down to Atlanta for a tune, then compare the results and pay only for the one I like best.

I interviewed a tuner in Austin, and one in Fort Worth. The one in Fort Worth said he trained the one in Austin. I was not impressed, so I went with someone I trusted, as in a repeat customer.

Ya'all stay warm now, hear....
and a lesson in MSF techniques....

Not bashing Ed nor was I bashing your tune. I'm well aware of his reputation and that's precisely why I chose him over many others tuners. Lighten up dude... What I was concerned with is the maxxed out throttle blade control. It's not how I ride nor did I ask for it to be that way but it was an easy fix for me so I fixed it.

EGR. well IMO (and I'm no expert that's for sure) it's a very important part of the tuning process as it helps to smooth out the VE tables which in turn will make the bike run better. Take a look at your (and my) VE tables front and rear and then look at the graphs for each. They're supposed to be smoother than they are with no peaks and valleys. You and I both have TONS of peaks and valleys. That's what EGR does for the VEs, smoothes those peaks and valleys out but takes time to do it. The fact that the EGR Analyzer is broken at the moment is no big deal because the EGR tables work perfectly fine. It worked previous to the latest software release and will work again very shortly along with other new options.

**And for the record**
If I needed a tune quickly before a trip like I did with Ed this last go round, I would use him again in a heartbeat because I trust him more than I trust the other tuners around here which is exactly what I get from reading your comment about the interviewing you did with the 2 other tuners after Ed had already tuned your 09 previously. Unless I read that incorrectly.

Last edited by UltraNutZ; 12-05-2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:05 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mr. Wizard
May want to read my post again Greg. I didn't bash anyone. I told you the truth as I do with every one who posts their data.

The only part of the EGR that is broken is the analyzer view. The EGR table adjustments work fine.

No need to ride to Atlanta with money. I'll do it for free and it will beat your tuners cal.
Sometimes I hate Wiz's truths too.. Cause it means more work for me.. LOL

Old 12-05-2013, 07:06 PM
Dozer40
Road Warrior
Received 328 Likes on 176 Posts
Old 12-05-2013, 08:05 PM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior

Received 596 Likes on 314 Posts

Ok, Nutz,and Wiz. I stand corrected.. Some comments bordered on philosophical differences and well.....in any event.

I had my dongle in spark tune data collection all the way back from dallas. Will a bad spark plug wire show up as spark retard? Happened pretty regularly at about 2500 rpm, 60 map, 35 degrees advance.

Take a look at the last file in this stack: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1ueriiyg7eosj0n/L31gRRvidg (r37)

I'm gonna ask some questions about matching front and rear spark tables.

As for "wrist down" I swear I yelled that at every student at least ten times in the first range hour.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:20 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member

I'm thinking you meant spark advance. that to me looks to be in the normal range.. the knock retard on the front and rear cylinders though... I'm thinking maybe some bad gas? how did the bike run? any pinging?

Old 12-05-2013, 08:51 PM
Mr. Wizard
Club Member
Received 2,043 Likes on 1,105 Posts

Originally Posted by UltraNutZ
I'm thinking you meant spark advance. that to me looks to be in the normal range.. the knock retard on the front and rear cylinders though... I'm thinking maybe some bad gas? how did the bike run? any pinging?

Look at R37. Front knock everywhere. One rear knock at WOT

Front knock is right where I said the timing was maxed out. Low kPa mid to high RPM's

Last edited by Mr. Wizard; 12-05-2013 at 08:53 PM.

Quick Reply: TTS Mastertune Information